Interesting article on the new ipad buyers

Search This thread

dreadmador

Apr 1, 2011
I've got three android devices, two ios devices and one webos device. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but there's no doubt that the ios devices are better built and offer a better user experience.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Yes, because obviously aluminum is better than modern plastics, right? It's shinier, so it's got to be better!

I bet if you had to take a bullet and you had the option of wearing a vest with either a steel or kevlar plate, you'd choose the steel plate "because it feels heavier". Yep, that's pretty much the average Apple consumer's rationale.

tweaked

Sep 12, 2008
Your Moms house
Google Pixel 4a
I've got three android devices, two ios devices and one webos device. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but there's no doubt that the ios devices are better built and offer a better user experience.

My grandmother agrees with you.

IOS is locked down, terrible looking, hard to use for web, noob fodder. I liked IOS better then cupcake, but everything after is hands down a better user experience. My opinion of course.

karlr30

May 17, 2011
Quebec, Qc
I totally agree with you goodintentions, it's a big no...
There is no line when a new android go out,and no report on the news....
There is no sheep factor.

Last edited:

ill1

Jan 22, 2012
Kansas City
It's all perception

It matters little if the display is better on the new ipad vs the old or other tablets. Because what Apple understands that Google along with other Android tablet makers don't is perception. Google to my knowledge has never advertised heavily an android tablet. I think I seen like one Xoom commercial back when it first came out. But the ipad along with other Apple products are in movies TV shows etc. So the public perception is this is THE tablet to have. The ipad is marketed as almost an fashion item, it's apart of the culture. Last weeks episode of the House of Lies has a scene with the transformer in it that was the first time I'd ever seen it on TV.
Android tablets aren't marketed as must have items, so people don't see them as must have, but they constantly see the ipad.

I think Android tablets are eating into ipad's market share more than Apple likes oe they wouldn't bring it up. Also I think if the Prime had a better launch and ICS on it was rock solid with a good number of quality apps this whole conversation would very different. Just my opinion tho.

EP2008

Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don't shoot the messenger guys. There's a reason why hundreds of people line up to get ipads. You may not like it, but it works for a LOT of users.

I won my ipad 2. Didn't pay a cent for it. It fell from my lap and got a dent on its side. Apple sent me a new unit. This is all part of the package with "user experience ".

With Asus, I had to send back my Transformer for defective speakers a few weeks after getting it. I had to pay to ship it to them and had to provide my own packaging. It came back over a week later with bad light bleed, and they asked me to send it back again at my expense. Then they admit that early docks have battery drain issues and said I could send it back for repair at my expense again. At what point does this tablet become an "expensive tablet"?

HP was insanely impressive when I had to send back my $150 Touchpad for a case defect. No charge shipping either way, they even sent me a box! When I received my replacement, it too had a problem, so they overnighted me another one... Free of charge. I always had a unit at hand before sending the other in. It did not disrupt my life.

User experience is way more than a customizable UI.

ill1

Jan 22, 2012
Kansas City
Don't shoot the messenger guys. There's a reason why hundreds of people line up to get ipads. You may not like it, but it works for a LOT of users.

I won my ipad 2. Didn't pay a cent for it. It fell from my lap and got a dent on its side. Apple sent me a new unit. This is all part of the package with "user experience ".

With Asus, I had to send back my Transformer for defective speakers a few weeks after getting it. I had to pay to ship it to them and had to provide my own packaging. It came back over a week later with bad light bleed, and they asked me to send it back again at my expense. Then they admit that early docks have battery drain issues and said I could send it back for repair at my expense again. At what point does this tablet become an "expensive tablet"?

HP was insanely impressive when I had to send back my $150 Touchpad for a case defect. No charge shipping either way, they even sent me a box! When I received my replacement, it too had a problem, so they overnighted me another one... Free of charge. I always had a unit at hand before sending the other in. It did not disrupt my life.

User experience is way more than a customizable UI.

