Intelligent thoughts on rumors re: SGS3

Search This thread

6_sigma

May 9, 2011
Not if you are talking about in sprint. The EVO 4G LTE comes out in May. Sgs3 probably Sept or Oct which is way more than 60 days.

Are there phones (on any carrier) other than those I mentioned which would be considered significant upgrades from the EVO 3D? It seems to me that list marks the current class of "super" phones - even acknowledging that we know little about the SIII right now.

fade2black101

Jun 18, 2006
North London
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but when I get my next phone I would quite like it to have 3D. The option of taking/viewing photos in 3D very much appeals to me.

Just wish the SGIII was 3D because no doubt the camera would miles better than this one. And before people start going on about how good this camera is, it ain't. Even though in bright conditions it can take very nice 2D and 3D pics, it is utter crap in darker situations and if someone so much as flinches, the picture ends up all blurred. Not to mention you get annoying rings if you don't clean the lens before but this isn't case if you put a screen protector over the lens. Suggests to me they used a bad material for it.

So basically, I'm probably gunna wait for the next good 3D phone and hopefully the camera will be much better than this one and not suffer from motion sickness.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda premium

Reactions: WatermelonSlim

WatermelonSlim

Jul 8, 2005
Are there phones (on any carrier) other than those I mentioned which would be considered significant upgrades from the EVO 3D? It seems to me that list marks the current class of "super" phones - even acknowledging that we know little about the SIII right now.
It's way too early to say. We still don't know what Motorola will be doing, or Sony. They both usually release a phone every year, just like HTC and Samsung.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but when I get my next phone I would quite like it to have 3D. The option of taking/viewing photos in 3D very much appeals to me.

Just wish the SGIII was 3D because no doubt the camera would miles better than this one. And before people start going on about how good this camera is, it ain't. Even though in bright conditions it can take very nice 2D and 3D pics, it is utter crap in darker situations and if someone so much as flinches, the picture ends up all blurred. Not to mention you get annoying rings if you don't clean the lens before but this isn't case if you put a screen protector over the lens. Suggests to me they used a bad material for it.

So basically, I'm probably gunna wait for the next good 3D phone and hopefully the camera will be much better than this one and not suffer from motion sickness.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda premium
I totally agree. I'm sitting this out too. Hopefully Samsung announces a Galaxy S 3D before next summer.

SoraX64

Aug 23, 2010
Frederick, Maryland (Hood College)
I find it hard to believe anyone will announce a new 3D phone for a while. This phone was relatively a let down in comparison to the hype around the OG. There just isn't enough 3D content to make it worthwhile. I doubt that Samsung will release a 3D phone before Apple does.

As much as I dislike Apple, if someone is going to make the 3D market work, it's them.

Sent from my htc_shooter using XDA Premium App

WatermelonSlim

Jul 8, 2005
I find it hard to believe anyone will announce a new 3D phone for a while. This phone was relatively a let down in comparison to the hype around the OG. There just isn't enough 3D content to make it worthwhile. I doubt that Samsung will release a 3D phone before Apple does.

As much as I dislike Apple, if someone is going to make the 3D market work, it's them.

LG already announced a new 3D phone.

Samsung and probably even HTC will too. It might not be until next year but it will happen.

mlin

Dec 27, 2007

Just like if anyone can make NFC popular, its Apple. With hundreds of millions of users, they can set any trend they want. When the iPhone gets 3D, 3D will be popular.

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
Just like if anyone can make NFC popular, its Apple. With hundreds of millions of users, they can set any trend they want. When the iPhone gets 3D, 3D will be popular.

Ehh i wouldn't put NFC in the same boat as 3D....NFC has been around a lil longer than the glasses free 3D on phones has or least more widely used tech...I see more of those payexpress's at different stores every month around here, so its catching on, on its own. And it seems most andorid phones released now have it...

3D though I think might just be something that takes a little longer than NFC to catch on...with or without apple.

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
Ehh i wouldn't put NFC in the same boat as 3D....NFC has been around a lil longer than the glasses free 3D on phones has or least more widely used tech...I see more of those payexpress's at different stores every month around here, so its catching on, on its own. And it seems most andorid phones released now have it...

3D though I think might just be something that takes a little longer than NFC to catch on...with or without apple.

I see your point and agree for the most part. However, if Apple was using NFC, I think we would see more payexpress stations at more retailers. One reason for this would be that Apple would advertise the feature like crazy which would potentially motivate retailers to make the switch more quickly. This is all speculation of course and is not based on any facts or evidence.

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
I see your point and agree for the most part. However, if Apple was using NFC, I think we would see more payexpress stations at more retailers. One reason for this would be that Apple would advertise the feature like crazy which would potentially motivate retailers to make the switch more quickly. This is all speculation of course and is not based on any facts or evidence.

Oh yes i agree there for sure. Apple would be a reason for a tech to catch on faster than normal...but at this point nfc is out in the wild all over retail locations...if apple adopted nfc a few yrs ago retail places likely would if jumped on board much quicker. Imho...

Apple doesn't dictate what feature is used really as over time anything will gain traction...BUT if they do use something it will likely jump start any adoption of said tech...like 3D...it'll catch on over time slowly on its own....but with apple this or next yr it'd likely get a huge jolt of content available..

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Reactions: mlin

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
Oh yes i agree there for sure. Apple would be a reason for a tech to catch on faster than normal...but at this point nfc is out in the wild all over retail locations...if apple adopted nfc a few yrs ago retail places likely would if jumped on board much quicker. Imho...

Apple doesn't dictate what feature is used really as over time anything will gain traction...BUT if they do use something it will likely jump start any adoption of said tech...like 3D...it'll catch on over time slowly on its own....but with apple this or next yr it'd likely get a huge jolt of content available..

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Well said.

WatermelonSlim

Jul 8, 2005
LG is not even close to HTC and Samsung in terms of smartphone sales and quality.

Sales, no. But quality, absolutely. LG's 3D phone last year got pretty good reviews.

Samsung wasn't seeking a lot until recently either, so you can't really say past sales numbers are an indicator for future device quality. You just have to take each phone on a case by case basis.

SoraX64

Aug 23, 2010
Sales, no. But quality, absolutely. LG's 3D phone last year got pretty good reviews.

Samsung wasn't seeking a lot until recently either, so you can't really say past sales numbers are an indicator for future device quality. You just have to take each phone on a case by case basis.

The point is that LG is trying to play on gimmicks to make sales. HTC sees that this phone didn't flourish due to the tiny amount of 3D content available. If they viewed this phone as a success they would have announced a new one already.

Samsung won't either.

WatermelonSlim

Jul 8, 2005
The point is that LG is trying to play on gimmicks to make sales. HTC sees that this phone didn't flourish due to the tiny amount of 3D content available. If they viewed this phone as a success they would have announced a new one already.

Samsung won't either.

Care to bet if Samsung will or not?

I guarantee they will. Maybe not this year, but next year for sure. They make way too many 3D TVs for me to think they have something against 3D.

By the way, if you are looking at the Evo 3D as a 3D content viewer then you missed the point. The Evo 3D is a content creator that can also view content, not the other way around.

SoraX64

Aug 23, 2010
Care to bet if Samsung will or not?

I guarantee they will. Maybe not this year, but next year for sure. They make way too many 3D TVs for me to think they have something against 3D.

By the way, if you are looking at the Evo 3D as a 3D content viewer then you missed the point. The Evo 3D is a content creator that can also view content, not the other way around.

And it hasn't delivered as a creator. There is a huge difference from a 3D phone and a 3D TV. Almost all movies are released with 3D versions these days. There is plenty of 3D content for those devices. 3D phones? Not so much.

WatermelonSlim

Jul 8, 2005
And it hasn't delivered as a creator. There is a huge difference from a 3D phone and a 3D TV. Almost all movies are released with 3D versions these days. There is plenty of 3D content for those devices. 3D phones? Not so much.

You are mistaken in so many ways. Where to begin?

1: The Evo 3D is fine as a 3D content creator. The pictures and videos it creates play just fine on any 3D TV.

2: All of those 3D movies that are made for TVs that you are talking about play just fine on the Evo 3D. The Evo 3D is more of a content creator than viewer (as I said previously) so it's not the ideal device to watch this stuff on. But any 3D bluray can be ripped and put on the Evo 3D, where it can be viewed just fine. You can even do the digital copy thing with your bluray and put it on your Evo 3D that way if you want. The point is, the Evo 3D isn't some proprietary format. It's the same standard formats as all those 3D movies that you said are being made for 3D TVs. The Evo 3D makes those same videos, and plays them too.

SoraX64

Aug 23, 2010
You are mistaken in so many ways. Where to begin?

1: The Evo 3D is fine as a 3D content creator. The pictures and videos it creates play just fine on any 3D TV.

2: All of those 3D movies that are made for TVs that you are talking about play just fine on the Evo 3D. The Evo 3D is more of a content creator than viewer (as I said previously) so it's not the ideal device to watch this stuff on. But any 3D bluray can be ripped and put on the Evo 3D, where it can be viewed just fine. You can even do the digital copy thing with your bluray and put it on your Evo 3D that way if you want. The point is, the Evo 3D isn't some proprietary format. It's the same standard formats as all those 3D movies that you said are being made for 3D TVs. The Evo 3D makes those same videos, and plays them too.

I'm aware of that. But the Evo 3D has not been the focus on any special treatment as far as 3D goes. The screen of a cellphone is too small to really enjoy the effect, and the glasses-free 3D aspect of the deal is pretty weak compared to true 3D, with glasses. How many times have you seen people with this phone go through the trouble of ripping a 3D Blu-ray just to watch it on their phone? No, they'd rather watch it on a 3D TV. There isn't a very secure market for 3D cellphones yet, and that is why I do not think Samsung will release a 3D phone before Apple decides to. Once Apple does so, apps will be made for 3D displays, as well as more games. Once the gimmick catches on more we may see a 3D phone from Samsung, but not before then.

WatermelonSlim

Jul 8, 2005
I'm aware of that. But the Evo 3D has not been the focus on any special treatment as far as 3D goes. The screen of a cellphone is too small to really enjoy the effect, and the glasses-free 3D aspect of the deal is pretty weak compared to true 3D, with glasses. How many times have you seen people with this phone go through the trouble of ripping a 3D Blu-ray just to watch it on their phone? No, they'd rather watch it on a 3D TV. There isn't a very secure market for 3D cellphones yet, and that is why I do not think Samsung will release a 3D phone before Apple decides to. Once Apple does so, apps will be made for 3D displays, as well as more games. Once the gimmick catches on more we may see a 3D phone from Samsung, but not before then.

Wow, where to begin with this one? Lol

1: The Evo 3D did too get special treatment. There is an HTC Watch app with several 3D movies. There is also a YouTube 3D, and Phereo 3D picture sharing.

2: Again, this phone is a 3D content creator first, content viewer second. You keep talking about watching 3D movies on your phone. That is NOT what this phone is about. It's about MAKING 3D videos on your phone. Yes, you can also watch 3D videos on your phone if you want to, but that will never be the main focus of any phone, no matter how much content is available.

3: Every 3D bluray has something called "digital copy" included with it. I have never used it, but what it is supposedly is a super easy way to rip (or even just download from the company) a copy of the movie to your computer, tablet, and/or phone. They implemented this to hopefully reduce piracy. So it's super easy to get all of that 3D content for TVs on your phone if you want. It's no worse than watching a 2D movie on your phone. And the phone gives you the option to watch it in 2D or 3D anyway, so it's not like it hurts anything.

3: Considering that the phone is a 3D content creator, and Samsung probably makes more 3D content viewers (TVs) than anyone, I would be utterly shocked if Samsung didn't have a 3D phone by the end of next year (and likely sooner). They will want everyone making 3D videos on their Samsung phones, and then watching them on their Samsung TVs. This is basic business, vertical marketing.

Last edited:

rockky

Oct 2, 2006
chicago
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Still have my EVO 3D (actually have used HTC since Hermes days) but have used SG II and Note predominantly now and prefer the 'cheap plastic' light hardware immeasurably over HTC design.
The One is an improvement but will be yesterday very quickly with GSIII release.

I TE=Atomix86;25001306]It's probably still going to be made out of the cheapest, tackiest plastic around and feel like a kids toy.[/QUOTE]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I said I didn't like Sprint phones? Um, I think I was pretty clear that the only reason I am still with Sprint is because I like my Evo 3D and no other carrier has a phone comparable to it (plus I'm stuck in a contract). Even the post you just quoted and replied to basically said I would rather have my Evo 3D so I am staying with Sprint, lol.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Except Apple locks their phones down (like HTC) and Samsung encourages development on theirs.

They can't do every single thing like apple or else they would get sued for that too.
    It's probably still going to be made out of the cheapest, tackiest plastic around and feel like a kids toy.
    FOr me personally, it's irrelevent. Whats the point of talking about a phone that I won't see available for another 6-7 months.....Hell even talking about the EVO 4G LTE seems dumb since its not getting sold till June. Way too much time inbetween to even think about it.

It's being announced in 2 weeks. It'll be out in 2 months.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    You have no idea what gpu its using...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

You're silly. Did you watch the video? It shows the Mali 400 GPU.
    Quad core, gig of RAM, 16 gigs on board, micro sd slot, 720p display (and Samsung makes awesome displays), 8 mp camera (Samsung makes awesome cameras too), huge battery, nfc, and you know it will have s-off on day 1 and have great dev support...

I think the specs are pretty good. It's certainly on par (or better) than the Evo LTE.

Too bad it's not 3D. If it had 3D it might be worth getting an unlocked version on T-Mobile and dumping Sprint until they fix their network.

Why not do that anyway since you don't seem to like sprint or their phones anyway.