Group MMS and Other Hidden Gems in Android 4.2 (on a Galaxy Nexus)

Search This thread

dcdttu

Jun 17, 2010
Austin
Well, There's a working Group MMS option in the stock messenger. Oh my GOD is this great! :good:

Anyone else find anything worth reporting?

Miracast is obviously not included on the GNex ROM as I doubt it has the hardware to support it.

knightmedz

Dec 14, 2005
I'm not sure if it was there before but I noticed that you can disable system apps now. Just go to Settings -> Apps -> All and select an app from there. If its a system app, the "Uninstall" option becomes "Disable". In my case I'm not using Currents and Google Talk so I had them disabled. Now they are hidden and don't show up in the App Drawer.

*EDIT: NVM. Apparently "its been there since forever" as the guy below replied to me.

*EDIT2: Ok. I've read that the feature to "disable" system apps was slightly improved in 4.2. Before, you need to uninstall updates first before you can disable a system app. Now you can disable system apps directly without the need of uninstalling the updates first. That was the reason I thought disabling system apps is new in 4.2. When I was in 4.1.x I just see the "Uninstall Updates" button.

Last edited:
Reactions: plasticdarlow

faqe

Jan 1, 2011
I'm not sure if it was there before but I noticed that you can disable system apps now. Just go to Settings -> Apps -> All and select an app from there. If its a system app, the "Uninstall" option becomes "Disable". In my case I'm not using Currents and Google Talk so I had them disabled. Now they are hidden and don't show up in the App Drawer.

it's been there since forever.

Genesis206

May 17, 2009
Well, There's a working Group MMS option in the stock messenger. Oh my GOD is this great! :good:

Miracast is obviously not included on the GNex ROM as I doubt it has the hardware to support it.

I don't see the group MMS option. Would be nice though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

a12m4nd0

Oct 31, 2011
I was just going to post about this. Lol.

I think there are minor aesthetic changes, as well. When you are in messaging, compose a message and are choosing a recipient from your contacts there is now shading underneath the box with the recipient. I don't think this was in 4.1.2 or lower. The font also seems a little bolder in the messaging threads, most notably for me with the font being set to small.

akdlskdls

Nov 14, 2012
Does the group messaging work with other platforms (iPhone, Blackberry, WP7/8)? In other words, did they finally decide to bake in threaded MMSes into 4.2?

johno168

Dec 16, 2010
Auckland, NZ
I was just going to post about this. Lol.

I think there are minor aesthetic changes, as well. When you are in messaging, compose a message and are choosing a recipient from your contacts there is now shading underneath the box with the recipient. I don't think this was in 4.1.2 or lower. The font also seems a little bolder in the messaging threads, most notably for me with the font being set to small.

Oh god i thought it was just me with the bold fonts! haha.... :silly:

Darkat70

Dec 1, 2010
Why is google ears installed but not accessible? i'm using the takju rom. Seems really strange to me.:confused:

T

Thyrus

Best and unexpected thing I found (and the ONLY reason I stay on 4.2 now) :)

- Active call (phone) now works in LANDSCAPE mode - so you no longer look like an idiot when you have a carmount and need to tilt your head 90 degrees!!!!!!!!!!

Any solution? I really like the sound search lockscreen widget.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

unfreeze with Titanium backup

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

people still use mms ? o_O dam. m i the only one who prefers emails ? :eek:
    Why is google ears installed but not accessible? i'm using the takju rom. Seems really strange to me.:confused:

Any solution? I really like the sound search lockscreen widget.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I find 'Package Enabler' is a great solution for frozen apps. Instead of having to install other apps that include hundreds of other functions, this purely unfreezes apps, nice and simple!

Package Enabler - Google Play link

The app has quite a low download number and not many ratings. I can confirm it works absolutely fine though, with no unsafe or weird permissions required...spread the word people!!

:D

*EDIT: NVM. Apparently "its been there since forever" as the guy below replied to me.

*EDIT2: Ok. I've read that the feature to "disable" system apps was slightly improved in 4.2. Before, you need to uninstall updates first before you can disable a system app. Now you can disable system apps directly without the need of uninstalling the updates first. That was the reason I thought disabling system apps is new in 4.2. When I was in 4.1.x I just see the "Uninstall Updates" button.
    I really like the daydream screen saver option.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app