android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly problem

Search This thread

trstn

Aug 27, 2009
Hi all, hoping you can help with a problem I'm having.

Basically, my Hero was fine, working perfectly, until I cleverly managed to lock myself out of it by getting the security swipe wrong too many times.

Long story short, I did a factory reset (had only got the phone that day so didn't seem like a big deal to lose anything).

I rebooted it, contacts came back down through google, everything fine. Then I started getting this message when connecting contacts to facebook or viewing the 'my contact card'.

android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly problem, force close

If I log out of facebook then I don't get the problem, but I'd like the facebook functionality. When I'm logged into facebook some contacts display facebook info, some don't.

My first thought was a dodgy contact, but all the contacts are the same as the first time I sync'd with google, so nothing should be wrong there I hope.

Anyway, any ideas?

Reactions: kimbelz

PeterMeulders

Aug 12, 2009
Antwerp
Same problem

Hello,

I am having the same problem. I also posted a question regarding this problem yesterday in the forum but up until now I have received any answers. I also send an email to HTC support but haven't heard from them yet. I suggest you do the same, this way they can't say that this is a one time problem ;-)
I was about to do a factory reset, but now I am afraid that this isn't going to solve my problem. My phone has been working without any problems for 2 weeks with a lot of facebook people synchronised to my contacts. I think that 1of the facebook contacts has some illegal character is its name or description and thus giving this error.

Spoke to soon. This is the reply from HTC. But it isn't that helpfull I am afraid ;-(

Dear HTC customer,

Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Center. We are dedicated to providing you with the best quality service and answering all of your questions and concerns.

Thank you for your feedback, please try to do a hard reset of your phone to see if that solves the problem. You can do this by:

1. With the phone turned off, press and hold the HOME and BACK buttons, and then briefly press the END CALL/POWER button. The reset process will start after a few seconds.
2. Wait for the phone to finish the reset process and then press MENU.

If this does not solve the problem there should be a ROM update for the Hero coming out soon which could contain a fix for the problem. Try the hard reset if it doesn’t work keep an eye on htc.com for the ROM upgrade for the Hero.

If the above steps do not resolve your issue, we invite you to visit the support area on our Web site. Please go to: http://www.htc.com/www/support.aspx

Or you can go to: http://www.htc.com/select_country.htm, select your country and then click on the Support tab.

You can also call our Call Center at: +46-85-055-6438 if you have further questions.

Thank you once again for your continued patronage.

Best regards,
Europe customer support team
HTC Corp. Global Service Division

Last edited:
Reactions: kimbelz

trstn

Aug 27, 2009
How bizarre!

Tried it now and no problem, fantastic!

From one of those links....

"Lots of people getting it - seems like it could be a Facebook api change if you look at that thread."

I guess with the hero being SO connected with the web, a lot more than just the phone can break things. Ah well.

Thanks deeren.

Puck1980

Jul 8, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Hi All,

I am getting the same error message with a force close as my only option but it happens constantly! i do not need to push anything. It does not seem to ahve anything to do with contacts or facebook....

I have looked at all the threads and it oly seems to be people talking about facebook and contacts. Does anyone else get it that doe snot have faebook installed?

My phone was working fine till the other day when it first happened and now i can do nothing.....

Help a nubee please!!!!

Reactions: U51GT_C4

ahernandez646

Oct 30, 2010
mytouch slide

i am having the same problem with android.process.acore and i have try everything in the phone and nothing seems to work. please if anyone knows how to fix write back. thanks.

reinbeau

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 14, 2010
South of Boston, MA
Had this start happening to me today, immediately after I installed three updates from the market, Pure Messenger Widget, Titanium Backup and Fat Secrets. I don't think it was the latter two, I think it was Pure Messenger Widget. It was difficult to get that one to install, it took ages, and then it interferred with the download of the other two. Once I was through with the market the force closes started. Managed to shut the phone down but they came back, until I uninstalled Pure Messenger Widget. A few more reboots and it seems to be back to normal. I realize this is anecdotal, and I have no development experience so I have no logic to draw on here other than my own experience.

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
Suddenly today my phone will not boot up, giving me the "the process android.acore has stopped ..." message. There are lots of forum threads suggesting possible causes and how to fix them, but none address the issue of when you can't switch on the device at all. I'm in an endless cycle of "force quit" and "the process android.acore has stopped". I'm at the point of having to factory reset, unless anyone can suggest anything please ...?

reinbeau

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 14, 2010
South of Boston, MA
Suddenly today my phone will not boot up, giving me the "the process android.acore has stopped ..." message. There are lots of forum threads suggesting possible causes and how to fix them, but none address the issue of when you can't switch on the device at all. I'm in an endless cycle of "force quit" and "the process android.acore has stopped". I'm at the point of having to factory reset, unless anyone can suggest anything please ...?
Unfortunately I think a factory reset is your only option at this point. That's what I had to do when my phone was doing the same thing. Hopefully you have a recent backup to fall back on, however, be careful - do not restore any system data, that's where the problem lies.

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
Many thanks. I've performed a factory reset and successfully restored a Sprite backup made five days ago. But to my great disappointment I find that none of my programs have been included. Is this normal? All other data, settings, etc have restored fine, just no programs. I can of course reinstall them one by one since my market data is saved in the cloud, but is that normal with a Streak backup, that programs are not included?

reinbeau

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 14, 2010
South of Boston, MA
Have no idea why your programs weren't backed up, sorry. I use Titanium Backup Pro, so my backups are complete.

