[RELEASED!] ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.1.5 for Sprint Optimus G [tethered]

Search This thread

thecubed

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Well, hallo there!

It's been a while since I've posted a release thread on XDA... I've been lurking in the shadows (and on IRC) for quite some time.

Here, I present to you a teaser of things to come:

ClockworkMod Recovery (non-touch) 6.0.1.5 for the Sprint Optimus G.

What is this?
This is a "recovery" for your phone, it allows you to install custom ROMs, back up your phone, fix it when it breaks, and much more.

This specific version is "ClockworkMod", which was created by the CyanogenMod team and Koush.
There are many recovery versions out there, I have picked ClockworkMod because it is very easy to compile and debug.
I will compile other recoveries as time permits.

Where can I get it?

Please go here to download it: http://downloads.codefi.re/thecubed/lgoptimusg/sprint/recoveries/

Note: this is a "tethered" build of CWM, as you can not flash it. You must use fastboot to boot the image every time you wish to enter recovery.
This is due to the locked bootloader on this device.

This will not allow you to install a custom ROM just yet, and please don't ask for custom ROM dates yet. I'm working on it...

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!

This is *not* safe, and should *not* be done by anyone unsure of what they are doing.
I will post links once I have ironed out bugs, but I WILL NOT SUPPORT anyone using it to modify their phone.

Please don't use this if you don't know how to LGNPST your phone back from the dead, should you accidentally kill it.

Instructions

Check back here in a few hours, I'll have something done by then :)

The goods!

Special thanks to user Shelnutt2 for helping me test this on the Sprint variant.
Here's a pic of it running on his Optimus G:

And, here's a video for extra proof :)

Luckily the video quality isn't potato, but the audio sure is. My explanation is that my HTC Vivid doesn't like me. An engineer's explanation would be that I was speaking softly, as it was 1:30AM at the time of recording, and the phone merely decided that my meek volume was purely background noise... at least, I think that's what an engineer would say, as I haven't graduated yet.

SPECIAL THANKS!
Here's my favorite section of an XDA post: the "special thanks to" section.
Without the help of these awesome people, I would have nothing of interest to say, and would just be a random guy with a phone.
Seriously, these guys are awesome.

Here's the list (in no special order, and by IRC name):
  • Shelnutt2
  • sextape
  • xboxfanj
  • jonasl
  • kmdm
  • synergy
  • DeamonFish
  • chachin
  • ..and Zanzibar (because why not?!)

If I've forgotten anyone, please let me know-- I want to make sure everyone who had a hand in this gets a shout-out.

Please, support these awesome people if you get a chance, or drop by the IRC channel and say hi :)

How can I contact you?
Need to get a hold of me, or anybody else? Come on IRC -- just go to http://webchat.freenode.net and use #lg-optimus-g as the channel name. Pick a nice nickname and say Hi :)

I'm IOMonster on IRC, and if I'm around, just say my name and I'll probably say hi back.

Alright everyone, hope you enjoy :)

eeeeeeeeek

Dec 17, 2008
Escondido CA
Well, hallo there!

It's been a while since I've posted a release thread on XDA... I've been lurking in the shadows (and on IRC) for quite some time.

Really looking forward to this....Thanks for your hard work

Reactions: BigRitz

harkay1

Jul 18, 2008
Great work

This is a great start. I can not thank you enough. Like someone mentioned in the petition thread, even if you are not planning to buy this device, please sign the petition for lg to unlock the phone. We need to get a culture of unlocked bootloaders going. Again thanks for the good work

bizzshow26

Mar 4, 2010
At this point no the bootloader is not unlocked though I wish it were I so want this phone but I'm going to wait for a few days and see if they make more progress

ks2332

Jun 29, 2010
westerville,ohio
Im so pumped to make this beast even better I can't wait to donate to our devs if we ever get em

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda premium

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Y'all know about the quiet before the storm?

It's coming.

Trust me.

If you were in IRC today, you know what I mean. If not, just wait a few days. We've got very exciting news. (Please, no PM's asking what/how/why just yet.)

Extra special thanks to IRC user g33k3r for stepping up and risking his device many times, Shelnutt2 for being awesome, and Vitaligent for an awesome new boardname.