I can agree with this.

ssl123

Feb 18, 2012
Not all experiences end that way. My friend took a broken iPad to the Apple Store, and they couldn't do anything for him except offer to sell him a refurb. It was a cracked screen.

With non-Apple devices, consider taking some of the $100+ you save and spending it on an extended warranty that covers any user damage. The reason Apple can replace some damaged devices is because they charge everyone the extra money. They also make money on the apps you buy, which is not something Android vendors, aside from Google and Amazon, can do, though some continue to try. Can't buy razorblades if your shaver is broken, right?

Last edited:

brlowe

Sep 12, 2011
I have 2 TF101's an Ipad 1 and now a new Ipad. I bought the first TF101 for myself and wanted it to be perfect. But it failed. I have 3 things I use my tablet for that I want it to do well. I use Zinio for reading magazine. I use them for power points and to read PDF's. Sure the TF101 will do all those but it is no were near as good as the Ipad. On the Ipad if you import a powerpoint with animations it imports them and they function good. Sometimes you need to fix them a little. In edit mode I can jump from screen to screen fast. On the TF101 all animations are stripped out and I tried every office app I could find. I must have spent $40 on different apps and always the same results. Plus in edit mode it is very slow to move from one screen to the other, sometimes painfully slow.
Zinio is just plain smooth on the ipad and on my TF101 it is not smooth, even when I'm overclocked to 1.5.
PDF's are crazy slow on the TF101 were they are super smooth on the IPAD.

Now things I like about my TF101. I'm a hobbiest photographer and take lots of pics while on trips. I can take my TF and no laptop with me and I can use the keyboard doc to transfer pics to a usb drive and other storage devices. This I cannot do yet on my Ipad but I'm at Seagate drive to solve that problem.
I like being able to make my desktop or home page look however I want and this cannot be done on an IOS device. I really love widgets and mis those on my Ipad.

So if my Android could have done the powerpoints the way I needed, worked better with PDF's and just been smoother in many places I do not think I would have gone back to an Ipad.
I can tell you this, my new ipad loads web pages crazy fast and it is super smooth for scrolling. I have only had it 3 days and I have already done my first powerpoint on it and it was great. An my first PDF looked and worked great.
Sorry guys but in my experiance the Ipad just works and it works well.
My TF101 is going to get a new rom flashed on it maybe back to HC to make it work better. I'm really unhappy with the ICS that Asus released. twice in the last week I have woke up in the middle of the night and it is in some kind of boot loop for no reason. The last time it happened I had done a factory reset on it that night and loaded no programs and it was doing this. Sorry but Asus is screwing up right now.
I sure hope they fix things.

Brandon

Let the flames fly

Last edited:

ill1

Jan 22, 2012
Kansas City
I have 2 TF101's an Ipad 1 and now a new Ipad. I bought the first TF101 for myself and wanted it to be perfect. But it failed. I have 3 things I use my tablet for that I want it to do well. I use Zinio for reading magazine. I use them for power points and to read PDF's. Sure the TF101 will do all those but it is no were near as good as the Ipad. On the Ipad if you import a powerpoint with animations it imports them and they function good. Sometimes you need to fix them a little. In edit mode I can jump from screen to screen fast. On the TF101 all animations are stripped out and I tried every office app I could find. I must have spent $40 on different apps and always the same results. Plus in edit mode it is very slow to move from one screen to the other, sometimes painfully slow.
Zinio is just plain smooth on the ipad and on my TF101 it is not smooth, even when I'm overclocked to 1.5.
PDF's are crazy slow on the TF101 were they are super smooth on the IPAD.

Now things I like about my TF101. I'm a hobbiest photographer and take lots of pics while on trips. I can take my TF and no laptop with me and I can use the keyboard doc to transfer pics to a usb drive and other storage devices. This I cannot do yet on my Ipad but I'm at Seagate drive to solve that problem.
I like being able to make my desktop or home page look however I want and this cannot be done on an IOS device. I really love widgets and mis those on my Ipad.

