K1 USB host cable now available! $13 on lenovo with free shipping!

Search This thread

gallahad2000

Jul 9, 2009
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...60&Code=0B65411&from=cart&hide_menu_area=true

Also Provantage:http://www.provantage.com/YLEN92U2.htm
Macmall:http://www.macmall.com/p/Lenovo-Monitor-And-Projector-Accessories/product~dpno~9054171~pdp.haicccb
Alvio supposedly has it but can't find it, perhaps due to being out of stock
PSsuperstore:http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/11573311-Lenovo-0B65411.html

Someone from the lenovo forums confirmed that the provantage cable works with their K1.

Looks like it's not too expensive either...

Source:http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad...-for-Ideapad-K1-comes-out/td-p/593525/page/38

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2001ph

tech5

Aug 10, 2009
Ohio
also PC Connection has them in stock , although no free shipping , they have a warehouse where i live and it was still going to cost 15.00ish shipping and i could drive there in like 5 min .....but yeah spoke to Tim at lenovo and he said they had a limited quantity so if your gonna get them from there id do it quick

andd2010

Dec 25, 2010
There are a lots of them on ebay ;). I wonder if through this cable i can get on my thinkpad tablet a second usb-host. How do you think will that work?

gallahad2000

Jul 9, 2009
There are a lots of them on ebay ;). I wonder if through this cable i can get on my thinkpad tablet a second usb-host. How do you think will that work?
I can't find any of the cables on Ebay. There's plenty of K1 usb data cables but no usb host cables. I don't know if the K1 and Thinkpad ports are equivalent so you could end up getting something that doesn't work. You'd probably be better off just getting a powered USB hub.

andd2010

Dec 25, 2010
I've tried the micro usb with usb powered hub but no success :(
And the usb cables do not variate, becouse the host compatibility is or should be in the port itself . the same is with the standart usb cables which all provide host if the phone or tablet supports it.

gallahad2000

Jul 9, 2009
And the usb cables do not variate, becouse the host compatibility is or should be in the port itself . the same is with the standart usb cables which all provide host if the phone or tablet supports it.
That's what I meant. The K1 has USB host wired to its dock port. The Thinkpad may or may not.

tech5

Aug 10, 2009
Ohio
well ordered my USB host cable on the 11th of April and its now been 2 weeks and i have received 2 emails saying it could be up to a month before it ships so i called them and said i wanted to cancel it and they assured me that it would ship by tomorrow at noon .....this has been about as much fun as pricking around with dell on my streak 7 that got stuck read only .......anyone else have any issues with getting there K1 host cable ?

gallahad2000

Jul 9, 2009
well ordered my USB host cable on the 11th of April and its now been 2 weeks and i have received 2 emails saying it could be up to a month before it ships so i called them and said i wanted to cancel it and they assured me that it would ship by tomorrow at noon .....this has been about as much fun as pricking around with dell on my streak 7 that got stuck read only .......anyone else have any issues with getting there K1 host cable ?
Mine's supposed to ship on the 9th of May. They told me it would ship the day after I ordered it.

tech5

Aug 10, 2009
Ohio
i even asked them if there were any issues like if the part was on back order and they said no it was in stock and was already in the shipping process .....i mean come on i buy crap off the internet nearly once a week (yeah i know a bit drastic)
but i like building electronic crap and modding stuff and ive never had to wait this long for any of it ....without a legit excuse " were sorry sir that item was on back order " i like my K1 and it does mostly what i need but its the hub for my outdoor theater and i need the stupid adapter to access the 500gig HDD to play movies on the screen ......if they cant deliver ill just buy a different tab with easier to get parts *end Rant*

update they just switched my ship date to tomorrow and delivery date to 5-2-12 *roll eyes* we'll see

Last edited:

gallahad2000

Jul 9, 2009
i even asked them if there were any issues like if the part was on back order and they said no it was in stock and was already in the shipping process .....i mean come on i buy crap off the internet nearly once a week (yeah i know a bit drastic)
but i like building electronic crap and modding stuff and ive never had to wait this long for any of it ....without a legit excuse " were sorry sir that item was on back order " i like my K1 and it does mostly what i need but its the hub for my outdoor theater and i need the stupid adapter to access the 500gig HDD to play movies on the screen ......if they cant deliver ill just buy a different tab with easier to get parts *end Rant*

update they just switched my ship date to tomorrow and delivery date to 5-2-12 *roll eyes* we'll see
Thanks for the update, I'm chatting with them now to see if I can speed up my order.

