S5 rooted, now what?

Search This thread

mkitchin

Oct 17, 2012
I have never run a stock OS rooted. Always AOKP or CM. What should we do now?
-How to we protect it to make sure VZW doesn't somehow patch it?
-Tethering without Foxfi now possible. See below.
-SuperSu info - see below.
-What will we need to do about updates?
-What else?

Read below. I'm adding helpful info as it is collected.

GeoHot (and others), you are the man (men). Thanks guys. All bounty pledgers, pay up!

If you need to root your S5, go here. Donate as well! http://towelroot.com/

** No, Root does not allow us to unlock the bootloader. They are entirely different. I personally have not heard of anyone working on that. Most knowledgeable people I have heard say it would require a leak of the keys from Verizon. **

***Below are apps and/or tweaks (not obvious ones) known to work by me or someone else that has tested***
-Xposed Framework
----X Tether (Free tethering)!
----Wanam Xposed - Free tethering option does NOT work for me. Others report it does.
-Super SU 2.0 in Play store now works. Link below no longer needed.
----use this version http://download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip

Last edited:

kilroy1stcav

Apr 21, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
-I assume we can enable native tethering without FoxFi?
-I know there is some chatter about SuperSu. It fails to update. Need a new version from Chainfire?
-What else?

GeoHot (and others), you are the man (men). Thanks guys. All bounty pledgers, pay up!

Did you install SU before or after rooting? Or had that problem, stupid me in the antisapation of having root I installed SU last night and after rooting just now could not for the life of me get it to update SU, after multiple reboots I finally uninstalled it after clearing the cache and app settings in app manager, rebooted then reinstalled, then ran root checker, it failed then it asked for root, granted, rechecked, and it passed!

GlitchMob

Apr 4, 2013
Bay Area
-I know there is some chatter about SuperSu. It fails to update. Need a new version from Chainfire?
-What else?

logically, you should avoid any vzw updates. SU may fail, but it still works. try running a rooted app. it will ask you to grant permission. I just removed over 12 apps that vzw forced on my phone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Backwardsblade

Nov 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
logically, you should avoid any vzw updates. SU may fail, but it still works. try running a rooted app. it will ask you to grant permission. I just removed over 12 apps that vzw forced on my phone.

can you share what was safe to remove so far without messing up any framework dependencies?

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
chainfire needs to update app before well b able to update it.. it still has root and works so be patient.. we cant keep vzw/samsung from patching it on future devices but it will take them a bit of time so id imagine later updates and newer phones yet to come out would be patched.. now we enjoy root until someone down the road (hopefully) gets us custom recovery for custom roms but lets not jump the gun here, we just got root so let the devs enjoy that feat lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium HD app

G

GuestK00143

Disable OTA

chainfire needs to update app before well b able to update it.. it still has root and works so be patient.. we cant keep vzw/samsung from patching it on future devices but it will take them a bit of time so id imagine later updates and newer phones yet to come out would be patched.. now we enjoy root until someone down the road (hopefully) gets us custom recovery for custom roms but lets not jump the gun here, we just got root so let the devs enjoy that feat lol

Rename SDM.apk and SDM.odex. to .bak files and VZW can't use the OTA updater anymore. The software updater in settings will be gone too. You will need a file explorer like fx and the root add on for this, it's free.

EDIT: SDM.apk is in the system/app driectory.

Last edited:

s44

Sep 25, 2010
Safestrap is next: you'll be able to run custom ROMs but not custom kernels, so TW builds but not AOSP (unless the S5 GPE is built on a TW kernel, as the original 4.2.2 S4 GPE ROM was). I wouldn't actually delete any APKs from your device; just freeze them with Titanium.

GlitchMob

Apr 4, 2013
Bay Area
can you share what was safe to remove so far without messing up any framework dependencies?

Sure, but I cannot guarantee you won't have any issues. I managed to remove a decent amount of bloat apps and rebooted successfully. I will list them below.

- Google +
- Google Books
- Google Play Music
- Audible
- VZW protection
- Messaging +
- Amazon
- Kindle
- Amazon Appstore
- IMDB
- VZW ringtones
- VZW protection and support
- Isis Wallet

and a few more that I cannot remember. I hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Safestrap is next: you'll be able to run custom ROMs but not custom kernels, so TW builds but not AOSP (unless the S5 GPE is built on a TW kernel, as the original 4.2.2 S4 GPE ROM was). I wouldn't actually delete any APKs from your device; just freeze them with Titanium.

Wouldn't the bootloader need to be unlocked first?

Reactions: Backwardsblade

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
Sure, but I cannot guarantee you won't have any issues. I managed to remove a decent amount of bloat apps and rebooted successfully. I will list them below.

