[KERNEL] Bali 20120602_nxd - Keystroke logger removed

Search This thread

nxd

Oct 19, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Bali_SK4g KJ2 kernel 20120602_nxd

Goals are security and stability. To that end, I have disabled the keystroke logger Samsung shipped in their sources. This keystroke logger is present and active on many Sidekick custom ROMs and kernels, including older Bali kernels.

You should not attempt to flash this kernel unless you are comfortable flashing kernels, and if need be, restoring using ODIN or Heimdall.

As with any custom flashing operation, there is a chance that the installation of this kernel could go all wrong and brick your device. If something breaks, you get to keep both pieces. By using this kernel, you agree that neither I nor any of the other contributors bear any responsibility.

I highly recommend you look at the other Bali/Voodoo kernel threads in the Sidekick 4G development forum. This kernel has all the same installation requirements/caveats/risks, at minimum.

It is a foregone conclusion that this kernel will only work with KJ2 ROMs. Please do not try it with KD2 or KG2 ROMs, it will almost certainly soft brick at best.

I tested this kernel on top of GenericGinger 2.0, by john_2k2.

It was found to function properly with RubiX Xcel 0.0.4. It is now included in 0.0.5. If you are using RubiX Xcel 0.0.5 or later, there is no need to flash this kernel.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1654684

There has been at least one report of this kernel causing a soft brick state with GingerClone v2. Please do not attempt to use this kernel with that ROM.

It may or may not work well with other ROMs; it would be wise to check with the developer of your preferred ROM before flashing this kernel. It should work anywhere other Bali 2.2-like KJ2 kernels work, but you never know for sure until you try.

Download: https://carbon.flatlan.net/nxd/Bali_SK4G_20120602_nxd.zip

MD5 6de219a41fa6739f43d6003476392728
SHA1 1ec796f8292e29e91682dce6f23e1776aa91ab1c

Dr. Honk:
Kernel sources, GPL
https://github.com/drhonk/Bali_SK4G

sduvick:
Initramfs, unknown license
https://github.com/sduvick/SK4g_KJ2_Ramdisk

supercurio (Francois Simond):
Kernel update.zip skel, WTFPL
Voodoo (red) CWM, GPL

mkasick:
s3c keypad delay patch, GPL
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16096212&postcount=79

Modified slightly by nxd
* Disabled keystroke logger and other debug
* Enabled tun and cifs as modules

See https://carbon.flatlan.net/nxd/ for patches. Anyone who wishes is free to incorporate the patches into their kernel compiles and/or ROMs, under the terms of the GPL. As far as I am concerned, you are free to incorporate the contents of the .zip into ROMs, provided you give credit to the above contributors.

Thanks to Dr. Honk, AdamOutler, sduvick, Jax184, ayoteddy, John_2K2, Rebellos, supercurio & Project Voodoo, windxixi, Glass Echidna, mkasick, cyanogen
and the Cyanogenmod team.

[Q] What do you mean "keystroke logger removed?

[A] Open up a terminal app and get a shell on your Sidekick. Open the keyboard, type "dmesg", then press Return.

If you're running a custom ROM/kernel may see lines like this:

Code:
key Pressed : key 24 map 28
key Released : 24 map 28

Those are your keystrokes. The numbers correspond to specific keys. Any app capable of reading dmesg can get your keystrokes from the hardware keypad.

[Q] Why did Samsung include a keystroke logger?

[A] It's obvious that the key pressed/released messages are for debugging. There is no malicious intent. Samsung forgot to (or chose not to) disable this logging when they shipped the kernel sources.

However, just because Samsung meant no harm, doesn't mean no harm can be done. Do you really want any app on your phone to be able to read all your keystrokes since boot?

[Q] So Samsung is recording my keystrokes and sending them somewhere?

[A] The keystrokes are only being collected, but not sent anywhere. Unless, of course, you install an app that grabs them out of dmesg.

[Q] Is this kernel OC/UV

[A] Not at this time. If someone points me to patches to accomplish this, I'll take a look and see if I can integrate them in an optional version of this kernel.

[Q] You used my [something] and didn't give me credit!

[A] Ooops, sorry about that! Let me know what it is and I'll do my best to correct the situation.

EDIT: updated zip, patch, and checksums to fix a version number glitch.
EDIT: disclaimer, note about other Bali kernels.
EDIT: reformat, updated main credits and thanks
EDIT: correct typo on first line timestamp
EDIT: try to clarify license logic; note presence of Voodoo CWM; adjust some wording; additional warnings; remove ineffective humor
EDIT: note about inclusion RubiX Xcel 0.0.5
EDIT: note about soft brick with GingerClone v2
EDIT: 20120602 - added s3c keypad delay patch

Last edited:

mjsell2

Jul 20, 2009
Louisville
key logger

You'll have to forgive my choppy memory on which developer I was speaking with, but I remember talking to one of the google developers back in my G1 days about the key logger. Apparently this was put into the kernel as an option for development and crash reporting. When you "send report" on a crashed program it will grab the info from the key logger as well as syslog to send to google/manufacturer to supposedly improve future releases.

