S3 not right in the us market

Search This thread

miked0602

Mar 10, 2012
Chicago
Us market is going to get S3 with only a dual core, not the quad the rest of the world sees.

Sent from my DROIDX using xda premium running 4.0.4 after .621 update!

peachpuff

Aug 31, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23
Even if the US sgs3 gets the dual core krait there's nothing wrong with that, it spanks the dual core a9 in the sgs2. The new sony phone is apparently getting a quad core krait, nothing will come close to it.

44390.png

44391.png

44392.png

MultiLockOn

Jan 14, 2012
You posted this thread as if it's a bad thing. Dual core A15 will spank a quad core A9 in just about every test.

fernando sor

Inactive Recognized Themer
Sep 7, 2010
north of the wall
Nvidea Is working on a tegra 3 + which would be compatible with lte which is supposed to be out in the summer to carry them until the tegra 4 is released. I can't imagine samsung isn't working on an lte compatiple version.

a bad seed

trell959

Dec 20, 2010
California
Regardless of what processor the US varient of the sgs3 will have, I'm still going to buy international

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

ljwnow

Jul 24, 2007
No quad core no buying. Simple. Because my GN is already a dual core.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'll take a Dual-core Snapdragon over the Tegra 3 any day. Sure, the GPU solutions available for S4 are weaker as it is now, but gaming isn't my primary use for a smart phone anyway.
    Look at the graphs i posted above, the dual core krait smashes the quad core a9 tegra3. The new krait architecture is simply more advanced than the a9 cpu in your GN, kind of like intel's new ivy bridge cpu. Intel only needs 4 cores to compete while amd needs 8 and it still lags behind.

I'm sorry but i can't agree with you. In allmost all benchmarks, Tegra 3 came actually on top in matter of CPU performances.

Quadrant

quadrant-540x474.png

In quadrant, S4 does a better general score but if you look at the CPU score, Tegra 3 take the lead by a large margin (11000+ vs 8000+).
    In that test, S4 @ 1.5Ghz does around 42% better than a TI OMAP 4460 @ 1.2Ghz or an Exynos 4410 @ 1.2Ghz (6000). The Tegra 3 does around 100% than A9 @ 1.2Ghz

In Antutu

One X :
    X_antutu_results-540x475.png

One S :
    htc_one_s_antutu_results1-540x306.png

Here again, Tegra 3 comes on top in matter of CPU performances. It does around 100% better than best A9 @ 1.2Ghz (TI OMAP 4 & Exynos 4210) in the two CPU tests (Integer & Float-Point).
    The S4 is not so much better than A9 here.

In Smartbench 2012

smartbench.png

There is no surprise, Tegra 3 is a clear leader in CPU around 80% better than the better A9. S4 @ 1.5Ghz comes in second with a 20% advantage over the OMAP 4430 @ 1.2Ghz. Not so good considering the frequencies.

In CF-Bench

One X :

X_cfbench.png

One S :

htc_one_s_cfbench1.png

Here comes the strange parts.
    Again, Tegra 3 wins by a large margin ( 37% better than S4 in overall score) but, if you look at all scores, you will see that S4 @ 1.5Ghz comes really close to an Exynos 4210 @ 1.2Ghz in Native Bench (One S is only 12% faster than SGS2 in Native benchs and Tegra 3 is 100% faster than S4 in Native score) but in Java Benchs, S4 does better than Tegra 3.

And here is the explanation of the Linpack performances of the S4. Linpack is not really a benchmark. According to his developper, Linpack " is more a reflection of the state of the Android Dalvik Virtual Machine than of the floating point performance of the underlying processor". It's entirely in Java and does not test the performance of the CPU but the performance of the dalvik machine on that CPU (wich is totaly different because the dalvik machine is a software wich is not well optimized for all SoC).

What does that mean ?
    According to all Native Benchs, S4 Dualcore is not so much better than A9 dualcore. Qualcomm has announced that the architecture of the S4 achieves 3.3 DMIPS/Mhz which is 32% better than A9 architecture that achieves 2.5 DMIPS/Mhz (So, even Qualcomm doesn't expect to compete with Tegra 3 with S4 Dual in reality). In reality, it seems that results is (a lot ?) under that. Tegra 3, with 4 A9 cores comes easily on top in matter of pure CPU power. It's nearly twice as fast as the A9 Dualcore.
    But Dalvik Machine seems much more optimized for S4 CPU.

Side of SunSpider and BrowserMark, One S and One X are nearly equal. But the Razr Droid, Galaxy Nexus, SGS2 with ICS are also very close despite of lower frequencies. It appears that the browser does not support quad core.

So I don't think you can say that S4 Dual is equal to Tegra 3 (or another quad A9).

All images are from an article of Android Community : http://androidcommunity.com/htc-one-x-vs-one-s-benchmarks-battle-for-the-top-spot-20120405/
    The US version is supposed to launch with an S4.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
    As far as i heard usa sgsIII isnt getting exynos dual core, its getting snapdragon

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA

I'll take it.
    S4 is better than quad exynos, at least the CPU.

we shall see

Tegra3 was gimped from the beginning