• Yes

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 29 59.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

pakkei

Dec 31, 2010
After dealing with all the delays, non-existent support and updates and failed promises to ship the phone with next day shipping, I decided that I had tolerated enough and demanded my money back. Hopefully that is easy.

Here's why Dell Venue Pro sucks:

1. Too big. Usually big is a 'good' thing according to the trend of 2010. However, when it's big but also thick, it reminds me of my iPAQ from 12 years ago. With the Otter Case it gets even worse.

2. Horrible Camera. It's slow to activate unlike the Focus, and it takes blurry pictures even in just slightly dim light. I know that no camera phones can take pictures in dim light well, but DVP's camera is blurry even in a room during the day. My T-Mo G1 can do better than that.

3. No 4G. Just a UI change is not enough to switch phones and pay more per month as I had been using Android, and all the newest droids out there have way faster speeds that can even do video chat.

4. Keyboard is not that well integrated. Turns out the "fn" key and "shift" key are highly unpredictable, since it doesn't have any indicator that it's simply on or locked on. I mistyped more password than I did with the soft keyboard. Therefore, it's not worth the bulk.

5. Thoroughly unhackable. No SD Card slot access. No tethering trick. No screenshot trick.

6. Bottom buttons are capacitive. Looking back, the dev phone was perhaps the only great phone because they have hard buttons for Back, Windows and Search keys. Using touch buttons for these important commands make the OS experience finicky. For example, it's too easy to hit the Bing button accidentally while taking photos. It was also way too easy to got kicked out of a game - and having the resume afterwards makes things worse.

7. No confidence left for Dell Mobility, or even Dell in general: They folded the mobile division already. Their updates for Dell Aero and Dell Streak took months and months to fulfill, so how will the DVP be any different? We had already suffered through the lack of information on shipping, and I would expect firmware updates not to be any different.

8. This thing crashes. Unlike some other users here, mine crashes even when Wifi is off. The crashes are all random and not confined to Marketplace or 3rd party apps. If Dell was not so irresponsible, I would ask for an exchange instead of a return, but this is a dealbreaker to me.

One thing I am glad about it is, I had waited long enough to find out about Samsung's Omnia 8, and probably better phones to come in CES and Mobile World Congress.

Thanks, Dell, for being awful, and ruining what would be a good phone.

Last edited:

bbowman

Dec 27, 2010
Orange
I plan on giving Dell one more shot. I've been waiting a week now for my replacement. I'll wait for that replacement (even if it takes another week or two) and if the replacement is unstable or has any other problem then I'll return it and pick another phone.

You are right, this phone could be near perfect. It just seems that Dell rushed it.

Reactions: Lyyteskin

rsacipher

Jan 22, 2006
Washington DC
I'm in the same boat. I love the phone except a few major problems.

1- WiFi Crashing
2- Bluetooth not staying connected

Below are WP7 issues
3- Cannot sync with Outlook
4-No mass storage
5- Cannot connect to hidden WiFi networks!!!!

I miss cut and past but can live without it I need the rest fixed if I'm going to be able to keep it.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo

1- WiFi Crashing

Below are WP7 issues
4-No mass storage

I miss cut and past but can live without it I need the rest fixed if I'm going to be able to keep it.

I don't know....my WiFi lags but doesn't crash. My BT is fine. Outlook syncs fine, but I've been syncing cloud stuff fine. Storage, I have 16gigs. Will I use more..who knows or cares. Hidden WiFi...something strange about that. Its hidden for a reason, if dvp could see it, ITT wouldn't be hidden. Seems like homey reasons to quit to me. But then again , you're not me. I got what I expected. Is it 100% perfect? Nope...but I wasn't expecting it to be. I wonder if iphone4 people are returning it because of the alarm...to me the best reason to return a phone is...i don't like it. All other reasons show up on most other phones too... Just my opinion

lemonspeakers

Jan 11, 2009
New York
this phone has more problems now that i think about it. but mines a keeper. i like the windows UI and the look of the dvp. its rare and you cant just buy it at, say, tmobile stores. =D

Yelpy

Dec 28, 2010
I love the phone but you know as much as I love it I can't use a phone that doesn't work. When I pay $550 for a phone I think the least it can do is work so as much as it kills me I called them last night and told them I want my money back. I gave them a week or so to see if they would give some responce to the problems posted on the forums but nothing which means they're not going to fix the problems or they're going to be real slow about it. And the whole 30days thing you guys have over here means I cant really wait around to find out so I'll have my money back thanks!

The problems I had with the phone were numerous:

- WiFi crashing constantly
- bluetooth constantly disconnecting from car kit
- 3G signal loss and complete network loss
- white noise in earphones

...and then to top it all off, and this is a WP7 issue more so than a DVP issue - however the marketplace works and because I used my old windows live id to setup the phone, M$ basically still think I'm in Ireland for whatever reason and as a result I can't download any of the good stuff eg: Netflix, LastFM etc... and some apps I download are for european region instead of US and so are completely useless to me.

Anyway all in all I had no choice but to get a refund. Bummer!

Last edited:

vastcomm

Dec 13, 2010
This venue pro will be going back for the same reasons which have been found in this post.

1. No 4G. Just a UI change is not enough to switch phones and pay more per month as I had been using Android, and all the newest droids out there have way faster speeds that can even do video chat.

2. Keyboard is not that well integrated. Turns out the "fn" key and "shift" key are highly unpredictable, since it doesn't have any indicator that it's simply on or locked on. I mistyped more password than I did with the soft keyboard. Therefore, it's not worth the bulk.

3. Thoroughly unhackable. No SD Card slot access. No tethering trick. No screenshot trick.

4. Bottom buttons are capacitive. Looking back, the dev phone was perhaps the only great phone because they have hard buttons for Back, Windows and Search keys. Using touch buttons for these important commands make the OS experience finicky. For example, it's too easy to hit the Bing button accidentally while taking photos. It was also way too easy to got kicked out of a game - and having the resume afterwards makes things worse.

5. No confidence left for Dell Mobility, or even Dell in general: They folded the mobile division already. Their updates for Dell Aero and Dell Streak took months and months to fulfill, so how will the DVP be any different? We had already suffered through the lack of information on shipping, and I would expect firmware updates not to be any different.

6. This thing crashes. Unlike some other users here, mine crashes even when Wifi is off. The crashes are all random and not confined to Marketplace or 3rd party apps. If Dell was not so irresponsible, I would ask for an exchange instead of a return, but this is a dealbreaker to me.

I no longer feel confident with DELL. Furthermore, I dont like how we were treated throughout this launch, especially in a economy when spending 500+ dollars on a item is a luxury. I have purchased phones outright before and have never gone through a process like this.

I wanted to believe that this phone could of been more but if I wait until my 30 days are up I will be s### out of luck. I'll see what CES has up its sleeve.

This venue is definitely going back unless something miraculously happens with DELL or Microsoft regarding the phones OS. I doubt it though. :rolleyes:

rsacipher

Jan 22, 2006
Washington DC
I don't know....my WiFi lags but doesn't crash. My BT is fine. Outlook syncs fine, but I've been syncing cloud stuff fine. Storage, I have 16gigs. Will I use more..who knows or cares. Hidden WiFi...something strange about that. Its hidden for a reason, if dvp could see it, ITT wouldn't be hidden. Seems like homey reasons to quit to me. But then again , you're not me. I got what I expected. Is it 100% perfect? Nope...but I wasn't expecting it to be. I wonder if iphone4 people are returning it because of the alarm...to me the best reason to return a phone is...i don't like it. All other reasons show up on most other phones too... Just my opinion

The phone syncs with Exchange not Outlook, 16GB is good for storage if all you want is music and videos, forget if you want other files and there is no explorer to find files anyways.
My company hides their SSID as many companies do, if you have the settings you can connect and my WM5 phones would connect but I can't with the latest and greatest from MS while people at my company with Android and iPhones connect with no issues.
For the money I spent I wasn't expecting a beta unit because this thing was not ready for primetime.

pjfan75

Nov 16, 2010
I'm keeping my 8GB model. I don't have any crashing issues whether or not WiFi is on.

It would be nice if the cam were better and there wasn't some slight hissing through headphones during quiet segments of music, but neither of these are deal breakers to me. Supposedly Dell is working on updating the cam software, but again, not a huge deal to me.

bernaserra

Jul 13, 2008
It it going back.

Dell support is no good and rude, most don't even know what the DVP is. Every step of my dealing with dell has been a pain from getting my phone to the 4 hours it took trying to get it activated with the rep from dell who kept trying to get me off the line so he could "call me back."

The phone is very nice but so not worth the hassle. Dell has given me the worst customer service I have ever had, no way in hell I am gonna be stuck dealing with them for the next 2 years.

Mine for some reason would not turn on unless I popped the battery multiple times. Kept losing service on the 2g/3g switch, photos were absolute trash.

I will miss what could of been, but this thing is going back. On to my iPhone.

Lyyteskin

Nov 29, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
Thanks To You All

Hi Ladies and Gents

I'm fairly new to these forums and just wanted to say thanks to you all for the great feed back on the DVP!! I'm from Canada, and as you all know we can't get the device up here unless we provide a US address...I've been working around this issue which I finally resolved, and now for the past 2 weeks or so have been going back and forth between the DVP or a Nexxus S. I soooo love the form factor of the DVP, but have decided that it's to risky to take a chance on getting a somewhat flawless device to work up here...it's going to take a lot of time and effort to get either of these devices, so I want to make the correct choice the first time....I to have had issues calling Dell just to try and figure out how to ship the darn thing, and have been bounced around so many times!!! Their CS is garbage...none of them know anything about the device!! I was willing to get it even with the RAM issues and the no multitasking/cut and paste, but all the other issues are just to great of a hurdle to jump. I know the Nexus S has it issues but it being pure Google, I know the support will be there...

Thanks Again for making a very hard decision that much easier, and good luck to you all whether you keep your DVP or send it back!!

Cheers!!

eyan15

Mar 20, 2007
Dallas
4. Keyboard is not that well integrated. Turns out the "fn" key and "shift" key are highly unpredictable, since it doesn't have any indicator that it's simply on or locked on. I mistyped more password than I did with the soft keyboard. Therefore, it's not worth the bulk.

This is not true, there is a symbol next to the (left) battery indicator, an arrow for caps and keep pressing the arrow button for caps lock, the icon changes

same way there is an icon for fn key

Reactions: pakkei

pakkei

Dec 31, 2010
This is not true, there is a symbol next to the (left) battery indicator, an arrow for caps and keep pressing the arrow button for caps lock, the icon changes

same way there is an icon for fn key

Thanks for the tip. I was used to Android where the indicator is right at the cursor.

ruprick

Dec 20, 2010
Already shipped it back in favor of my nexus S. Got tired of the constant crashes and decided I didn't want to be an early adopter of W7

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
think its interesting, well actually I think its funny really, and anyone on this thread with a long device history on this forum can attest,the actual reasons people give for liking or not liking a device. I extend that comment to the iPhone and nexus brands, as well as others. For example:

Crashes: every phone crashes. Everyone. Read the Engadget review about the crash macine....sorry , the nexus s. they all crash somewhere
..period

Camera: they all suck. If you're using a Dell but expect a Nikon , then your expectation sucks. Some are better, but none are good.

Configuration: don't even sit there and tell me what great configuration schemes Android has. The configuration is just as spacey on those devices too. How easy is it to get hotmail on iPhone? As easy as Google maps on wp7?

Cloud stuff: huh, what? Bottom line is it takes understanding and preparation. Once done, its done. Don't trust the Microsoft cloud, but trust the Google cloud...good luck with that.

Support: did someone sat Google support? I call bull****.

Best reason for returning the Dvp I have read so far is, "I tried the Nexus S, and it worked better for me". Great answer!!! Guy just stood up and said it. Cool. Not some bs answer like WiFi crashing...someone will find you over in some other forum posting about your other new phone crashing ...you know its true.

BTW, I heard the iPhone alarm still doesn't work, and what's this I'm reading about the latest undocumented feature on the Nexus. And the Incredible is doing what?? Droid!!! Great commercials.

I just like my Dell. I like my HD7 too. If you don't,that's fine...just watch the excuses...sorry, I mean reasons.

I want the one with the WiFi and most gb's.

Sorry for the rant...check out the other forums here and see if what I say isn't true!

Reactions: efjay

efjay

Nov 18, 2004
think its interesting, well actually I think its funny really, and anyone on this thread with a long device history on this forum can attest,the actual reasons people give for liking or not liking a device. I extend that comment to the iPhone and nexus brands, as well as others. For example:

Crashes: every phone crashes. Everyone. Read the Engadget review about the crash macine....sorry , the nexus s. they all crash somewhere
..period

Camera: they all suck. If you're using a Dell but expect a Nikon , then your expectation sucks. Some are better, but none are good.

Configuration: don't even sit there and tell me what great configuration schemes Android has. The configuration is just as spacey on those devices too. How easy is it to get hotmail on iPhone? As easy as Google maps on wp7?

Cloud stuff: huh, what? Bottom line is it takes understanding and preparation. Once done, its done. Don't trust the Microsoft cloud, but trust the Google cloud...good luck with that.

Best reason for returning the Dvp I have read so far is, "I tried the Nexus S, and it worked better for me". Great answer!!! Guy just stood up and said it. Cool. Not some bs answer like WiFi crashing...someone will find you over in some other forum posting about your other new phone crashing ...you know its true.

BTW, I heard the iPhone alarm still doesn't work, and what's this I'm reading about the latest undocumented feature on the Nexus. And the Incredible is doing what?? Droid!!! Great commercials.

I just like my Dell. I like my HD7 too. If you don't,that's fine...just watch the excuses...sorry, I mean reasons.

Sorry for the rant...check out the other forums here and see if what I say isn't true!

Classic and spot on! The DVP isn't perfect, but its not the first, and won't be the last buggy phone to be released, and certainly if someone isn't happy with it they should return it. I tried an hd7, didn't like it and returned it, no fuss no muss. And I should say, I'm happy enough with mine and am keeping it, worst case scenario I use it for six months then get some other wp7 AWS device, if there ever is one.

Last edited:

bernaserra

Jul 13, 2008
BTW, I heard the iPhone alarm still doesn't work, and what's this I'm reading about the latest undocumented feature on the Nexus.

Lol, this is your best point? An alarm clock?

How about WinPho 7 alarm not overriding the music volume and not even going off?

As for crashes I can count the amount of time my iPhone has crashed on 1 hand and the amount of time my nexus one has crashed on 2. I apologize if I want something to work when I buy it. The DVP wouldn't even power on in some cases without pulling the battery. I'm sorry but if the phone is a headache just to turn on then I don't want it. Perhaps you disagree, but there is no need to come in here on a high horse trying to dictate what we should expect from a phones camera, or general usage.

Do I expect a nikon?

No I expect something that can take a decent shot ala the iPhone/Nexus 1/Nokia N8. Obviously there are phones on the market capable of taking great shots,so why should I as a consumer expect lesser performance? If you like a half-ass phone then so be it.

It the DVP the worst phone on the market?

No there is much worst out there, but once again there is much better and as a consumer I am going to go with what is best. I returned mine and hopefully another company gets it right eventually. But honestly the argument that there are buggier phones is pathetic.

Last edited:

pakkei

Dec 31, 2010

..period

With this kind of reasoning you might as well be happy buying a Vertu. ;)

"Hey, this thing takes photos, and can read gmail too!!!!!! I just like my Vertu. If you don't like it, you have a problem!!"