Just another example of things that could be good, but will end up being used in a bad way.

ReActiveDisorder

Apr 12, 2012
Bali_SK4g kernel 20110520.nxd

Goals are security and stability. To that end, I have disabled the keystroke logger Samsung shipped in their sources. This keystroke logger is present and active on many Sidekick custom ROMs and kernels, including older Bali kernels.

Download: https://carbon.flatlan.net/nxd/Bali_SK4G_20120520_nxd.zip

MD5 541fd0a8569aafeb488de4867011e884
SHA1 2dd274cb97519c39fba5483930d325425b7310bc

Kernel sources: Dr. Honk, GPL

Initramfs: sduvick, unknown license

Kernel update.zip skel: Francois Simond, WTFPL

Modified slightly by nxd

See https://carbon.flatlan.net/nxd/ for patches. They are licensed under the GPL.

Thanks to Dr. Honk, AdamOutler, sduvick, Jax184, ayoteddy, John_2K2, Rebellos, Project Voodoo, windxixi, and Glass Echidna, makers of Heimdall.

[A] Open up a terminal app and get a shell on your Sidekick. Open the keyboard, type "dmesg", then press Return.

Code:

Those are your keystrokes. The numbers correspond to specific keys. Any app capable of reading dmesg can get your keystrokes from the hardware keypad.

[A] It's obvious that the key pressed/released messages are for debugging. There is no malicious intent. Samsung forgot to (or chose not to) disable this logging when they shipped the kernel sources.

However, just because Samsung meant no harm, doesn't mean no harm can be done. Do you really want any app on your phone to be able to read all your keystrokes since boot?

[A] The keystrokes are only being collected, but not sent anywhere. Unless, of course, you install an app that grabs them out of dmesg.

[Q] I don't care about that.

[A] So noted.

[Q] Is this kernel OC/UV

[A] Not at this time. If someone points me to patches to accomplish this, I'll take a look and see if I can integrate them in an optional version of this kernel.

[Q] You used my [whatever] and didn't give me credit!

[A] Ooops, sorry about that! Let me know what it is and I'll do my best to correct the situation.

Does this have voodoo recovery built in???

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

nxd

Oct 19, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Does this have voodoo recovery built in???

It has the usual voodoo initramfs binaries and scripts under /voodoo. So it should be able to support the voodoo recovery, and it might try to convert your partitions to ext4.

However, I believe the recovery "image" lives under /system on android, and that is not part of this zip.

EDIT
Correction: it has the full red (Voodoo) CWM initramfs package, as in other Bali kernels.

Last edited:

ReActiveDisorder

Apr 12, 2012
Really, I just wish ReActivedisorder would stop tearing down everyone who isn't on his team. That's it. But I think it's probably too much to ask.

I "did" by assembling this kernel. I put a lot of work into it. I bricked my phone several times in the past two weeks working on it. I learned a lot about download mode. I identified bugs and fixed them. I compressed the zip about a dozen times until the function, credits, fit and finish were just right.

In comes ReActiveDisorder and uses my own thread to tear me down, on the basis of incomplete information. His own ROM has /system/bin/recovery. But because I'm aware that the fallback recovery for certain bootloaders lives in /system/bin, I'm apparently likely to brick peoples' devices and should leave the development to him.

I'm sick of it, and I won't let his bogus claims go unanswered in my own thread.

I don't want him to leave, I want him to be respectful of others, especially new developers.

What team??? I have no team. I help others out but thats it. I am a lone wolf. Nothing more.

I am sorry for bashing you in your thread. Its a nasty habit I need to over come. The reason I asked you if you included voodoo recovery is cause I was planning on using your kernel in my rom until I get time to compile my own from samsung source. I am all about rom privacy. We dont need Carrier IQ....Tmobile.....Samsung....Anyone looking at our info and key strokes.

Dont let my stupid a** stop you from doing your thing. I get very very defensive as you can tell. It is the prior military in me I guess... I was a drill sergeant at one time so I should help explain my "Bully Complex". :)

I also deleted all my Posts from this one all the way back to when I asked bout voodoo recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: nxd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bali_SK4g KJ2 kernel 20120602_nxd

You should not attempt to flash this kernel unless you are comfortable flashing kernels, and if need be, restoring using ODIN or Heimdall.

As with any custom flashing operation, there is a chance that the installation of this kernel could go all wrong and brick your device. If something breaks, you get to keep both pieces. By using this kernel, you agree that neither I nor any of the other contributors bear any responsibility.

I highly recommend you look at the other Bali/Voodoo kernel threads in the Sidekick 4G development forum. This kernel has all the same installation requirements/caveats/risks, at minimum.

