Can't use front camera... HELP!

Search This thread

nuts77

Dec 15, 2011
Hi everyone,

I need help to sort out an issue about my front facing camera.

My phone is stock WWE version, I took the first OTA (1.54.401.5 I believe), then unlocked bootloader, rooted and installed ARHD 6.0.

Everything was working fine, then I flashed version 7.0 few days ago (without upgrading firware, as I'm one of the poor "Whelp" guys with firewater, so I couldn't get s-off) and now my front camera won't work. When I try to select it, camera application force closes and I'm back to homescreen. If I try to setup face unlock, I get a message saying sth like "Can't connect to front camera".

I've tried other ROMs like InsertCoin, same issue. Only way I could get it back to work again for a while was flashing Maximus HD.

I have NO IDEA what is going wrong here.
I doubt it is a hardware issue as everything has been working flawlessly for some weeks. So my question is, could it be a problem of ROM/firware version compatibility? Can keeping an "old" firmware cause this kind of issues?

Thanks a lot for your help!

nuts77

Dec 15, 2011
right now, installing OTA (after going back to stock rom & recovery), hope things will get fixed...
I might be f***d for S-off since 1.54.xxx.10 patches the firewater exploit, but anyway...

onefasttreopro

May 8, 2009
I had similar issue after 2 months...my ffc 'disappeared' when I used a system info app to check hardware etc. and also noticed the duo effects stopped working...swiping to ffc in camera app didn't do anything either...weird...took to Sprint store and they verified and I had new phone sent in as replacement.

Sent from my 831C using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: nuts77

nuts77

Dec 15, 2011
Thanks for your feedback...

afterfirmware update, same issue, on ARHD and even on Stock ROM 1.54.xxx.10. Started to think itwas a hardware issue, thinking of sending the phone in HTC warranty (although I unlocked the bootloader) then I tried to flash maximus HD 4.0 again and WOOSH, issue gone!! FFC works as it should again. STRANGE as hell.

If anyone has a clue on how to solve this...

nuts77

Dec 15, 2011
Hello,

What version of Maximus HD did you flash?
I used version 4.0.

Well, what is strange is that after a while I switched to ARHD 8.0, then 8.1. All went well until last weekend, boom, issue is here again.

I'm thinking of a few things :

- software issue cause by God knows what.
probably not as I have had the issue with many ROMS, whatever version I'm using when it pops up.
Might be other apps but issue remains with clean install...

- Other hardware issue not related to phone (SD card...)
probabbly not as I tried to remove SD card, restart phone, same issue.

- hardware issue with the FFC, coming and going. In that case, not much to do apart from trying to get an exchange model.
maybe...

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
You could S-OFF using Sunshine and then reflash everything from the beginning and see what happens. Also means you'll get the right firmware on your phone as well

nuts77

Dec 15, 2011
Hi EddyOs, and thanks.

Yes, did S-Off when sunshine was released. I used it to install HK audio mod on ARHD 8.1
Issue only came back recently, and hasn't gone since...

I'm completely lost here. Can a hardware issue be temporary, go, and come back? Seems strange to me.

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
Hi EddyOs, and thanks.

Yes, did S-Off when sunshine was released. I used it to install HK audio mod on ARHD 8.1

I'm completely lost here. Can a hardware issue be temporary, go, and come back? Seems strange to me.

Well hit it with a hammer, if it still doesn't do anything then perhaps it wasn't hardware but software. :silly:

Seriously though, Yes hardware issues can "come and go" intermittently. I see that crap all the time at work.

Could try and completely start from scratch again and see if it helps like Eddy suggested, if it's a hardware problem then naturally it'll have to be sent back but luckly you have S-OFF so you can return to stock fully. Unlucky for you however, if the device gets exchanged then it means you'll have to fork out another $25 for S-OFF as it's a 1 phone only license :(

nuts77

Dec 15, 2011
after five days, issue is gone. Now everything seems to work normally.
No hit, no drop, no shock whatsoever.

Now just waiting for the issue to come back... :rolleyes:

Mafiakillers

Feb 28, 2012
I am also facing same issue..some1 Help,.

hello friends.. recently selfie option in camera is missing in my htc m8 phone.
Even i downloaded Selfie application from google play, But Front camera is not working..
Some one help us please..

IF any 1 got the solution, please post it here

onefasttreopro

May 8, 2009
Isn't there a HTC diagnostics code that you can use to test all features...that might help to see if hardware in fact has failed...that's basically what HTC would do if you were to call them...forgot the key combo off hand

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had similar issue after 2 months...my ffc 'disappeared' when I used a system info app to check hardware etc. and also noticed the duo effects stopped working...swiping to ffc in camera app didn't do anything either...weird...took to Sprint store and they verified and I had new phone sent in as replacement.

Sent from my 831C using XDA Free mobile app
    I have the same problem, I flashed the MaximusHD and doesn't work:crying:
    You could S-OFF using Sunshine and then reflash everything from the beginning and see what happens. Also means you'll get the right firmware on your phone as well
    Hi EddyOs, and thanks.

Well hit it with a hammer, if it still doesn't do anything then perhaps it wasn't hardware but software. :silly:

Seriously though, Yes hardware issues can "come and go" intermittently. I see that crap all the time at work.

Could try and completely start from scratch again and see if it helps like Eddy suggested, if it's a hardware problem then naturally it'll have to be sent back but luckly you have S-OFF so you can return to stock fully. Unlucky for you however, if the device gets exchanged then it means you'll have to fork out another $25 for S-OFF as it's a 1 phone only license :(