[Q] Little, maybe dumb, question

Search This thread

xxxC

Apr 19, 2011
Hi, wondering if i install the unofficial CM7 port would i be able to use any SIM, currently my phones are locked to H3G, does CM7 includes unlocking the phone to any carrier?

mibuwolf

Feb 28, 2011
cape town
Hi, wondering if i install the unofficial CM7 port would i be able to use any SIM, currently my phones are locked to H3G, does CM7 includes unlocking the phone to any carrier?

You have to unlock bootloader in order to do that. Read the thread about SE tweaker tool in the mini/pro development section also check out xxxlordxxx's thread about his one click tool.

Sent from my U20i using xda premium

skirhir

Feb 7, 2012
After install miniCM7 on my wife's x10 mini, we are now able to use differents SIM cards.

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App

Can you really confirm this... It's the first time I heard about that, and would provide a free way to unlock xperias,

Hi, wondering if i install the unofficial CM7 port would i
be able to use any SIM, currently my phones are locked to H3G, does CM7 includes unlocking the phone to any carrier?

AFAIK, no...
There exists two kind of locks,

SIM Locks (that lock the carrier), there is no free way to do this.
Cheaper way I found is the one unlock credit from Omnius, but you will be unable to unlock the bootloader. Same thing happens with several "unlock by software" methods. Read about it before unlocking if you plan to flash CM7 anyway after unlocking

BootLoader Lock, that prevents from replacing the kernel... It's free to unlock. And changing the kernel is required for the unofficial CM7.

Be careful because some unlocks work by patching the firmware, so upgrading it would sim relock.

cristianosite

Jun 4, 2011
Florianópolis
Can you really confirm this... It's the first time I heard about that, and would provide a free way to unlock xperias,
Well, the device was bought from Vivo carrier, which said the device was unlocked, but I was not able to use sim card from Tim carrier. After flashing miniCM7 it is working. Maybe was a coincidence or bad contact between SIM card and the device. I have no idea how to clarify this now...

Last edited:

skirhir

Feb 7, 2012
Well, the device was bought from Vivo carrier, which said the device was unlocked, but I was not able to use sim card from Tim carrier. After flashing miniCM7 it is working. Maybe was a coincidence or bad contact between SIM card and the device. I have no idea how to clarify this now...

When you inserted the other carrier sim, and restarted the phone, did it asked for the unlocking pin code? Did you restart the phone? sim cards can't be hot plugged.

jankec79

Jan 17, 2011
Kraljevo

AFAIK, no...

Cheaper way I found is the one unlock credit from Omnius, but you will be unable to unlock the bootloader. Same thing happens with several "unlock by software" methods. Read about it before unlocking if you plan to flash CM7 anyway after unlocking

BootLoader Lock, that prevents from replacing the kernel... It's free to unlock. And changing the kernel is required for the unofficial CM7.

Be careful because some unlocks work by patching the firmware, so upgrading it would sim relock.

I've sim-unlocked my phone just by using SE updater and updating software from 1.6 to 2.1. Phone was locked to Telenor Serbia. So, what kind of lock was it?

Sent from my U20i using XDA App

matthias1203

Sep 28, 2011
Zadar
It is possibility to unnlock via unlocking bootloader. My phone was locked on tele2. And after i unlock now my phone is sim unlocked. I already try to put in sim cards of other mobile networks.

Sent from my U20i using XDA App

xxxC

Apr 19, 2011

AFAIK, no...

Thanks a lot for the reply, very informative. I would probably use a paid service but since i bought these phones for 20 eur each, it's almost the price of the phone to unlock it, not really worth it.

Can you expand on BootLoader Lock? I though it did not do that, from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1254225 third myth says it does not do that. what gives :(

xxxC

Apr 19, 2011
tried this: unlockbootloader sonymobile com / instructions but my phones don't have the Bootloader Status parameter, guess I'm SOL :(