[Q] Stuck in Flight mode due to of NFC ring Unlock app

Search This thread

SvanGool

Sep 1, 2012
I installed the NFC Ring Unlock application from McLear on the EZ2 tablet, which seemed to function well with my NFC ring.
I did one thing differently, because I don't like to give my Google master password to a 3-party app , I used an app password specifically for the NFC ring, which I considered to be one-time and didn't write it down :(
Then I had to fly and put the device in flight mode and powered it off some time later.

Now I get the NFC Ring Unlock screen in flight mode when I power up the device, but I can't get the unlock screen to work (NFC is also switched off in flight mode, didn't realise that and the Google authentication is also not working) and I can't get out of flight mode!

What I tried already:
  • Resetting the device by voulume-up/power, red button in SD-card and PC-companion connection.
  • Trying to hit the "normal" unlock screen which appears for a sub-second period.
  • Contact McLear, but they are flooded at the moment, because of the roll-out of their new products.
But neither of this works because they all depend on unlocking the device first.

Any advice?

Last edited:

BabelHuber

Sep 16, 2012
If your device is unlocked and you have USB debugging enabled, you should be able to deinstall the App with ADB (Adcvanced Debug Bridge).

I guess that with the locked original Sony Bootloader, this doesn't work, though.

johnyma22

Nov 20, 2012
Hey Svan, damn it sucks you are getting stuck by this! Sorry!

1. Did you try posting on the NFC Ring forum?

RE "3-party app" our app never stores your details, we use the Google provided Google Auth libraries to handle the authentication process. I can personally guarantee and promise at no point do we store or use your username/pass, we just get a success/failure callback from them and act accordingly.

2. Is it possible you can use your Google Auth or is your work-around preventing you from doing this?

We're actually just beta testing an updated version of the app that forces users to enter a pin code to handle circumstances such as this. Flight mode and two-form factor auth have been an issue for us so we're taking pro-active steps to address it ASAP :) This doesn't help you though ;(

3. As BabelHuber asked, do you have debug mode available? If so a simple adb uninstall of the app will get you moving again.

Sorry about the delay through support, I just took another team member on today to help with the backlog, he starts tomorrow so hopefully things will move faster!

Source: I'm the inventor of the NFC Ring :)

Reactions: Chefproll

teevorian

Jun 12, 2012
Found a solution

I had a the exact same problem, and luckily I found a solution just in the moment I had already decided to factory reset.

I have the stock rom/bootloader/etc installed, no root.

Well anyway, factory resetting the phone is not an easy task either, so this is what I did to get to the factory reset option in the boot loader:

I pressed power for a loooong time, then the phone shutdown, I pressed power and vol-down for a looong time.
Some kind of boot menu appeared, I chose recovery.

At first I was stuck with a red triangle with an "!" over a lieing android. I found that pressing and holding power for 1 second then, while still pressing power, pressing "vol up" for 1 second and releasing both at once, presented me a special menu, wich contains the factory reset and option ... and also a mysterious "wipe cache" option, which sparked an idea of how I might circumvent the factory reset...

I remebered, that after the last OTA update the phone was so busy after reboot, that the NFC Unlock app was loaded after a long delay, while I was already able to interact with the phone.

So I though what the heck, before factory resetting the device I might as will try wiping that damn cache and see wether that caused the delay.

After wiping the cache, I booted and Android went through all those apps, and then showed the launcher/home screen without the widgets loaded etc, for just long enough to switch off the airplane mode, before the unlock app was loaded and immediately locked the screen again.

It might have helped that I disabled the SIM Card PIN check, i don't know.

Only this time I could unlock it normally :silly:

I hope this helps

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Svan, damn it sucks you are getting stuck by this! Sorry!

1. Did you try posting on the NFC Ring forum?

RE "3-party app" our app never stores your details, we use the Google provided Google Auth libraries to handle the authentication process. I can personally guarantee and promise at no point do we store or use your username/pass, we just get a success/failure callback from them and act accordingly.

2. Is it possible you can use your Google Auth or is your work-around preventing you from doing this?

We're actually just beta testing an updated version of the app that forces users to enter a pin code to handle circumstances such as this. Flight mode and two-form factor auth have been an issue for us so we're taking pro-active steps to address it ASAP :) This doesn't help you though ;(

3. As BabelHuber asked, do you have debug mode available? If so a simple adb uninstall of the app will get you moving again.

Sorry about the delay through support, I just took another team member on today to help with the backlog, he starts tomorrow so hopefully things will move faster!

Source: I'm the inventor of the NFC Ring :)