It is a foregone conclusion that this kernel will only work with KJ2 ROMs. Please do not try it with KD2 or KG2 ROMs, it will almost certainly soft brick at best.

I tested this kernel on top of GenericGinger 2.0, by john_2k2.

It was found to function properly with RubiX Xcel 0.0.4. It is now included in 0.0.5. If you are using RubiX Xcel 0.0.5 or later, there is no need to flash this kernel.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1654684

There has been at least one report of this kernel causing a soft brick state with GingerClone v2. Please do not attempt to use this kernel with that ROM.

It may or may not work well with other ROMs; it would be wise to check with the developer of your preferred ROM before flashing this kernel. It should work anywhere other Bali 2.2-like KJ2 kernels work, but you never know for sure until you try.

Download: https://carbon.flatlan.net/nxd/Bali_SK4G_20120602_nxd.zip

MD5 6de219a41fa6739f43d6003476392728
    SHA1 1ec796f8292e29e91682dce6f23e1776aa91ab1c

Dr. Honk:
    Kernel sources, GPL

sduvick:
    Initramfs, unknown license

supercurio (Francois Simond):
    Kernel update.zip skel, WTFPL
    Voodoo (red) CWM, GPL

mkasick:
    s3c keypad delay patch, GPL
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16096212&postcount=79

Modified slightly by nxd

See https://carbon.flatlan.net/nxd/ for patches. Anyone who wishes is free to incorporate the patches into their kernel compiles and/or ROMs, under the terms of the GPL. As far as I am concerned, you are free to incorporate the contents of the .zip into ROMs, provided you give credit to the above contributors.

Thanks to Dr. Honk, AdamOutler, sduvick, Jax184, ayoteddy, John_2K2, Rebellos, supercurio & Project Voodoo, windxixi, Glass Echidna, mkasick, cyanogen
    and the Cyanogenmod team.

Code:

[Q] Is this kernel OC/UV

[Q] You used my [something] and didn't give me credit!

EDIT: disclaimer, note about other Bali kernels.
    EDIT: reformat, updated main credits and thanks
    EDIT: correct typo on first line timestamp
    EDIT: try to clarify license logic; note presence of Voodoo CWM; adjust some wording; additional warnings; remove ineffective humor
    EDIT: note about inclusion RubiX Xcel 0.0.5
    EDIT: note about soft brick with GingerClone v2
    EDIT: 20120602 - added s3c keypad delay patch
    Sorry my temper was on such vivid display. As you guessed, it has the red (Voodoo) CWM.

You're welcome to use the compiled kernel or the patches, or just use the idea. That goes for everyone.

My work on this kernel package is really just a few // comments in the right places. It seems like releasing a downloadable kernel drew more attention to the keystroke logger than just posting about it. Hopefully we can eradicate the logger.

Thanks. I've zeroed mine out also, I'm happy to dispense with the lot of it.

I have no doubt you were an effective drill sergeant. :) Thank you for your service.

If you do use the kernel, please let me know if you find any problems. I've been using it as a daily driver for a few days now, but I'm sure it has its share of bugs.

If you can post the link for your kernel in my thread so users can flash it as a seperate flashable zip. I will add it in v0.0.5 im in the process of rolling back ALOT Of TW Code. v0.0.5 wont be out for a couple of days.

Post deleted.
    Really, I just wish ReActivedisorder would stop tearing down everyone who isn't on his team. That's it. But I think it's probably too much to ask.

I "did" by assembling this kernel. I put a lot of work into it. I bricked my phone several times in the past two weeks working on it. I learned a lot about download mode. I identified bugs and fixed them. I compressed the zip about a dozen times until the function, credits, fit and finish were just right.

In comes ReActiveDisorder and uses my own thread to tear me down, on the basis of incomplete information. His own ROM has /system/bin/recovery. But because I'm aware that the fallback recovery for certain bootloaders lives in /system/bin, I'm apparently likely to brick peoples' devices and should leave the development to him.

I'm sick of it, and I won't let his bogus claims go unanswered in my own thread.

I don't want him to leave, I want him to be respectful of others, especially new developers.

What team??? I have no team. I help others out but thats it. I am a lone wolf. Nothing more.

I am sorry for bashing you in your thread. Its a nasty habit I need to over come. The reason I asked you if you included voodoo recovery is cause I was planning on using your kernel in my rom until I get time to compile my own from samsung source. I am all about rom privacy. We dont need Carrier IQ....Tmobile.....Samsung....Anyone looking at our info and key strokes.

Dont let my stupid a** stop you from doing your thing. I get very very defensive as you can tell. It is the prior military in me I guess... I was a drill sergeant at one time so I should help explain my "Bully Complex". :)

I also deleted all my Posts from this one all the way back to when I asked bout voodoo recovery.