So if my Android could have done the powerpoints the way I needed, worked better with PDF's and just been smoother in many places I do not think I would have gone back to an Ipad.
I can tell you this, my new ipad loads web pages crazy fast and it is super smooth for scrolling. I have only had it 3 days and I have already done my first powerpoint on it and it was great. An my first PDF looked and worked great.
Sorry guys but in my experiance the Ipad just works and it works well.
My TF101 is going to get a new rom flashed on it maybe back to HC to make it work better. I'm really unhappy with the ICS that Asus released. twice in the last week I have woke up in the middle of the night and it is in some kind of boot loop for no reason. The last time it happened I had done a factory reset on it that night and loaded no programs and it was doing this. Sorry but Asus is screwing up right now.
I sure hope they fix things.

Brandon

Let the flames fly

I understand what your saying I came to Android from the first iphone that was given me, I thought it was the best phone ever. My brother had the motorola droid and I saw how easy it was for him to transfer music from the computer to his phone while I had to do everything through itunes. I strongly dislike itunes, I find it to be the least intuitive program I have ever used. I also think it wierd you have to hook the ipad to itunes to get it to work initially or to load anything on or off it. So once I got an EVO I never looked back. I'd like to have apps like flipboard, but having to do everything through itunes isn't worth it. I'm too used to my usb ports and user expandable storage that everyone always says "don't matter" There are QC, developer, and update roll out issues that Google needs to fix soon or Android tablets will continue struggling to sale.

ssl123

Feb 18, 2012
FYI, RepliGo Reader is the fastest PDF reader on Android. EzPDF is not bad either, but RepliGo is faster.

I really hate these kinds of threads. I always try to keep it reasonable when I participate, but come on: the iTunes requirement sucks. The feeling of not being in control also sucks, which is why I had to jailbreak mine when I had it. On Android, I have taken control from my hosts file to a whitelisting firewall. I have set up countless ways of getting my files onto the device. I have filemanagers that get me direct access to those files as well as to the system files themselves. I have set up ways to easily share those files, any files, with others. I can sideload whatever I want. The list goes on and on. I am in control of Android, not the other way around.

I am not going to say that iPads suck. They fit a certain user type. I don't happen to be that user type.

Also, if you share out a sample PPT, I can help check out some office products for you.

Last edited:

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
Your 15 tf's might be all good but the FACT is the random reboot problem exist. It's posted all over this and other forums.
Personally i dont suffer from this random reboot but I'm not going to pretend ALL TF are like mine.

You misunderstand me. I didn't say I don't believe it exists. On the contrary, I have no doubt that it exists. I'm just puzzled why it exists at all and why none of our 15 TFs have random reboots if it's such a wide spread problem.

oldcpu

Dec 17, 2011
Europe
some questions on your 15

You misunderstand me. I didn't say I don't believe it exists. On the contrary, I have no doubt that it exists. I'm just puzzled why it exists at all and why none of our 15 TFs have random reboots if it's such a wide spread problem.

That's pretty good not to have experienced this reboot on 15. It could be you did something systemic to minimize the occurrence.

I note thus far, everyone of my reboots have been when the Transformer was 'sleeping' with its black power down mode in effect, meaning I could only observe the reboot after I started to use it again. Hence impact minimal, but an annoyance never the less.

Some questions ... are they all on a WLAN ? WPA encryption ?

What was your ICS update technique ? Did you restore factory default before the update ? Remove any external SD cards ?

Are they all the same TF101 variant ? (mine is a B70 and it is experiencing reboots , ... I did not restore factory default before updating to ICS).

brlowe

Sep 12, 2011
FYI, RepliGo Reader is the fastest PDF reader on Android. EzPDF is not bad either, but RepliGo is faster.

Also, if you share out a sample PPT, I can help check out some office products for you.

