[Q] Restoring apps gone wrong - now rebooting constantly? plz help

Search This thread

djkoch

Sep 22, 2009
Hi there
I've unfortunately gotten a faulty devices and I'm suppose to get it switched with a new device. (another story about not being able to make calls, scrathing sound etc)

I've rooted my phone and it worked flawlessly, but today I wanted to un-root and would install the apps i've removed with root explorer. Therefore I downloaded a system/ dump and tried restoring the "app" directory in system/ with root explorer. This resulted in random force closes
Then I used "adb" su to copy all the app files from sdcard (where I copied the files from the dump) to the system/app directory. After a while it was done and I type reboot... [Bricked?]

Now the phone keeps rebooting. Getting the LG logo with sound and afterwards the LG logo with progress bar... then rebooting...

I need help :(

Last edited:

mirsalimov

Jul 25, 2006
The Hague
Hi there
I've unfortunately gotten a faulty devices and I'm suppose to get it switched with a new device. (another story about not being able to make calls, scrathing sound etc)

I've rooted my phone and it worked flawlessly, but today I wanted to un-root and would install the apps i've removed with root explorer. Therefore I downloaded a system/ dump and tried restoring the "app" directory in system/ with root explorer. This resulted in random force closes
Then I used "adb" su to copy all the app files from sdcard (where I copied the files from the dump) to the system/app directory. After a while it was done and I type reboot...

Now the phone keeps rebooting. Getting the LG logo with sound and afterwards the LG logo with progress bar... then rebooting...

I need help :(

Try to hard reset, turn off your phone press volume - and power.

djkoch

Sep 22, 2009
Thanks for the response... When I press power+volume down, the "unpacking box with android person" appears for a 20 seconds or so... the reboots and I'm back to rebooting constantly :(

When I try pressing volume down and home key/returnkey I can get in to S/W update mode, but I cant get the ADB to work?

Other suggestions?

djkoch

Sep 22, 2009
That's why its a bad idea to delete stock apps in the first place when we don't have custom recovery yet.

It wasnt a problem when deleting them, and the phone was alright... it was when restoring through ADB it went wrong... I need a suggestion to get it fixed not an "I-told-you-so"

Last edited:

gensplejs

Sep 14, 2008
Århus
Yeah... sorry... i was kinda an ass.
But sadly I'm all out of ideas.

Maybe if we had a service manual (not user manual)

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA Premium App

djkoch

Sep 22, 2009
Hi Doc
No... unfortunately I cant get ADB to work....
I can get into S/W update mode, but ADB doesnt work. I can get the Factory reset to begin too, but it just gets into the reboot circle again.

If there was just a way to get into ADB mode I could push every single file again :)

Damn... I hope it isn't bricked for good :(

xmoo

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2006
Eindhoven
www.Mohammad.Moghtader.net
If HR doesn't work. Just return for warrenty.

Cause if it reboots that a corrupted boot.img
Try to see if you can get alist of apps installed on phone.
If superuser.apk is not in there, return it for warrenty.

djkoch

Sep 22, 2009
In one of the reboots I think I had a glimse of a connection thru ADB acouple of times. I had approx. 10 seconds before rebooting again.

Did a list... and guess I saw a dir called "root" but didnt have time to get into the system/app directory...

If we can't find a solution I think I'll try to return the phone and hope for a new one without any question asked :)

djkoch

Sep 22, 2009
Yes I've tried the LG update tool. It says it has a new update, but the current firmware version doesn't show, and when I'm trying to do the update It aborts and says that the phone cannot be updated... :(

I just tried the Factory Reset and you can abort the reset when the "unpacking box" is showing by pressing the home key. Then you get into the 3e recovery menu... But there no way to select an option. Would have tried to wipe cache partition and data/factory reset. In the text it only says "formatting DATA:..., Formatting CACHE:..., Formatting MISC:..."

Last edited:

mirsalimov

Jul 25, 2006
The Hague
Yes I've tried the LG update tool. It says it has a new update, but the current firmware version doesn't show, and when I'm trying to do the update It aborts and says that the phone cannot be updated... :(

I just tried the Factory Reset and you can abort the reset when the "unpacking box" is showing by pressing the home key. Then you get into the 3e recovery menu... But there no way to select an option. Would have tried to wipe cache partition and data/factory reset. In the text it only says "formatting DATA:..., Formatting CACHE:..., Formatting MISC:..."

There in no way to restore you phone now because we don't have any tools that's work with optimus 2x.
Bring it back to retailer and say that phone is just not booting and you want a replacement.

djmcnz

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
Edit: Well... discount the advice below for the time being... I've found myself in the same position and the commands below don't work.

My phone is also now useless... :eek:

I replied to your thread over at MoDoCo, and although the thread has gone off track it does have Paul's attention.

Oh dear.

I tend to agree, whilst it will be recoverable it could be very time consuming.

A factory reset will wipe cache and dalvik cache, so that's not your problem.

Neither is boot.img your problem, that will be intact.

However, if you can't get a console (via adb or terminal) you're in a difficult position.

Try issuing the 'stop' command in your brief adb window to see if you can preserve the shell.

Code:
$ su
# stop

If you can then try and mount /system rw

If you can do that then you can possibly self recover... by carefully and selectively adding files to /system/app/, rebooting and trying, again and again.

Last edited: