[Recovery] [17-Mar-2010] RA-eris-v1.6.2

Search This thread

Amon_RA

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
This recovery is NOT yet fully compatible with the new apps2sd method! (as implemented in CM5.0.7)

This is a custom recovery based on Cyanogen's recovery source with a lot of things added by me. The purpose of this recovery is to avoid using adb by accessing all features directly from the menu.

This recovery is for the HTC Eris only, if you have a :
- HTC Dream/G1 you should go here.
- HTC Magic/MT3G you should go here.
- HTC Hero you should go here.
- HTC Sprint Hero you should go here.
- HTC Nexus One you should go here.

Use the trackball (up+down) to navigate through the menu, press the trackball to select items. Use the Volume-down key to go back to a previous menu.

Always check recovery.log before posting your issues!
Please make sure that your ROM supports apps2sd if you plan to use the ext-features! (/system/sd MUST be available in the ROM)
Ext4 is currently NOT supported (will add it as soon as I get an .29 Eris kernel compiled)

Features
  • full ADB access in recovery mode
  • Awesome Care-Bear version! (Blame packetlss for talking me into it :p)
  • Busybox v1.15.3
  • Kernel with ext3 support (NO Ext4 support)
  • HW-Key navigation (Trackball + Volume-key) option
  • Extended menu :
    • Reboot system now :: reboot your phone
    • USB-MS Toggle :: enable/disable USB mass storage (use when the phone is connected to your PC)
    • Backup/Restore
      • Nand backup :: Make a Nand backup, the following partitions are NOT included :
        • Recovery (to avoid restoring old version)
        • Cache (no need to backup imo)
        • Misc (no need to backup imo + restore issues on some phones)
        • Splash1+2 (no need to backup imo + restore issues on some phones)
      • Nand + ext backup :: Make a Nand + ext backup
      • Nand restore :: Restore a Nand backup
      • BART backup :: Make a BART backup (Nand + ext)
      • BART restore :: Restore latest BART backup
    • Flash zip from sdcard :: Flash a zip update file from your sdcard
    • Wipe
      • Wipe data/factory reset :: Wipe /data and /cache
      • Wipe Dalvik-cache :: Wipe Dalvik-cache both on /data and ext
      • Wipe SD:ext partition : Wipe the ext partition on your sdcard
      • Wipe battery stats : Wipe the battery stats in /data
      • Wipe rotate settings : Wipe the sensor settings in /data
    • Partition sdcard
      • Partition SD :: Interactive SD partitioning
      • Repair SD:ext :: Repair the ext partition
      • SD:ext2 to ext3 :: Convert ext2 to ext3
      • SD:ext3 to ext4 :: Convert ext3 to ext4
    • Other
      • Fix apk uid mismatches :: Does extacly that
      • Move apps+dalv to SD :: Moves all apps and Dalvik-cache to sdcard (This will NOT enable apps2sd!)
      • Move recovery.log to SD :: Moves the recovery log file to your sdcard. (Use when you want more detailed recovery log information)
    • Power off :: Powers off your phone
  • Scripts available via adb :

Download

ALWAYS check the md5sum to make sure the zip isn't corrupted.
Click on the Mirror-link if you don't like rapidshare

Latest :

Special thanks to :
  • packetlss for all the hours of support and awesome coding skills, THANKS man ^^, donate to Haiti
  • Koushik Dutta for the unyaffs binary code fix and help ^^
  • Cyanogen for his dedicated work! , buy him a beer!
  • JesusFreke for his awesome JFv1.43's recovery , donate
  • pensive for adding awesome features to Nandroid :)
  • Bkmo for his utility script!
  • Devsk for his switchrom script!
  • 51dusty for his sdparted script!
  • k4str0 for his fix_permissions v2.03 update.
  • Devsk, Dumfuq, Overground for creating BART :D
  • rikupw for the ideas and toggle_ums script.
  • http://www.androidspin.com for hosting ^^

Last edited:

apreichner

Apr 12, 2009
what could this do for someone with leaked 2.1 exactly?

No, this is only for the rooted phones. If you are running the non-rooted leaked 2.1, you cannot flash this recovery. The developers are still in the process of working on a down-grade method from leaked 2.1 to 1.5 so you can root your device.

edgeupgx

Mar 4, 2010
Hoping someone magically stumbles on something that will downgrade since I really dont think anyone will just figure out how to do considering root was stumbled upon this way.

Amon_RA

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
Could someone please try this version? ;)
It's not the same as the test version I posted earlier...

hoban_eris

Jan 15, 2010
BART not working

FYI, I just tried a BART backup and:

"Create BART backup?
Press Trackball to confirm,
any other key to abort.

Performing backup : .

Error : Run 'bart' via adb!"

hobbiteer

Mar 18, 2006
Tested

First off, thank you Amon-Ra for the recovery image. I appreciate it and I'm sure those who are trying it do too. I'm running another version on my G1 so good times.

I loaded it up and tested. I did a BART backup with no issues, Partitioned the SD card with no issues, and ran out of other things to do. Thanks again, working great.

87jason

Jul 3, 2009
so is this the same recovery tha was originally posted i know it has the same version 1.6.2 but was just curious as if it just had changes made to it

hobbiteer

Mar 18, 2006
so is this the same recovery tha was originally posted i know it has the same version 1.6.2 but was just curious as if it just had changes made to it

The one I got from the mirror looks to be the same 1.6.2. He mentioned in the first post that this was a carebear version but I don't have that. Mine also has the ext3 to ext4 options which were supposed to have been removed.... maybe I should have gotten it from the direct link on rapidshare....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This recovery is NOT yet fully compatible with the new apps2sd method! (as implemented in CM5.0.7)

This is a custom recovery based on Cyanogen's recovery source with a lot of things added by me. The purpose of this recovery is to avoid using adb by accessing all features directly from the menu.

This recovery is for the HTC Eris only, if you have a :
    - HTC Dream/G1 you should go here.
    - HTC Magic/MT3G you should go here.
    - HTC Hero you should go here.
    - HTC Sprint Hero you should go here.
    - HTC Nexus One you should go here.

Use the trackball (up+down) to navigate through the menu, press the trackball to select items. Use the Volume-down key to go back to a previous menu.

Always check recovery.log before posting your issues!
    Please make sure that your ROM supports apps2sd if you plan to use the ext-features! (/system/sd MUST be available in the ROM)
    Ext4 is currently NOT supported (will add it as soon as I get an .29 Eris kernel compiled)

Features
    • full ADB access in recovery mode
    • Awesome Care-Bear version! (Blame packetlss for talking me into it :p)
    • Busybox v1.15.3
    • Kernel with ext3 support (NO Ext4 support)
    • HW-Key navigation (Trackball + Volume-key) option
    • Extended menu :
      • Reboot system now :: reboot your phone
      • USB-MS Toggle :: enable/disable USB mass storage (use when the phone is connected to your PC)
      • Backup/Restore
        • Nand backup :: Make a Nand backup, the following partitions are NOT included :
          • Recovery (to avoid restoring old version)
          • Cache (no need to backup imo)
          • Misc (no need to backup imo + restore issues on some phones)
          • Splash1+2 (no need to backup imo + restore issues on some phones)
        • Nand + ext backup :: Make a Nand + ext backup
        • Nand restore :: Restore a Nand backup
        • BART backup :: Make a BART backup (Nand + ext)
        • BART restore :: Restore latest BART backup
      • Flash zip from sdcard :: Flash a zip update file from your sdcard
      • Wipe
        • Wipe data/factory reset :: Wipe /data and /cache
        • Wipe Dalvik-cache :: Wipe Dalvik-cache both on /data and ext
        • Wipe SD:ext partition : Wipe the ext partition on your sdcard
        • Wipe battery stats : Wipe the battery stats in /data
        • Wipe rotate settings : Wipe the sensor settings in /data
      • Partition sdcard
        • Partition SD :: Interactive SD partitioning
        • Repair SD:ext :: Repair the ext partition
        • SD:ext2 to ext3 :: Convert ext2 to ext3
        • SD:ext3 to ext4 :: Convert ext3 to ext4
      • Other
        • Fix apk uid mismatches :: Does extacly that
        • Move apps+dalv to SD :: Moves all apps and Dalvik-cache to sdcard (This will NOT enable apps2sd!)
        • Move recovery.log to SD :: Moves the recovery log file to your sdcard. (Use when you want more detailed recovery log information)
      • Power off :: Powers off your phone
    • Scripts available via adb :

Download

ALWAYS check the md5sum to make sure the zip isn't corrupted.
    Click on the Mirror-link if you don't like rapidshare

Latest :

Special thanks to :
    • packetlss for all the hours of support and awesome coding skills, THANKS man ^^, donate to Haiti
    • Koushik Dutta for the unyaffs binary code fix and help ^^
    • Cyanogen for his dedicated work! , buy him a beer!
    • JesusFreke for his awesome JFv1.43's recovery , donate
    • pensive for adding awesome features to Nandroid :)
    • Bkmo for his utility script!
    • Devsk for his switchrom script!
    • 51dusty for his sdparted script!
    • k4str0 for his fix_permissions v2.03 update.
    • Devsk, Dumfuq, Overground for creating BART :D
    • rikupw for the ideas and toggle_ums script.
    • http://www.androidspin.com for hosting ^^
    Amon_RA 1.6.2 Custom Recovery: trackball not required!

All right...I finally, with a lot of trial and error, and vital guidance from Amon_RA himself, was able to modify
    Amon_RA's 1.6.2 custom recovery for the Eris to support an alternate set of keys for menu navigation.

Here are the new keys and their functions:

• volume-UP toggle: scroll-up in the menu
    • green Call button: scroll-down in the menu
    • red End/Pwr button: select menu item or confirm prompt
    The volume-DOWN key still works as it always did, taking you back to the prior recovery menu.

Please note: for those of you with working trackballs, they will still work in this custom recovery.

Here is a screenshot of the new version's main menu: recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2-trackball-not-required.jpg

Notice the [trackball not required] text at the bottom of the screen under the Build : RA-eris-v1.6.2 line that lets you know you are using the new, alternate version.

This additional text and the behavior of the new menu navigation keys should be the only differences in this custom recovery from Amon_RA's original.

Please reference the Note / Edit section at the bottom of this post for important information regarding version(s) available for download.

I hope this is helpful and useful. Cheers!

--------------------------------------------------

Special thanks to:

Amon_RA: for creating this custom recovery and providing much needed guidance to allow me to tweak his code

Packetlss: for hosting the github and guiding me to Amon_RA

bftb0: for his continued guidance, knowledge, and contributions to the Android community (especially the Eris folks)

References:

- sister thread to this post over at Android Forums -

HOWTO: Unpack, Edit, and Re-Pack Boot Images

======================= Note / Edit (23-November-2010) =========================

This past weekend, I became aware that the menu options for partitioning the /sdcard were "missing" from my initial version of this custom recovery (I didn't notice it because I don't use apps2sd). It was pointed-out by some AF members that there were menu options missing for the Partition sdcard function. I double-checked the "1.6.2" source that I used and those menu item references indeed were not present. They are/were, however present in the "mahimahi" (Nexus One) branch of source for this recovery, many of whose files are listed with a version number of 1.7.1.

The reason for this was that the Amon_RA custom recovery source I used was pulled from the "desirec" (HTC Eris) branch of the amonra_bootable_recovery github (kindly managed by packetlss). All of the files in this branch are labeled as "1.6.2" (including the only file that I modified, recovery.c).

So, I tried seeing if the mahimahi source branch would compile in lieu of the desirec branch I was using--and indeed it did. So, I re-made my tweaks to support the alternative trackball navigation keys in the 1.7.1 version of recovery.c. I've compiled and flashed this new version, testing the trackball, alternate keys, Nandroid backup, Nandroid restore, and saw (but did not test) that the "missing" menu items for the Partition sdcard function were again present. An AF member who reported the missing menu items has subsequently tested this new version and the missing menu items are back and appear to work as before.

