[OLD VERSION][ROM] Vanilla AOSP Gingerbread (updated 20110329)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

kornyone

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 26, 2008
Mountain View, CA
github.com
Vanilla Flavored AOSP

Gtablet AOSP is a project for pure vanilla Android with the Gtablet. It aims to be barebones and as true to the AOSP code as possible. The Google AOSP code is modified as little as possible to provide functionality, and the ability to boot. It is stripped down for modification by the end user.

Using CyanogenMod device files, Pershoot's latest kernel (20110328, 2.6.32.36), and some cherry picked cyanogenmod/nv-tegra files, a functional 'rom' and a github repo for this project has been created. As functionality has been added since inception, more pieces from Cyanogen are making there way in (browser fix and tweaks, some under the hood stuff, internal storage fixes, etc) to improve overall experience. All variances from original AOSP code is visible via the public git.

Huge props to the Gtablet and the Cyanogen development community. Without your work, this wouldn't be possible.

Huge thanks to EJHart for his direct assistance with this project. Also, thanks to Bekit, Pershoot, GoJimi, Cyanogenmod team, Google... and I am probably missing others... This project would not be where it is without all of their work.

To use this rom, you will use ClockwordMod to flash the zip file as you would any other rom. I have only used ClockworkMod .8 in my testing.

DISCLAIMER: I cannot be held liable for anything you do to your GTablet. Make sure you are comfortable with recovery tools, such as nvflash, before proceeding. Though the rom is quite functional and stable in basic testing, this project is in early beta stages.

Download RC2 --http://www.mediafire.com/?t2rwxm9p9e4bcb7
MD5 -- fbb79ab9f4da245bb3ab2a320369f95b

*NOTE* GAPPS 20110307 for MDPI will not work.
Use the 20110120 MDPI GAPPS (for example, http://android.d3xt3r01.tk/cyanogen/gapps/gapps-gb-20110120-signed.zip).

Known Issues:
  • Most if not all the issues facing Cyanogen 7

Changes since RC1:
  • Latest Pershoot 20110328 kernel.
  • Browser crash loading google.com homepage is now fixed. This should resolve browser fc across the board.
  • Added User Agent, Fullscreen, Zoom controls, and Incognito to Browser.
  • Added Reboot to Power menu (intentionally excluding the recovery/bootloader options).
  • Fixed EMMC and basic information for Internal Storage in Settings->Storage.
  • Removed phone signal indicator, and tablified numerous text values.
  • Latest from AOSP Master (not much new since RC1).
  • Removal of extraneous junk, like speech recorder, voice dialer, and mms.

Retired changelog:
RC1 - Beta2:
  • My Apps now works in Market. Google Maps no longer force closes. -There is a downside to this-. The fix involves altering the LCD Density, which causes some apps to not scale properly.
  • Media on EMMC is now scanned and available in Music/Gallery/etc.
  • Live Wallpapers work.
  • Pershoot kernel 20110307
  • A bunch of under the hood stuff due to major changes upstream from AOSP.
Beta2 - Beta1:
  • AOSP is now pulling from master branch, making it version 2.3.3_r1.
  • Camera functions for still pictures. No mirroring or rotation issues. Video recording still not working.
  • Latest NVidia 3991 libs included (noticeable performance increase).
  • Pershoot kernel 20110301
Beta1 - Initial release:
  • Fixed EMMC.
  • Steamlined compile process.
  • Addition of Spare Parts/Dev Tools (possibly removed in future versions)

BUILD YOUR OWN:

GitHub -- https://github.com/aosp-gtablet

Use this project from github to create your own image:
repo init -u git://github.com/aosp-gtablet/gtablet-aosp.git

The process for CM7 will work. Run extract-files.sh, run envsetup.sh, lunch, make -j[X] bacon. Anything more is outside the scope of this post.

** Additional notes -- GoJimi's Soft Buttons are available in the source code, but are disabled in this release.

I am a minimalist, and I know there are others. I hope others enjoy, and help make this a better project :)
Please let me know what bugs you find so I can work on them! Thanks.

