Android 4.4 Kit Kat Release Date for LG Optimus G is Imminent

Search This thread

Sub-Negro

Aug 6, 2013
Late last week, LG’s French arm had apparently confirmed that the LG Optimus G will be getting updated to Android 4.4 Kit Kat within the month, marking one of the first release dates for the new platform. This comes a few weeks after South Korean company Pantech had confirmed its Vega Iron handset will be one of the first non-Nexus devices to get bumped up to Android 4.4 Kit Kat.

A Reddit thread posted Friday quotes a few comments in French from LG France regarding Android 4.4’s release date for the Optimus G. The user shared his conversation with the Facebook page of LG France, and translated in English, he was told that “an update to (Android 4.4 Kit Kat) is scheduled for October.” On one end, LG France’s comments are consistent with a report from FRAndroid claiming that the French Optimus G would be upgraded to Android 4.4 this month. And the Redditor who shared the conversation had made it a point to ask the LG France Facebook admin twice whether Android 4.4’s rollout/release date for the Optimus G would indeed fall in October, to which LG France replied in the affirmative.

However, much discretion is required when it comes to this new report, mainly because the 2012 LG Optimus G moving up from Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to Android 4.4 Kit Kat sounds implausible and too good to be true. The Optimus G is still on Android 4.1 in the United States, France and all other regions where it is available. Adding to the reasons why the report may be too good to be true is LG’s history as being a bit slow when rolling out Android version updates, plus the known inaccuracy of social media administrators when communicating release dates and such. As Google may invariably focus on its Nexus devices first when updating to Android 4.4 Kit Kat, the proverbial grain of salt may not be enough; instead, readers may want to take the report with a large container of salt.

http://www.eaglesrant.com/sketchy-r...r-lg-optimus-g-is-imminent/19497/michael-dorn

I know it's not gonna happen but a guy can dream right. :D

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
I just got an LGOG this morning, rooted, unlocked (both bootloader and carrier), installed TWRP, then got Carbon's latest nightly and houstonn's Adreno kernel working great tweaked out with some Trickster mods and at this moment it's just fantastic (of course I've only had it a few hours but it's damned fast and snappy, hence my sig now).

To even hope that Kit Kat would be coming for this device is pretty amazing, and considering it's definitely got enough power and resources to handle it, I would love to see it actually happen.

If not, 4.3 is gonna work just fine for me, but bring it on, Google, gimme a Kit Kat. :D

ps
This is not the first mention of this either, there's another thread or two that I tripped over last night doing all the research before I committed to getting this LGOG earlier, so... a Mod may come along and clip this or merge/move it, just so you know.

Last edited:

charleswesde

Jul 29, 2009
Certainly plausible. We all know of the similarities between the Nexus 4 and OG. Obviously the Nexus 4 will be updated immediately, can't think of any good reason why the OG would be too far behind. Either way official or not we'll see 4.4 before long.

Sent from my LG-E970 using xda app-developers app

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
How did you proceed to do the carrier unlock? Got unlock code from at&t or?

If you're asking me, I used that freemyblackberry.com site, they didn't have any "free" unlock codes available so I paid the $4 for it and got the code back in about 8 minutes, punched it in with my T-Mobile SIM already in place and it worked without a single hiccup whatsoever.

I have some friends that are very long time AT&T customers but I didn't feel like bugging them to call AT&T and ask for a code on my behalf, was easier and far faster to just buy it for $4.

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
For those that can't wait - and let's face it, the chances of AT&T actually giving us a working 4.4 update ever are incredibly slim at this point - houstonn is outta the gate with the first (mostly) functional 4.4 build for our LGOG devices, you can find info in his thread in the original development subforum starting at post #3503:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2228880

He's already up to a V2 release, Wi-Fi is working, camera issues are being reported, and the extSD card functionality isn't there just yet but, if you want to get KitKat up and running (for the most part), that's our option at this moment. He's keeping it pure AOSP so far without any major mods or tweaks.

Reactions: Sub-Negro

Jank4AU

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 2, 2010
Alabama
For those that can't wait - and let's face it, the chances of AT&T actually giving us a working 4.4 update ever are incredibly slim at this point - houstonn is outta the gate with the first (mostly) functional 4.4 build for our LGOG devices, you can find info in his thread in the original development subforum starting at post #3503:

He's already up to a V2 release, Wi-Fi is working, camera issues are being reported, and the extSD card functionality isn't there just yet but, if you want to get KitKat up and running (for the most part), that's our option at this moment. He's keeping it pure AOSP so far without any major mods or tweaks.

V3 now, with working external-sd

Sent from my LG Optimus G using xda app-developers app

gregdolley

Apr 11, 2013
I highly doubt this is going to happen for the AT&T US version LGOG. (e970). Someone just posted today about an email he received from LG saying they are NOT updating the e970 to KitKat.

Dr0!dFreek

Jun 13, 2012
I call sprint today and they said that the new 4.4 kit kat update will be pushed out on January 15..Wow.long time from now

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

And last time the AT&T update took an extra month with the 4.12 update

Sent from my LG Optimus G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Late last week, LG’s French arm had apparently confirmed that the LG Optimus G will be getting updated to Android 4.4 Kit Kat within the month, marking one of the first release dates for the new platform. This comes a few weeks after South Korean company Pantech had confirmed its Vega Iron handset will be one of the first non-Nexus devices to get bumped up to Android 4.4 Kit Kat.

A Reddit thread posted Friday quotes a few comments in French from LG France regarding Android 4.4’s release date for the Optimus G. The user shared his conversation with the Facebook page of LG France, and translated in English, he was told that “an update to (Android 4.4 Kit Kat) is scheduled for October.” On one end, LG France’s comments are consistent with a report from FRAndroid claiming that the French Optimus G would be upgraded to Android 4.4 this month. And the Redditor who shared the conversation had made it a point to ask the LG France Facebook admin twice whether Android 4.4’s rollout/release date for the Optimus G would indeed fall in October, to which LG France replied in the affirmative.

However, much discretion is required when it comes to this new report, mainly because the 2012 LG Optimus G moving up from Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to Android 4.4 Kit Kat sounds implausible and too good to be true. The Optimus G is still on Android 4.1 in the United States, France and all other regions where it is available. Adding to the reasons why the report may be too good to be true is LG’s history as being a bit slow when rolling out Android version updates, plus the known inaccuracy of social media administrators when communicating release dates and such. As Google may invariably focus on its Nexus devices first when updating to Android 4.4 Kit Kat, the proverbial grain of salt may not be enough; instead, readers may want to take the report with a large container of salt.

http://www.eaglesrant.com/sketchy-r...r-lg-optimus-g-is-imminent/19497/michael-dorn

I know it's not gonna happen but a guy can dream right. :D
    How did you proceed to do the carrier unlock? Got unlock code from at&t or?

If you're asking me, I used that freemyblackberry.com site, they didn't have any "free" unlock codes available so I paid the $4 for it and got the code back in about 8 minutes, punched it in with my T-Mobile SIM already in place and it worked without a single hiccup whatsoever.

I have some friends that are very long time AT&T customers but I didn't feel like bugging them to call AT&T and ask for a code on my behalf, was easier and far faster to just buy it for $4.