- Google +
- Google Books
- Google Play Music
- Audible
- VZW protection
- Messaging +
- Amazon
- Kindle
- Amazon Appstore
- IMDB
- VZW ringtones
- VZW protection and support
- Isis Wallet

and a few more that I cannot remember. I hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Wouldn't the bootloader need to be unlocked first?

no.. safestrap doesnt change or effect bootloader which is why youd only be able to install roms compatible with the locked bootloader

Reactions: GlitchMob

kilroy1stcav

Apr 21, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

He already updated SU HERE: http://download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

-What else?

SU updated here: http://download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip

vacaloca

Jun 11, 2010
Two of the more useful features (I believe) are:

1) native tethering -- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2768837
2) download booster -- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2719582

There's no concept of recovery, so it would involve uploading the files via adb or some other means and running the scripts via terminal emulator/adb

(1) involves replacing framework-res.apk with the packaged copy -- last time I tried to attempt something like that with a live filesystem I ended up with a bootloop I couldn't resolve and had to reflash the stock ODIN, which I don't want to do at this time.

You can also enable the hidden menus via the phone dialer after root -- change /efs/carrier/HiddenMenu to ON

Droid_Evo_8

Apr 21, 2011
Central CA

There's no concept of recovery, so it would involve uploading the files via adb or some other means and running the scripts via terminal emulator/adb

(1) involves replacing framework-res.apk with the packaged copy -- last time I tried to attempt something like that with a live filesystem I ended up with a bootloop I couldn't resolve and had to reflash the stock ODIN, which I don't want to do at this time.

You can also enable the hidden menus via the phone dialer after root -- change /efs/carrier/HiddenMenu to ON

The custom recovery from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2746586 won't work on ours?

GlitchMob

Apr 4, 2013
Bay Area

Have you personally tried the dl booster on the S5?

vacaloca

Jun 11, 2010
Have you personally tried the dl booster on the S5?

I have not. From the updater script on the 2.1 ODEX zip file on that thread it's replacing these files:

/system/framework/services.jar
/system/framework/services.odex
/system/priv-app/SecSettings.apk
/system/priv-app/SecSettings.odex

I briefly looked through the thread and I don't believe the author of the mod specifically mentioned what the changes he did are. I'd prefer getting the original files from my own phone, extracting/decompiling the contents, making the relevant changes, packaging them back up and replacing them on the phone (after making backups). I'm also lazy, so i'll probably leave that to someone else. :)

Reactions: GlitchMob

GlitchMob

Apr 4, 2013
Bay Area
I have not. From the updater script on the 2.1 ODEX zip file on that thread it's replacing these files:

/system/framework/services.jar
/system/framework/services.odex
/system/priv-app/SecSettings.apk
/system/priv-app/SecSettings.odex

I briefly looked through the thread and I don't believe the author of the mod specifically mentioned what the changes he did are. I'd prefer getting the original files from my own phone, extracting/decompiling the contents, making the relevant changes, packaging them back up and replacing them on the phone (after making backups). I'm also lazy, so i'll probably leave that to someone else. :)

lol same here. I'll wait till I hear more from people who actually try it.

ryanpm939

Apr 22, 2014
-What else?

Does anyone have a good method for enabling the native hotspot app for free? On my old Motorola RAZR all I had to do was flip the entitlement check with a sql editor. Obviously it's not that easy anymore...

vacaloca

Jun 11, 2010
Does anyone have a good method for enabling the native hotspot app for free? On my old Motorola RAZR all I had to do was flip the entitlement check with a sql editor. Obviously it's not that easy anymore...

Apparently xposed framework with X Tether module will do it, according to some replies on the thread I linked to above in post #12.

Edit: Here is the native way to do it:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2759119

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -Tethering without Foxfi now possible. See below.
    -SuperSu info - see below.
    -What else?

Read below. I'm adding helpful info as it is collected.

If you need to root your S5, go here. Donate as well! http://towelroot.com/

** No, Root does not allow us to unlock the bootloader. They are entirely different. I personally have not heard of anyone working on that. Most knowledgeable people I have heard say it would require a leak of the keys from Verizon. **

***Below are apps and/or tweaks (not obvious ones) known to work by me or someone else that has tested***
    -Xposed Framework
    ----X Tether (Free tethering)!
    ----Wanam Xposed - Free tethering option does NOT work for me. Others report it does.
    -Super SU 2.0 in Play store now works. Link below no longer needed.
    ----use this version http://download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip
    Er, please take this in a spirit of wishing you well... if you have to ask about the difference between root, bootloader, and recovery, you really are better off not rooting unless you have a very specific and very limited goal in mind. Rooting your device permits you to assume god-like powers over your phone's file structure, files, and their contents. As supersuser, do the wrong thing and you could brick your phone or at least seriously degrade its capabilities.

Again, if you have to ask, you're better off letting this one go. [/smile]

He already updated SU HERE: http://download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

-What else?

SU updated here: http://download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip