[SGH-I317/M] CF-Auto-Root

Search This thread

opsahl

Feb 19, 2011
Re: [2012.12.04][SGH-I317/M] CF-Auto-Root

I can confirm that after OTA 4.1 .2 this method works if you reinstall Super SU from the market.

At&t note 2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

cardonam

Jul 28, 2008
will this work for 4.1.2?

Will this work for phone on 4.1.2?

Check your device model ! Settings -> About device -> Model number. See the third post for exact support model numbers. If your device is a totally different model, it will not work (may even brick) !

CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
CF-Root has been available for many devices and has clocked over 8 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
- SuperSU binary and APK
- Stock recovery

Installation and usage
Flash the CF-Auto-Root package as PDA in ODIN (details on how to do that are in next post), and your device should reboot into a modified recovery (signified by a large red Android logo) and it will install SuperSU for you and restore the stock recovery, and reboot back into Android.

If you don't get to the red Android logo, boot into recovery manually ("adb reboot recovery", or boot while holding Power+VolUp+Home).

Using this root increases your flash counter. You should run Triangle Away (see below) after rooting to reset the counter. Note that if you want to run custom kernels or custom recoveries, your flash counter will be set to 1 at every boot. Either configure Triangle Away to reset the counter at every boot (Play version only) or only reset the counter when you need to go into warranty.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Not included - Triangle Away
Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
[CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
Re: [2013.02.20][SGH-I317/M] CF-Auto-Root

This might have already been answered somewhere so sorry if I overlooked it. Ok I downloaded cf auto root to use on my s3. Can I use that cf auto root or do I need to download a different cf auto root for each different model of phone. Ive ordered a note2 and first order of business will be to root it and Im not sure if this program is like mobile odin where the one app can be used on many devices or if you need to download a different cf auto root for each individual model. Like I said if this has been answered already im sorry for overlooking it.
Chainfire this is another great app that makes life easier. Thanks for the hard work. Oh while im giving compliments mobile odin is awesome too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 20, 2012
Backup?

I'm new to rooting and have been reading to limit my questions but it is still confusing.

Anyway, I rooted my GN2 with 4.1.2 just fine. It was very simple and quick.

What I am confused is if I need to still do a backup since stock recovery was installed by this method. I read some recommendation on doing a Nandroid backup but I needed a cwm or twrp recovery?

As far as this thread goes, there was a mention that CF-Auto-Root has nothing to do with CWM or TWRP but is a modified recovery.

Any insight and wisdom is much appreciated.

stuckmoto

Mar 17, 2012
Delaware

When you ran auto root you "modified" the recovery. You still have to flash a "custom" recovery. I recommend TWRP for this device. Once that is done it's usually wise to do a "nandroid"(back-up)of ur stock ROM in case you want to go back for some reason. If you decide to flash a custom ROM...do yourself and favor and read the OP carefully and follow the directions. Use the search before asking questions that might have been discussed already. GL!

mstickland

Sep 20, 2012
Can my carrier tell im rooted..

First off thanks again chainfire awesome work! but I wanted to know.. After rooting I kept stock rom and recovery and it said 'modified' on build. I booted into stock recovery and wiped my cache, after rebooting it now shows official and allows me to check for ota updates. I am having a problem with my phone 'shocking' me sometimes when i pick it up while charging and i was thinking about sending back to Bell for repair or change. Do they (carriers) have another method of checking (other than flash counter, ive never even flashed custom recovery)? Thanks guys.

ChevyWarfrat

Mar 25, 2013

It looks as if this root will work for 4.1.2 if I am mistaken please let me know
Also will I still have Multi Window?

Yes it works on 4.1.2 ota I have done it myself and I have unrooted and reset flash counter to it works great easiest way out there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

Mar 20, 2012
When you ran auto root you "modified" the recovery. You still have to flash a "custom" recovery. I recommend TWRP for this device. Once that is done it's usually wise to do a "nandroid"(back-up)of ur stock ROM in case you want to go back for some reason. If you decide to flash a custom ROM...do yourself and favor and read the OP carefully and follow the directions. Use the search before asking questions that might have been discussed already. GL!

I've done my reading and I'm ready to install the Cleanrom SE for ATT. I understand I can install TWRP using GooManager and do a nandroid. Since I've been using my phone after rooting few months ago, do I need to do a factory data reset before doing a nandroid?

cwhitney24

Jun 12, 2011
Daphne, AL
I've done my reading and I'm ready to install the Cleanrom SE for ATT. I understand I can install TWRP using GooManager and do a nandroid. Since I've been using my phone after rooting few months ago, do I need to do a factory data reset before doing a nandroid?

Wipe data after the Nan before flashing the new Rom. Do it before and you won't have anything to do a nan back up with.

Sent from The Bacon Pope's Galaxy Note 2

Reactions: stuckmoto

Franky15

Feb 4, 2013
Vega Baja
I got a question how do I OTA update without removing the root? I got this root and this id my first time, I have searched but I dont even know what to look for so the search didnt go well. I got a samsung galaxy note 2 at&t. If I have to remove the root does it eliminate any information or apps I have? Help please new to this and want to do it right. Any pointers or links to pages with the info im looking for will be greatly appreciated. CF auto root

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
If you are stock other than root....you can remove root from within the super user app settings. ..
The removal of SU still may not be enough to allow the update however.

Often, some remnants remain and require a factory reset of the device. Not always. ...but sometimes. ..

You could just as easily flash a custom recovery, and the rooted updated rom....IMHO

Unless you are referring to future updates...in which case you would want the first method. ..g

johnfre

Jul 28, 2011
Owen Sound
Big red FAIL after trying on new Galaxy Note 2

Big red FAIL after trying on new Galaxy Note 2!
Android 4.1.2
Trying from Win7-64bit, any issue with that?
ODIN sees it ok, and pick up the CF-Auto-Root-t0ltecan-t0ltevl-sghi317m.tar.md5 ok.
When I load into PDA and "Start"... goes for seconds, then... FAIL
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> CF-Auto-Root-t0ltecan-t0ltevl-sghi317m.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/010> Odin v.3 engine (ID:10)..
<ID:0/010> File analysis..
<ID:0/010> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/010> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Any ideas? (I've done this before, and have CORRECT md5 i317m !

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Check your device model ! Settings -> About device -> Model number. See the third post for exact support model numbers. If your device is a totally different model, it will not work (may even brick) !

CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
    CF-Root has been available for many devices and has clocked over 8 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Stock recovery

Installation and usage
    Flash the CF-Auto-Root package as PDA in ODIN (details on how to do that are in next post), and your device should reboot into a modified recovery (signified by a large red Android logo) and it will install SuperSU for you and restore the stock recovery, and reboot back into Android.

If you don't get to the red Android logo, boot into recovery manually ("adb reboot recovery", or boot while holding Power+VolUp+Home).

Using this root increases your flash counter. You should run Triangle Away (see below) after rooting to reset the counter. Note that if you want to run custom kernels or custom recoveries, your flash counter will be set to 1 at every boot. Either configure Triangle Away to reset the counter at every boot (Play version only) or only reset the counter when you need to go into warranty.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Not included - Triangle Away
    Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
    As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
    [CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
    For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.
    ODIN Installation (detailed)

- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
    - Unzip the attached Odin3-vX.X.zip file
    - Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
    - If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
    - (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    - Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
    - Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
    - (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
    - Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the Start button
    - Wait for Android to boot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

- NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ;)) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

You may now optionally want to install and run Triangle Away to reset the flash counter.
    Download

2013.05.20 --- CF-Auto-Root

SuperSU: v1.30

Download:

SGH-I317: CF-Auto-Root-t0lteatt-t0lteatt-samsungsghi317.zip
    SGH-I317M: CF-Auto-Root-t0ltecan-t0ltevl-sghi317m.zip

--- History ---
    2013.05.20: SuperSU v1.30
    2013.02.20: SuperSU v1.05
    2012.12.02: SuperSU v0.98
    2012.11.08: SuperSU v0.96
    @CF - donation made for your efforts with the "keep it simple root method"! this is the easiest method to root and then unroot that i've used. :) right after i rooted my device, i installed GooManager, flashed TWRP and began customizing my device. however, after a couple of days with my GN2, i've determined i'm not the targeted user for this device, so i unrooted and returned to att. this is a solid device, super fast, fluid with unlimited potential! In my case, I simply prefer the size of my S3.

my unroot, return to stock rom, stock recovery and Normal device status are listed below. AS ALWAYS I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS FUBAR's YOUR DEVICE. i'm simply posting for informational purposes only. (not sure all of the steps below are are necessary):

1. Reboot to TWRP recovery to complete a factory reset
    2. Used CF's method to re-root and reinstall the stock recovery (e.g., method listed in 2nd Post of this thread).
    3. Purchased & installed Triangle-Away from market
    4. Used Triangle-Away to reset the counter
    5. After reboot (from step 4) uninstalled Triangle Away
    6. Via SuperSU, used the Full Unroot option to unroot. Checked GN2 Device Status and it said Modified
    7. Booted into stock recovery performed a factory reset.
    8. After device rebooted, checked Device Status again and it said Normal
    9. Returned the device to att corp store; att checked and confirmed device status (as Normal) and issued a refund.
    CF, thanks again for your efforts!
    Thread cleaned

There is a Thanks button on the OP - use it rather than cluttering up the thread.