Cracked Screen - Replacement part?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5149701
  • Start date
Search This thread
D

Deleted member 5149701

Well, I knew the time would come, I shouldn't be so picky on cases. I had my phone in my lap, hopped out of the car and heard my phone drop from my lap. Totally forgot it was there. One corner impact and it cracked my screen, which is disappointing because I drop my iPhone all the time and nothing happens to it. But, at least it's not the whole screen that's shattered, might even be a waste to replace it. The screen is responsive still.

With that said, anyone know where I can get a replacement screen or should I have a "professional" do it?

I'm looking at this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Google-N...e_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item233373ec1c

That way there's no damage to the frame.

Last edited by a moderator:

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Well, if you are going to try this one yourself, it's one of the "easier" ones. As long as you get the LCD assembly and frame that is already put together. On eBay, there are some vendors selling the the assembly + frame for $135. No really crazy tools are needed. Shouldn't be anything too catastrophic happen since you are changing the whole front of the phone. If you were trying to separate the top glass, I'd definitely advise against if you aren't a pro. If you absolutely don't feel comfortable with doing it and can be without the phone for a few days, then feel free to PM me, and we can discuss other options.

morphvale

Sep 13, 2013
Sibiu
Google Nexus 4
Google Nexus 5
If you have steady hands, enough patience and some previous experience in disassembling phones (youtube could help a lot), it shouldn't turn out to be quite a big challenge.
I would advise though in some attention taking off the rear cover (it's not difficult, but if you apply too much pressure you might end up bending or breaking it). Same goes with the battery, which is attached to the back of the screen with some adhesive. Use a plastic tool for this, and try to peel it off with a strong and steady hand. Once you do that, it's only a few screws.

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
I think LG would fix it for $150 so $135 to fix it yourself eh. Unless you want the accomplishment, but I have never ventured into replacing a cracked screen.

D

Deleted member 5149701

Just got off the phone with LG, they said they can't price over the phone, they have to have a tech see the phone and they'll call with a quote. So, 2 weeks without a phone just to get a quote and maybe repaired if I want to spend that kind of money.

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
I am 80% positive that I have viewed a few post of them charging $150 for screen replacement. You aught to check in the thread "who dropped it" the answer might be there. Its in general. Hard to find with xda app.

Sent from The Deathstar

D

Deleted member 5149701

Well, turns out once the screen is cracked it cracks easier now. As of now, the phone starts clicking on random things when the screen is touched.

I'm debating to either buy a new one and sell this one, should come out to the same price as buying a replacement screen once the cracked phone is sold.

What would you guys suggest? I can't send it in to LG as I need my phone and replacement screen + front housing is $200 to replace myself or $220 to replace by a professional.

I'm looking at this: http://www.etradesupply.com/lg-nexus-5-lcd-screen-and-digitizer-assembly-with-frame.html
It seems to come with majority of everything and I just need to transfer over the antenna wires, motherboard and battery.

or

http://www.repairsuniverse.com/lg-g...exus 5 Screen with Frame&utm_campaign=LE55ONS
I'll have to transfer over everything, which they have a tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPuCmfhzgbg - which makes me nervous seeing this.

Last edited by a moderator:

LilSmiler

Mar 21, 2014
Google Nexus 5
LG G5
Well, turns out once the screen is cracked it cracks easier now. As of now, the phone starts clicking on random things when the screen is touched.

I'm debating to either buy a new one and sell this one, should come out to the same price as buying a replacement screen once the cracked phone is sold.

What would you guys suggest? I can't send it in to LG as I need my phone and replacement screen + front housing is $200 to replace myself or $220 to replace by a professional.

Can't you try the below? Quite easy to dis-assemble the phone, steady hands and proper screw driver + torx driver, use a hairdryer to warm up the glue connecting the battery + LCD to the digitizer ;)

Sorry can't post external links to XDA due to post counter :( search Ebay for "Frame-LCD-Display-Touch-Digitizer-Screen-for-LG-Google-Nexus-5-D820-D821" results are between $108-$120 ...