All that I said was that the DVP is bigger than I need, and the keyboard is not as advantageous as I thought it to be. The camera is objectively worse than many camera phones out there, and Dell does not inspire confidence on whether there will even be firmware fixes or not. It's all pretty logical, IMO.

Seriously, don't get offended when people compare it with iPhone or Nexus S. I already tried to be fanboy-sensitive by comparing it to Samsung Focus. But if my post induces potential buyer's remorse on you, it's not my problem. This thread is to be shared with those who already had our remorse.

Last edited:

gshocker

May 20, 2006
San Diego
I love this phone but am hoping that they fix the issues. Most of the bugs that people have should be fixable with a replacement device. The crazy thing is that the initial Engineering Sample that I had seemed to have the least issues. The 16GB model I have in my hands now crashes all the time so I am hoping that it is just a bad phone and when I get my replacement it works as expected.

I expect many will return their phones because of the whole exchange process which is frustrating to say the least.

pessimistic observer

Oct 20, 2010
personally as a non standard smartphone user i plan to keep the device barring hardware malfunction
not really a big talker or texter and i dont mind the crashes as long as they only happen once a day
i can see how a person might be upset though if they spent half a grand on a phone they can only use on tmobile that has issues
glad i didnt buy off contract even though ill be stuck on tmo for 2 years i can always get another phone that uses tmo bands at full price

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After dealing with all the delays, non-existent support and updates and failed promises to ship the phone with next day shipping, I decided that I had tolerated enough and demanded my money back. Hopefully that is easy.

Here's why Dell Venue Pro sucks:

1. Too big. Usually big is a 'good' thing according to the trend of 2010. However, when it's big but also thick, it reminds me of my iPAQ from 12 years ago. With the Otter Case it gets even worse.

2. Horrible Camera. It's slow to activate unlike the Focus, and it takes blurry pictures even in just slightly dim light. I know that no camera phones can take pictures in dim light well, but DVP's camera is blurry even in a room during the day. My T-Mo G1 can do better than that.

3. No 4G. Just a UI change is not enough to switch phones and pay more per month as I had been using Android, and all the newest droids out there have way faster speeds that can even do video chat.

5. Thoroughly unhackable. No SD Card slot access. No tethering trick. No screenshot trick.

6. Bottom buttons are capacitive. Looking back, the dev phone was perhaps the only great phone because they have hard buttons for Back, Windows and Search keys. Using touch buttons for these important commands make the OS experience finicky. For example, it's too easy to hit the Bing button accidentally while taking photos. It was also way too easy to got kicked out of a game - and having the resume afterwards makes things worse.

7. No confidence left for Dell Mobility, or even Dell in general: They folded the mobile division already. Their updates for Dell Aero and Dell Streak took months and months to fulfill, so how will the DVP be any different? We had already suffered through the lack of information on shipping, and I would expect firmware updates not to be any different.

8. This thing crashes. Unlike some other users here, mine crashes even when Wifi is off. The crashes are all random and not confined to Marketplace or 3rd party apps. If Dell was not so irresponsible, I would ask for an exchange instead of a return, but this is a dealbreaker to me.

One thing I am glad about it is, I had waited long enough to find out about Samsung's Omnia 8, and probably better phones to come in CES and Mobile World Congress.

Thanks, Dell, for being awful, and ruining what would be a good phone.

1- WiFi Crashing

Below are WP7 issues
    4-No mass storage

I plan on giving Dell one more shot. I've been waiting a week now for my replacement. I'll wait for that replacement (even if it takes another week or two) and if the replacement is unstable or has any other problem then I'll return it and pick another phone.

You are right, this phone could be near perfect. It just seems that Dell rushed it.

1- WiFi Crashing

Below are WP7 issues
    4-No mass storage

this phone has more problems now that i think about it. but mines a keeper. i like the windows UI and the look of the dvp. its rare and you cant just buy it at, say, tmobile stores. =D