What does this mean? Here's the scoop:

1. I don't exactly know which version of the recovery.c source (or branch) was used by Amon_RA to compile the "1.6.2" recovery that virtually everyone has is and is using (other than those using the tweaked, trackball-optional version that I made a few weeks ago). The build number listed at the bottom of the screen still reads "1.6.2" since this value is gleaned from the default.prop (property) file that is not directly associated with the source (i.e., not involved in the compilation process). I would guess that the build version was not changed in the property file when a version newer than the 1.6.2 source was used to create the recovery images in wide-use today.

I don't believe that the version that most people have is actually the same version that I just built since I have identified at least one slight difference in behavior: Nandroid backups will now backup the /cache filesystem, resulting in Nandroid backup directory names being prefixed with "BCDS-" instead of "BDS-" like were all used to seeing [this threw me for a loop for a while until I figured-out that each letter of the prefix indicates what is actually being backed-up by the nandroid-mobile.sh script: B=boot, C=cache, D=data, S=system].

2. I don't think this is too big of a mystery or issue since my hope is that there will be very few of you that will have trackball problems and need either of these tweaked recoveries (although if you are reading this you might be one of those folks). Anyway, the old version should suffice for those that don't want or need to partition their /sdcard and hopefully the new version will behave properly for those that do need to (i.e., for a2sd).

Disclaimer: Again, your mileage may vary, etc., etc. Use these custom recoveries at your own risk. I am not responsible for any bad things that might occur to your phone should you use these.

Download Links

Both the old ("1.6.2") and new ("1.7.1") versions of the trackball-alternative custom recoveries are available:

New ("1.7.1") version:

1. Name: recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2-trackball-optional.img
    2. Download link: https://sites.google.com/site/scaryalienware/downloads/recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2-trackball-optional.img
    3. File size: 3,926,016 bytes
    4. MD5 checksum: 3217768b831a3841180699942204762d
    5. Shows [trackball optional] at bottom of recovery screen
    6. Now includes the "missing" Partition sdcard menu items
    7. Based on 1.7.1 version of recovery.c

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Old (original, "1.6.2") version:

1. Name: recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2-trackball-not-required.img
    2. Download link: https://sites.google.com/site/scaryalienware/downloads/recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2-trackball-not-required.img
    3. File size: 3,923,968 bytes
    4. MD5 checksum: 9ec2510f53a25658ca5d52b34b6c1524
    5. Shows [trackball not required] at bottom of recovery screen
    6. Is "missing" the Partition sdcard menu items
    7. Is based on 1.6.2 version of recovery.c

As always (please!), verify the checksums of your files after you download and place it on your phone.

Installation instructions (if you need them) are located in this sister-thread over on AF.

Note: the trackball-optional custom recoveries are also available below. The MD5 sums an file sizes listed above apply to the .img files contained in the .zips--not the .zip files themselves. Cheers!
    Anyone have these files anymore? All download links are dead :/

Scary Alien developed a better version of Amon_RA Recovery for the Eris (with Amon_RA's permission) which, among other improvements, allows the use of the hardware buttons to control Recovery rather than just the trackball - some people have issues with the trackball.

You can find it here: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...2-custom-recovery-trackball-not-required.html

If you are not yet rooted, he even has a modified copy of JCase's 1-click root app (see Scenario 5).

Download links all work. ;)
    I don't see the carebear! :( Mine's showing an HTC logo background?

Lol, ok, I'll add carebear versions if you really want... which color should I add?
    Thanks i guess I'm just paranoid about messing up my recover. Is this as simple as replacing the img file on the sd root.

Well, its like 3 lines in adb or terminal emmulator, pretty straight forward, and if something does go wrong the compartmentalization of Android is your friend, as long as your not touching any other partition, just try again :)