Here is a link to a website I download Sunday School lessons from. Near the top you will find the download for the PPT file and a PDF version. The PPT has animations that you see when you run the powerpoint. On mt TF they just show the whole slide at once and when in edit mode it is very slow to refresh and move from slide to slide. Try to jump from slide 5 to 15 lets say and you will see.

http://www.sugardoodle.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7936&Itemid=200023

On that page you will also see the pdf version of the powerpoint and this will work but it too is very slow to refresh and or load. It can be painfully slow depending on the PDF. In both my ipads these load fast and you do not have to wait for it to refresh.

I would have to say these are my biggest complaints about my TF101.

Yes has everyone says I too do not like Itunes. I hate the way it manages my music. As far as using it with my Ipad the only things I do are backups and updates with it. I really do not load music on my Ipad, I use my phone for music which by the way is an HTC EVO.
The only other thing I do in Itunes it load pictures to my Ipad. I have an export setup in Lightroom that moves selected pictures to a folder that Itunes monitors and syncs to my Ipad when I want them. On my TF I use the same folder and export but I have to manually copy them to the SDcard.

Like I said before I like the TF101 but I just needed it to work better.

Last edited:

Pray4Mojo

Mar 18, 2012
I just viewed the ppt in Kingsoft office. It shows transition effects from slide to slide, and in edit you jump instantly from slide to slide using the thumbnails on the left hand border. I use ezpdf and the Kindle app for pdfs and they both work well for me. Hope this is of help if you want to try an Apple alternative. I cant stand iTunes either btw.

EP2008

Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
...perhaps not random reboot.. that can be fix by software..

but they suffer from heating problem.. no easy fix for that...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/18/is-your-new-ipad-heating-up/

Oh, please, those reports are just whiners in action. I still remember when some people whined about the metallic back being too cold and slippery to the hands in the winter. People will whine about everything.

I'm not here to find faults with the ipad 3. All I'm saying is putting that much pixels into a 9.8 inch screen is overkill. And I'm convinced most people can't tell the difference unless they have the ipad2 and ipad3 side by side zoomed all the way in.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The same can be said about most consumers who buy Android also.

Well you have your hardcore groups in either. I know people with an iPad 1 that didn't feel compelled to buy a 2... but the jump from 1 to 3 warrants a new purchase. I have a Transformer but didn't rush out for the Prime just because. Mine works great and nothing pushes it to a place where it under performs. Same with any make and model.

Its like console sales. Fanboys always say PS3 is selling more or 360 has the lead.... but eventually everyone who wants one will have one and numbers decline. Putting a bigger processor to run a larger screen resolution cancel out the speed benefits of said quad core. Plus native resolution will look good on any screen designed to run that specific resolution. My transformer has a beautiful screen with great clarity but I'm not running 1920x1200... how can that be!!!!

Super high resolutions are best left for the big dogs (ie PCs). 1280x1024 is plenty for a 10" screen. My 26" LCD PC monitor runs at 1920x1200... overkill for a 10" screen.

The downfall is now your forced to stream higher quality video because 480p will look like total crap when stretched to much. That or play them at their native size which will be super tiny = defeats purpose. Plus iOS is faced with ANOTHER resolution change, and we all know apps don't scale in Apple land... so prepare to purchase all your apps and games for their HD+ editions all over again.

Pass.

Asus TF101 ICS 4.0.3
    I'm sure they are not optimized. I do not think they are done by a pro.
    The point is they work great on an Ipad 1 but not on a TF101, even if I overclock they were still slow. I would expect them to be at least as fast.
    I hope Android catches up and passes Apple but at this point the Ipad is the winner for me.
    One more observation, I went to bed lastnight with my ipad at 75% battery and woke up this morning with 74%, the sleep works way better on an ipad. My TF101 will loose a lot of battery overnight unless I do a full shutdown. I think 10-15% overnight was the best I could do.

Haven't checked on ICS...but on HC, I was was getting 1-2% drain in nearly 14 hours. Yup...pick up the TF late in the morning...and battery is at 99%. I was very impressed. Consistently too...so I guess that's why I never really ckeded on ICS. :D.