Cb radio

Search This thread

MattMcGoogan

Aug 24, 2013
Adelaide
www.anti-grav.net
Hey everyone, just a question that I've not been able to find a definite answer to.
Is it possible for an android phone to pick up and send a signal on the cb radio frequency? I know there are apps out that simulate this but you can only talk to people who have said app, I want to see if I can use my phone to talk to someone with an actual radio

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

k2trf

Jan 17, 2014
Kentucky, US
As a General Class Ham Radio Operator in the US, I can safely say I've yet to hear of a phone with such a radio in it. Citizen's Band, or CB, operates within the 11m band (~27MHz), and neither Cellular or WiFi radio are near there. Cellular radio is normally in the 850, 900, 1800 and/or 1900MHz bands, depending on your particular phone/carrier/location, and WiFi is in the GHz.

However, there is an application for Echolink (which you WILL require a valid Ham Radio license to operate, even for the mobile app), and using that, you could theoretically connect to a Link or Repeater client, and if they had a radio capable of CB/10m broadcast, that would work. However such a client is unlikely to be found -- most Echolink/IRLP Nodes that exist are not on HF (where CB is), they're mostly all VHF and/or UHF.

Last edited: