Memory Problem

Search This thread

matt09

Aug 28, 2009
Hi guys

I'm new to all this, just got a Touch Pro the other day dirt cheap which was so slow it was almost unusable. I've flashed hard spl and a rom with Mobile 6.5 rather than the stock 6.1 but sinse doing this the total memory available has changed from 288 to 200 and the % usage has risen to 26%ish before to 42% now on bootup.

Could someone please explain this, do I need to make changes to the pagefile or something?

Also I'm looking for a mobile "msconfig" to change startup programs that are loaded to free up more memory could anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Farmer Ted

Nov 30, 2008
Unless you're actually getting memory errors or the phone is locking up, I would say you don't have a problem. Just ignore the different values (are you sure you had 288 M of ram; I don't think so). 200 M of ram is plenty, and you should be glad you're using more. If you don't use it, it's kind of pointless. More ram usage usually means things run faster. Trust your chef.

SK Tools allows you to tweak your startup (among many other things). But unless you actually have a real (and not perceived) problem, I wouldn't worry about it. People get way too caught up in the % ram. I don't even use the quick menu any more, and it's kind of a relief to not see it all the time.

You can decrease the page pool with a page pool changer or hex editor. It sounds like you have a 14 M page-pool, which seems pretty reasonable. If you drop the pagepool to 6 M, you have another 8 M of available ram, but your ram% will go up. I'd just forget about it if I were you. Trust your chef.

Hi guys

I'm new to all this, just got a Touch Pro the other day dirt cheap which was so slow it was almost unusable. I've flashed hard spl and a rom with Mobile 6.5 rather than the stock 6.1 but sinse doing this the total memory available has changed from 288 to 200 and the % usage has risen to 26%ish before to 42% now on bootup.

Could someone please explain this, do I need to make changes to the pagefile or something?

Also I'm looking for a mobile "msconfig" to change startup programs that are loaded to free up more memory could anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Like Ted said, the numbers you are reporting are not an issue at all. Be careful tweaking your page pool too much. I use Memaid to tweak my settings and find that the devices default settings, which are the ones cooked in from the kitchen, provide the best performance.

matt09

Aug 28, 2009
Thanks for the replies but the reason I asked is because the Touch Pro has 288mb of ram total which was displayed in Win 6.1 while 200 is reported as the total in Windows 6.5, and the fact the % went up so much reflects the error in the amount of memory detected for use. I know the % don't mean much but it looks like i have 88mb less available to use?

Thanks I'll look into SK Tools.

Cheers

Farmer Ted

Nov 30, 2008
I think you're getting the 288 MB ram from the specs (it's the size of the chip, I guess, but not the amount of free program memory); that's not the available ram, though, in use. I have no idea how much free ram I had on the stock fuze rom, but it wasn't anywhere near 288. I currently have 197 M free ram with a 16 M page pool on a 6.5 rom. Your ram is perfectly normal, it's what everyone has. Flash back to the stock rom and see how much ram you have then-it won't be 288. (Now that I think of it, I think I had ~200 M free on the stock rom.)

There's no error in the % ram at startup, either. That is entirely by design. If you want to see a lower number, use advanced config to either lower or disable the caches. Then enjoy the low program memory usage and the sucky experience. More ram usage = better performance. You still have 110 M of free ram at startup. That's more than most devices have in total. Use it. Enjoy it. Don't waste it by not using it. That is my advice to you.

If you don't believe me, just take look at NATF's 6.1 rom vs. his 6.5 rom. He's got 193 M free ram in the 6.5 rom (with a 20 M page pool), and 200 M free ram in the 6.1 rom. Not sure what the PP is in the latter, but I suspect it's 16 M. You can also look up stock or stock-like roms in the rom forum. They're all going to be in the same ball park, depending on the paging.

Last edited:

matt09

Aug 28, 2009
Ok thanks, I was raising the issue as well because I have a Sony Experia running a similar rom with less memory on the board but it still reports 200mb and it feels quite alot smoother than the htc, and not just with touch 3D, is this the general concencus that experias for whatever reason are faster?

Thanks

Farmer Ted

Nov 30, 2008
Not too many people have xperias, so I couldn't tell you. Does it have a faster processor? I couldn't tell you why it feels faster. Try some different roms until you get one you like.

matt09

Aug 28, 2009
The processor is the same and I am using one of the most popular cooked speed roms on here.