[Q] One Handed Use

Search This thread

augie7107

Mar 18, 2009
Boston
Sony Xperia Pro-I
You can easily text with one hand, yes. I might only send 50 texts a month so someone with more "practice" should have an easier go of it.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

hansip87

Jan 14, 2011
Jakarta
Not Z2 User but XZU user but if i ever gone back to a smaller handset, that would be 10 out of 10 b^_^d or the worst, 8 out of 10 i guess.. ;) the point is, you will be adapted to the handset eventually, no need to fret about the size..

kenkaw

Mar 19, 2009
Using the Xperia Z1 Compact and Samsung S3 as reference points, I would rate one-hand usability of the Z1 Compact as 10, the S3 as an 8 and the Z2 as a 6 or 7.

However, there are ways to make it easier to use the Z2 with one hand. If you have Nova Launcher installed for instance, you can swipe downwards anywhere on the homescreen to pull down the notification bar; no need to reach all the way to the top. And if you install the Touchpal keyboard app, the app allows you to shrink the keyboard to one side of the screen for enhanced one-handed usage.

jiggyb21

Mar 25, 2013
Using the Xperia Z1 Compact and Samsung S3 as reference points, I would rate one-hand usability of the Z1 Compact as 10, the S3 as an 8 and the Z2 as a 6 or 7.

However, there are ways to make it easier to use the Z2 with one hand. If you have Nova Launcher installed for instance, you can swipe downwards anywhere on the homescreen to pull down the notification bar; no need to reach all the way to the top. And if you install the Touchpal keyboard app, the app allows you to shrink the keyboard to one side of the screen for enhanced one-handed usage.

The stock Sony keyboard allows for a shrinking as well. I'm actually very impressed with the stock keyboard....I put it on par with SwiftKey, the predictive text is excellent.

By comparison for example....

S3 8
HTC One M7 8
Nexus 5 8 or 9
Z2 6

It's the added few mm of width that do me in....I don't have small hands at all and I ever feel on the verge of dropping it trying to reach around one handed. Having said that, I have quickly adapted to use two hands for things I used to use one. I have no trouble texting with one hand.

KyleSforza

Mar 9, 2013
Delhi
www.facebook.com

I'll be upgrading from a Xperia Ray, which is only 3.3"

But yes, I tried Z1 in a store and I found it very easily usable with one hand(seems like I have big hands in such case :p) , the only issue I had was reaching the notification bar as you mentioned. Its not like I had to use second hand to reach it but I had to do hand aerobics to reach up there, so I was still able to pull it down using only my right hand. :p Z2 is almost the same size as Z1.

And yup its true about the Nova launcher, I use it even on my Ray, the gestures feature is just awesome!

Talking of touchpal, I'm sure Z2 keyboard has one hand mode too, because I tried Z1 and it had the "one hand mode" where it shrinks the keyboard to a side as you mentioned.

ajbattaglia83

Dec 6, 2010
I'm trying to get use to the size of this thing I've had it just about a week I'm really hoping I get use to it I really like the camera and screen and it was not cheap...I still have my z1 compact that I'm really starting to miss

jiggyb21

Mar 25, 2013
I'm trying to get use to the size of this thing I've had it just about a week I'm really hoping I get use to it I really like the camera and screen and it was not cheap...I still have my z1 compact that I'm really starting to miss

I was in the same boat with my nexus 5. It wasn't until I sold it that the z2 started to feel smaller. If you love the z2 otherwise, get rid of the Z1. As long as you have a side by side to compare to your mind won't let it go.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ajbattaglia83

KyleSforza

Mar 9, 2013
Delhi
www.facebook.com
I was in the same boat with my nexus 5. It wasn't until I sold it that the z2 started to feel smaller. If you love the z2 otherwise, get rid of the Z1. As long as you have a side by side to compare to your mind won't let it go.

Agreed, happens with me all the time. We always feel linked to our old things until they're gone. :p

ajbattaglia83

Dec 6, 2010

Crazy how right you were

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.