[Q] General information

Search This thread
Feb 6, 2011
I just ordered the 7. I will want to root it, but I have some questions.
Right now I have a rooted Nexus 4, and got a notice for a system update. I looked on CM and can only find nightlies for download.
I'd prefer the stable version. What are CM ROM are people downloading and how stable is it as a nightly? Is there another ROM that might be suitable for a plain jane reference library?

I see about the same for the 7 - No stable version, but a lot of people running some form of CM.

The camera, speed, removable battery and the SD card are the main reasons, plus the carrier (TMO) is switching 2G to LTE and upgrading a lot of other towers, so I will need LTE eventually.

I usually remove most of the entertainment, social apps and widgets. I have a fairly extensive information library - all apps purchased, and all with rather large databases. Every update seems to increase the memory used, so I'd love the extra. I also use the camera.

I also get rid of most of Google. The only Google app I need is Play Store. I don't socialize and do personal info like banking on the phone.
I also won't use the built in apps. I dislike widgets and prefer folders. Yes, I do need a smart phone to run these apps. I run ADW Launcher.

Right now the Nexus 4 is on Android 4.3 and I like it. I usually only update for security. How would I find an equivalent ROM and keep it?

I see differences in battery use and a few other areas.

I also see it is almost identical to the new LG in size - can I use a case for that phone? Like one poster, I want a holster case.

With the sound player - I didn't see the play specs. I assume it does do MP3, but how about AAC and MID?

Thanks

opie546

Mar 13, 2013
there are a lot of 3rd party ROMs that are stable enough, only have a few non threatening bugs to iron out. Depending on the ROM, it is pretty easy to stay updated with it as they usually have a built in update manager. Look in the 7a forum as most of the builds are unified across the 7a/7s.

The audio question you have is in regards to codecs, not hardware. I haven't personally played those file types, but you shouldn't have a problem.

Feb 6, 2011
there are a lot of 3rd party ROMs that are stable enough, only have a few non threatening bugs to iron out. Depending on the ROM, it is pretty easy to stay updated with it as they usually have a built in update manager. Look in the 7a forum as most of the builds are unified across the 7a/7s.

The audio question you have is in regards to codecs, not hardware. I haven't personally played those file types, but you shouldn't have a problem.

So where is a unified sticky or post that discusses all ROMS? I do like CM. I'd like to read through it.