Sent from a state of Serendipity

gramme66

Jun 12, 2011
Barefoot Bay
www.barefootbay.net
the process android.process.acore message...

Hi,
I get the message:
The process android.process.acore stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
Force close

I am using a rooted Samsung Captivate Galaxy S Android 2.2.

not able to get anything to run on it without getting that message!
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Ed & Donna aka gramme

reinbeau

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 14, 2010
South of Boston, MA
Hi,
I get the message:
The process android.process.acore stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
Force close

I am using a rooted Samsung Captivate Galaxy S Android 2.2.

not able to get anything to run on it without getting that message!
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Ed & Donna aka gramme
Make sure you've backed up everything you want backed up and do a factory reset - it seems to be the only way to fix this. If that doesn't fix it, then try flashing a custom ROM, I know that will work - that's how I ended up delving into the custom ROM world :)

gramme66

Jun 12, 2011
Barefoot Bay
www.barefootbay.net
I have had the same problem today and just finished doing a HARD factory reset with samsung...DOESN'T work...still get the error message and will not operate. Finally called AT&T warranty department and they are sending out yet ANOTHER phone..this will be our 3rd refurbished phone.
If anyone comes up with a solution please let me know. I am going to play around for the next couple of days and see what I can come up with....
Thanks
Ed & Donna aka gramme

reinbeau

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 14, 2010
South of Boston, MA
Like I said, they'd no solution other than flashing a new rom, be it stock or custom. I choose custom and learned I'd never depend on AT&T or Samsung again.

Sent from a state of Serendipity

gramme66

Jun 12, 2011
Barefoot Bay
www.barefootbay.net
Thanks, I used odin2oneclick and it put android 2.1 update 1 on the phone. Then I didn't have a clue how to get android 2.2 on the phone so I called samsung and they walked me through using kies mini. Now working and have it rooted once again.
Thanks again
Ed & Donna aka gramme

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How bizarre!

Tried it now and no problem, fantastic!

From one of those links....

"Lots of people getting it - seems like it could be a Facebook api change if you look at that thread."

I guess with the hero being SO connected with the web, a lot more than just the phone can break things. Ah well.

Thanks deeren.
    I also had this same problem on samsung galaxy s2. going into facebook app, open settings, and remove facebook data from contacts fixed this. I am pretty sure this is do to some malformed/unexpected json/xml in the contact's properties. In my case this happened to be set by the facebook app. In theory I think any contact sync could cause this. If you have this problem I would recommend unsyncing contact info from various apps until the problem goes away.
    Hi all, hoping you can help with a problem I'm having.

Basically, my Hero was fine, working perfectly, until I cleverly managed to lock myself out of it by getting the security swipe wrong too many times.

Long story short, I did a factory reset (had only got the phone that day so didn't seem like a big deal to lose anything).

I rebooted it, contacts came back down through google, everything fine. Then I started getting this message when connecting contacts to facebook or viewing the 'my contact card'.

android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly problem, force close

If I log out of facebook then I don't get the problem, but I'd like the facebook functionality. When I'm logged into facebook some contacts display facebook info, some don't.

My first thought was a dodgy contact, but all the contacts are the same as the first time I sync'd with google, so nothing should be wrong there I hope.

Anyway, any ideas?
    Same problem

Hello,

I am having the same problem. I also posted a question regarding this problem yesterday in the forum but up until now I have received any answers. I also send an email to HTC support but haven't heard from them yet. I suggest you do the same, this way they can't say that this is a one time problem ;-)
    I was about to do a factory reset, but now I am afraid that this isn't going to solve my problem. My phone has been working without any problems for 2 weeks with a lot of facebook people synchronised to my contacts. I think that 1of the facebook contacts has some illegal character is its name or description and thus giving this error.

Spoke to soon. This is the reply from HTC. But it isn't that helpfull I am afraid ;-(

Dear HTC customer,

Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Center. We are dedicated to providing you with the best quality service and answering all of your questions and concerns.

Thank you for your feedback, please try to do a hard reset of your phone to see if that solves the problem. You can do this by:

1. With the phone turned off, press and hold the HOME and BACK buttons, and then briefly press the END CALL/POWER button. The reset process will start after a few seconds.
    2. Wait for the phone to finish the reset process and then press MENU.

If this does not solve the problem there should be a ROM update for the Hero coming out soon which could contain a fix for the problem. Try the hard reset if it doesn’t work keep an eye on htc.com for the ROM upgrade for the Hero.

If the above steps do not resolve your issue, we invite you to visit the support area on our Web site. Please go to: http://www.htc.com/www/support.aspx

Or you can go to: http://www.htc.com/select_country.htm, select your country and then click on the Support tab.

You can also call our Call Center at: +46-85-055-6438 if you have further questions.

Thank you once again for your continued patronage.

Best regards,
    Europe customer support team
    HTC Corp. Global Service Division
    Android bug

The problem occurs due to a bug in android , when you have saved a contact's birthday as 29 Feb, which occurs only in leap years. temporary solution is to change the birth date to any other date until google releases a fix .