Sprint Optimus G is codenamed the "geehrc", ATT's is the "geeb".
We're changing it.
Sprint is now the "jeebusc" and ATT is the "jeebus".

Expect some XDA silence for a few days while we build new kernels.

chevro1et

Oct 23, 2012
Busan
Has anyone provided the appropriate files for the LG U+ Korean variant (the device I am posting from)?

Sent from my LG-F180L using xda app-developers app

ncfastls1

Oct 27, 2010
Cary, NC

It's coming.

Trust me.

If you were in IRC today, you know what I mean. If not, just wait a few days. We've got very exciting news. (Please, no PM's asking what/how/why just yet.)

Extra special thanks to IRC user g33k3r for stepping up and risking his device many times, Shelnutt2 for being awesome, and Vitaligent for an awesome new boardname.

We're changing it.

You guys are simply the best. Thank you so much for your hard work. I can't wait!

chevro1et

Oct 23, 2012
Busan
I would definitely be willing to provide the appropriate files for the LG U+ Korean variant. However I have never used IRC. If the OP would be willing to PM me instructions I would do my best to get the files to him.

EDIT: No rush, no pressure. I understand that the US domestic carriers are certainly priority in this endeavor, once OP has everything ironed out, perhaps then he may be interested/ willing to include international carriers/ variants.

Sent from my LG-F180L using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

eeeeeeeeek

Dec 17, 2008
Escondido CA
Recovery Is posted under the download link. I attempted to reboot tethered into recovery you posted, but fastboot doesn't seem to want to detect my device. Lg drivers are installed and debugging is on, any thoughts?

Last edited:

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
So, here's a quick update:

We've got lots of work to do. We have a _very_ viable avenue for FULL AOSP compatibility.

Right now, us developers need to sit down and talk about some major changes to the phone-- and plan out a 'disaster recovery' scenario, since this is no longer a 'quick modification' of the system, but a full AOSP conversion.

Without saying too much, we have quite a bit of proof to support our theories, and a member of the development team is now running the first build of Android 4.2 on his/her Optimus G with very few issues.

It suffers from the same issues that the Nexus 4 does-- for instance, benchmarks are ~4500 as opposed to the 7500 that have been reported by members of the community.

At this point in time though, we will be working "behind closed doors" for a few days until we can come up with a workable solution to this, as the current method is very long and convoluted, and will cause confusion with the Sprint version.

Since I'm posting this same reply on both of my threads (sprint and ATT), I'll give the Sprint update here too...

We've run into some issues with the Sprint version, although it is possible that they'll be easily rectified here in the coming days. Suffice it to say though that we have made less progress with the Sprint variant than the ATT variant (oddly enough). However, I've got some ideas (*cough cough* GPT partition trickery) that should fix the issue.

As usual-- PLEASE do not message myself of any of the other developers asking for an ETA. I know y'all are anxious, but if you really need to know, just stop by IRC and listen for a few mins, you'll probably hear us chattering away about hex offsets and load addresses in between me and my coworker tending to b0rked RHEL installs and Juniper firewalls.

In regards to LGNPST, look for a writeup here soon... I know it's been a source of frustration to some of you on the IRC channel, however please don't expect that I have a full 4 hours to devote to teaching commandline basics for Windows.

Once again, much thanks goes out to Shelnutt2, g33k3r, ilkinasr92, and xboxfanj for all the hard work.

Expect updates on XDA as they come, as usual.

Peace!

latindor17

Dec 21, 2010
You guys are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Full AOSP support!?!?!? Wow, i had to wait months on my last phone. I can't wait so excited!! :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, hallo there!

What is this?
    This is a "recovery" for your phone, it allows you to install custom ROMs, back up your phone, fix it when it breaks, and much more.

This specific version is "ClockworkMod", which was created by the CyanogenMod team and Koush.
    There are many recovery versions out there, I have picked ClockworkMod because it is very easy to compile and debug.
    I will compile other recoveries as time permits.

Where can I get it?

Please go here to download it: http://downloads.codefi.re/thecubed/lgoptimusg/sprint/recoveries/

Note: this is a "tethered" build of CWM, as you can not flash it. You must use fastboot to boot the image every time you wish to enter recovery.
    This is due to the locked bootloader on this device.

This will not allow you to install a custom ROM just yet, and please don't ask for custom ROM dates yet. I'm working on it...