Got bounced back and forth between credit and sales. The CSR told me that my order was on hold for payment verification for some undisclosed amount of time. Credit told me that there was nothing wrong with it. CSR#2 blamed credit. I still have an estimated shipping date of 5/9 but the CSR#2 reassured me "It could ship much sooner than that now that it's not on hold".

Last edited:

tech5

Aug 10, 2009
Ohio
it appears my last gripefest with Lenovo has paid off and i have received my tracking number and it looks as if my USB Host Cable will be here by friday ....i received my order confirmation at like midnight .....i guess calling up big companies and tossing around words like "Better Business Bureau, and i want to speak to customer loyalty department and being a down right **** about not receiving something you already paid for and not being able to tell me where its at or when its going to ship" worked

***correction was just bumped up for early delivery tomorrow***

will post how it works as soon as it comes in

Last edited:

gallahad2000

Jul 9, 2009
it appears my last gripefest with Lenovo has paid off and i have received my tracking number and it looks as if my USB Host Cable will be here by friday ....i received my order confirmation at like midnight .....i guess calling up big companies and tossing around words like "Better Business Bureau, and i want to speak to customer loyalty department and being a down right **** about not receiving something you already paid for and not being able to tell me where its at or when its going to ship" worked

***correction was just bumped up for early delivery tomorrow***

will post how it works as soon as it comes in
Perhaps I wasn't enough of a ****. The CSR was telling me the order is on hold because it's not in stock and if I wanted he could release it to the warehouse to fill when it did come in. He told me it would take 2 business days to be released to the warehouse (which really should only take a matter of minutes).

I think next time I'll spend the money and get a Asus.

tech5

Aug 10, 2009
Ohio
Well part came in today,missed it yesterday.....and so far it cant read either my 250gig or my 500gig portable hdd's

I can however use the K1 to charge and access my htc sensation so its way easy to copy files between them
That and a wireless keyboard and mouse work fine so its easy to hook up the hdmi and use it on the tv

Correction.....i can not access the sensation but can still charge it ...i can however access my 4 gig flash drive

Do any of you know if there are any size constraints in android that would make it now recognize larger hdd?
Sent from my Lenovo K1 using xda premium

Last edited:

coydroid

Apr 26, 2012
THE BEAUTIFUL S.F. BAY AREA
Well I just ordered this 5-Pack of OEM wonders for $6.97 shipped:
(link removed until I'm 8 posts to the mast heh)

We'll see if they work (I'll report back either way, as soon as I am permitted to post the link). ;)

coydroid

tech5

Aug 10, 2009
Ohio
Well i still cant mount mt external drive but the adapters convienent for wireless mouse/keyboard and my thumb drive and ive installed a few of the apps from google play

Sent from my lenovo k1 using xda premium

gallahad2000

Jul 9, 2009
Well i still cant mount mt external drive but the adapters convienent for wireless mouse/keyboard and my thumb drive and ive installed a few of the apps from google play

Sent from my lenovo k1 using xda premium
is your external drive USB powered (or does it have a wall adapter)? The K1 may not produce enough juice for a USB powered drive.

gallahad2000

Jul 9, 2009
Mark from Lenovo said:
This cable has proven to be a real challenge. For reasons I can't understand, we took 3 months to get it set up in the system (From Dec-March) and by the time we did, the K1 was already at end of production. We had <100 cables in inventory and worked to get those shipped here and I was told that once they were gone, that was it.

Demand obviously outpaced supply, and another small quantity was found. There were supplier complications and I'm not sure of our ability to get anymore.

I'll check with sales and see what can be done and will share what I can find out.

Thanks

Mark
This is the same Mark that's gotten us word on ICS and other things (and was able to get us the USB host cable in the first place).

Top Liked Posts