Last edited:

jooky2000

Jan 5, 2011
Sold! Will give this a try and report back. Nice writeup too. Is it true, development only available on linux?

kornyone

Aug 26, 2008
Mountain View, CA
github.com
Holy crap! This rom is whip fast! Have you installed gapps or monitored battery life on it yet?
I have installed GAPPS, they work with the exception of the same Market/My Apps bug found in the CyanogenMod rom. I think it's fast too. I have not run battery test, or benchmarked it thoroughly. Someone has already recommended a possible fix for the 3d textures, that might help Quadrant run successfully. Without textures and all, I did get one run of Quadrant to complete (after numerous tries) and received a ~2100 score. Not the best, I know, but it still seems very snappy.

jooky2000

Jan 5, 2011
Not a quadrant user myself. Just the feel of it is impressive. I will report back with battery stats tomorrow.

Solid work getting this to the masses. Thanks.

jooky2000

Jan 5, 2011
Yes Japanese IME keyboard and whatever that japanese character app is.. I don't read japanese (or Chinese) heck if I know.

Cell related services murdered my battery so swapped out for now. Fast ROM though thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

gdanko

Oct 4, 2010
San Diego, CA
Would you send me a copy of your extract-files.sh? I'd like to see what you're pulling. Is the audio driver for the G Tablet open source? I'd be curious to see if we can't build a 2.3 driver.

kornyone

Aug 26, 2008
Mountain View, CA
github.com
Would you send me a copy of your extract-files.sh? I'd like to see what you're pulling. Is the audio driver for the G Tablet open source? I'd be curious to see if we can't build a 2.3 driver.
The image is built using the device files from the CM7 repo, lightly modified and forked to it's own repo. This includes extract-files.sh, which is identical to that in CM7. I didn't see a point to re-invent the wheel on this step, as bekit & co. have done such an excellent job. It does not impact on the outcome of this being an AOSP image. Among other things (like defining hardware specifics in BoardConfig.mk), the device files bring in the core libraries already on your GTablet. This includes libaudio.so.

thebadfrog

Nov 28, 2010
If the rom is based on GB then screen shots at this point are not possible as ddms doesnt work with GB. It looks just like plain jane vanilla android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Vanilla Flavored AOSP

Gtablet AOSP is a project for pure vanilla Android with the Gtablet. It aims to be barebones and as true to the AOSP code as possible. The Google AOSP code is modified as little as possible to provide functionality, and the ability to boot. It is stripped down for modification by the end user.

Using CyanogenMod device files, Pershoot's latest kernel (20110328, 2.6.32.36), and some cherry picked cyanogenmod/nv-tegra files, a functional 'rom' and a github repo for this project has been created. As functionality has been added since inception, more pieces from Cyanogen are making there way in (browser fix and tweaks, some under the hood stuff, internal storage fixes, etc) to improve overall experience. All variances from original AOSP code is visible via the public git.

Huge props to the Gtablet and the Cyanogen development community. Without your work, this wouldn't be possible.

Huge thanks to EJHart for his direct assistance with this project. Also, thanks to Bekit, Pershoot, GoJimi, Cyanogenmod team, Google... and I am probably missing others... This project would not be where it is without all of their work.

To use this rom, you will use ClockwordMod to flash the zip file as you would any other rom. I have only used ClockworkMod .8 in my testing.

DISCLAIMER: I cannot be held liable for anything you do to your GTablet. Make sure you are comfortable with recovery tools, such as nvflash, before proceeding. Though the rom is quite functional and stable in basic testing, this project is in early beta stages.

Download RC2 --http://www.mediafire.com/?t2rwxm9p9e4bcb7
    MD5 -- fbb79ab9f4da245bb3ab2a320369f95b

*NOTE* GAPPS 20110307 for MDPI will not work.
    Use the 20110120 MDPI GAPPS (for example, http://android.d3xt3r01.tk/cyanogen/gapps/gapps-gb-20110120-signed.zip).

Known Issues:
    • Most if not all the issues facing Cyanogen 7

Changes since RC1:
    • Latest Pershoot 20110328 kernel.
    • Browser crash loading google.com homepage is now fixed. This should resolve browser fc across the board.
    • Added User Agent, Fullscreen, Zoom controls, and Incognito to Browser.
    • Added Reboot to Power menu (intentionally excluding the recovery/bootloader options).
    • Fixed EMMC and basic information for Internal Storage in Settings->Storage.
    • Removed phone signal indicator, and tablified numerous text values.
    • Latest from AOSP Master (not much new since RC1).
    • Removal of extraneous junk, like speech recorder, voice dialer, and mms.

Retired changelog:
    RC1 - Beta2:
    • My Apps now works in Market. Google Maps no longer force closes. -There is a downside to this-. The fix involves altering the LCD Density, which causes some apps to not scale properly.
    • Media on EMMC is now scanned and available in Music/Gallery/etc.
    • Live Wallpapers work.
    • Pershoot kernel 20110307
    • A bunch of under the hood stuff due to major changes upstream from AOSP.
    Beta2 - Beta1:
    • AOSP is now pulling from master branch, making it version 2.3.3_r1.
    • Camera functions for still pictures. No mirroring or rotation issues. Video recording still not working.
    • Latest NVidia 3991 libs included (noticeable performance increase).
    • Pershoot kernel 20110301
    Beta1 - Initial release:
    • Fixed EMMC.
    • Steamlined compile process.
    • Addition of Spare Parts/Dev Tools (possibly removed in future versions)

BUILD YOUR OWN:

GitHub -- https://github.com/aosp-gtablet

Use this project from github to create your own image:
    repo init -u git://github.com/aosp-gtablet/gtablet-aosp.git

The process for CM7 will work. Run extract-files.sh, run envsetup.sh, lunch, make -j[X] bacon. Anything more is outside the scope of this post.

** Additional notes -- GoJimi's Soft Buttons are available in the source code, but are disabled in this release.

I am a minimalist, and I know there are others. I hope others enjoy, and help make this a better project :)
    Please let me know what bugs you find so I can work on them! Thanks.
    What is good battery life for you or anybody using any ROM? I get about 3 days Max on Zpad 3.0 and all other roms much less. This rom was dead in about 24 hours when I first tried it. So fast though. I really wanted to keep it.

Make sure you are going into settings > wireless and network settings > Mobile Networks and turning everything off in there (unchecking). If you don't do this your battery will drain faster because android will constantly be searching for a 3g network. We will eventually (maybe) get to taking all the 3g stuff out of this. For now just turning it all off works great.
    About webkit do you use AOSP or CM7 ?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
    Webkit (external/webkit) is coming from AOSP Master branch.
    Had another go at this ROM with RC1, couldn't get the 2011-03-07 gapps to work. 2010-10-20 seems to be working fine tho.

I still have a problem with the Colorize Widgets by Snowbee. FC on adding any widget. Seems to be the same on any gingerbread ROM I've tried. adb logcat attached, is it a problem you can fix, or something I should get on to the developers about?

Is there anything that's as good as colorize widget for bookmarks, facebook and twitter?

Other than that, It's really excellent, super smooth, and no extra market bugs :) Some nice usage improvements that come with Gingerbread too. Like it :)

Unfortunately any apps that don't work in gingerbread is due to lack of support by that app for gingerbread. This will need to be taken up with the app developer, or you can just wait and hope they add gingerbread support :).
    D
    Deleted member 2332029
    Regarding the SD->Internal mapping -- you are not the first on this thread to request this functionality. I have gone the route of using the default Android sdcard mounting schema (using the actual sdcard), but I will see if I can whip up instructions to do this yourself. I do not want to alter the base rom for this.

As far as the lock screen -- the size of it should fix itself once you power cycle the first time.

Thanks for the reply :)

Yep, the lock screen fixed itself after a reboot :)

I figured out the /sdcard thing, and I'm totally OK with the way you've done it, sticking to AOSP is a good thing!

Here's what I did

*** Warning, may break your system! ***

Code:
    adb remount
    adb shell
    I used vi to edit the /etc/vold.fstab file in place. You may want to 'adb pull /etc/vold.fstab', edit, then 'adb push' it back in to place.

find the line:

Code:
    dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1

and make it look like:
    Code:
    dev_mount sdcard /mnt/emmc auto /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1

Similary for:

Code:
    dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc auto /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.3/mmc_host/mmc2

Change it to:

Code:
    dev_mount emmc /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.3/mmc_host/mmc2

save the file and exit and reboot the tablet.

Hope that helps others also :)