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!

This is *not* safe, and should *not* be done by anyone unsure of what they are doing.
    I will post links once I have ironed out bugs, but I WILL NOT SUPPORT anyone using it to modify their phone.

Please don't use this if you don't know how to LGNPST your phone back from the dead, should you accidentally kill it.

Instructions

Check back here in a few hours, I'll have something done by then :)

The goods!

Special thanks to user Shelnutt2 for helping me test this on the Sprint variant.
    Here's a pic of it running on his Optimus G:

And, here's a video for extra proof :)

Luckily the video quality isn't potato, but the audio sure is. My explanation is that my HTC Vivid doesn't like me. An engineer's explanation would be that I was speaking softly, as it was 1:30AM at the time of recording, and the phone merely decided that my meek volume was purely background noise... at least, I think that's what an engineer would say, as I haven't graduated yet.

SPECIAL THANKS!
    Here's my favorite section of an XDA post: the "special thanks to" section.
    Without the help of these awesome people, I would have nothing of interest to say, and would just be a random guy with a phone.
    Seriously, these guys are awesome.

Here's the list (in no special order, and by IRC name):
    • Shelnutt2
    • sextape
    • xboxfanj
    • jonasl
    • kmdm
    • synergy
    • DeamonFish
    • chachin
    • ..and Zanzibar (because why not?!)

If I've forgotten anyone, please let me know-- I want to make sure everyone who had a hand in this gets a shout-out.

Please, support these awesome people if you get a chance, or drop by the IRC channel and say hi :)

How can I contact you?
    Need to get a hold of me, or anybody else? Come on IRC -- just go to http://webchat.freenode.net and use #lg-optimus-g as the channel name. Pick a nice nickname and say Hi :)

I'm IOMonster on IRC, and if I'm around, just say my name and I'll probably say hi back.

So, here's a quick update:

We've got lots of work to do. We have a _very_ viable avenue for FULL AOSP compatibility.

Right now, us developers need to sit down and talk about some major changes to the phone-- and plan out a 'disaster recovery' scenario, since this is no longer a 'quick modification' of the system, but a full AOSP conversion.

Without saying too much, we have quite a bit of proof to support our theories, and a member of the development team is now running the first build of Android 4.2 on his/her Optimus G with very few issues.

It suffers from the same issues that the Nexus 4 does-- for instance, benchmarks are ~4500 as opposed to the 7500 that have been reported by members of the community.

At this point in time though, we will be working "behind closed doors" for a few days until we can come up with a workable solution to this, as the current method is very long and convoluted, and will cause confusion with the Sprint version.

Since I'm posting this same reply on both of my threads (sprint and ATT), I'll give the Sprint update here too...

We've run into some issues with the Sprint version, although it is possible that they'll be easily rectified here in the coming days. Suffice it to say though that we have made less progress with the Sprint variant than the ATT variant (oddly enough). However, I've got some ideas (*cough cough* GPT partition trickery) that should fix the issue.

As usual-- PLEASE do not message myself of any of the other developers asking for an ETA. I know y'all are anxious, but if you really need to know, just stop by IRC and listen for a few mins, you'll probably hear us chattering away about hex offsets and load addresses in between me and my coworker tending to b0rked RHEL installs and Juniper firewalls.

In regards to LGNPST, look for a writeup here soon... I know it's been a source of frustration to some of you on the IRC channel, however please don't expect that I have a full 4 hours to devote to teaching commandline basics for Windows.

Once again, much thanks goes out to Shelnutt2, g33k3r, ilkinasr92, and xboxfanj for all the hard work.

Expect updates on XDA as they come, as usual.

Peace!
    We have very good news today.

Depending on how much work I have at work today, we may see some nice things happen here.

This latest breakthrough comes to you from Shelnutt2. Say thanks to him if you get a chance, him and g33k3r have been invaluable to this team's progress.

Now I've got to make new CWMs (ATT _AND_ Sprint!), remake the stock boot.img (so you can at least boot back into your normal ROM after this), and package this lovely snippet of code in some foolproof manner, along with a method to revert to stock without using LGNPST.

Thanks for your patience everyone!

It's coming.

Trust me.

We're changing it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2002984

Just posted the private beta post for Sprint :D

Links for all tonight!