SGS and burn-in?

Search This thread

systoxity

Nov 22, 2008
wow thnx for the heads up on this garbage! this peeves me, it betta come with warnings like plasma tvs

Pika007

Jun 22, 2010
The problem really isn't that bad.
Tilting the device sideways sometimes to move the status bar around is plenty to prevent burn in of the status bar.

drleospaceman

Jun 2, 2010
I've been using a Cowon S9 (AMOLED) everyday since Feb '09 that has static images displayed on it a lot when playing music, and it has absolutely no signs of burn-in.

Last edited:

AshMa

Mar 25, 2008
Malibu, CA
I thought the answer to this question would get yes and no answers just like every other SGS issue gets a batch of yes and no's here.

So these dang screens suffer the same as plasma screens of yesterday?! Having to use the SGS differently than other types of devices sounds like another real letdown. The iPhone doesn't have much of a status bar and it's annoying compared to the pulldown status bar of the Evo/Android. In other words, am I the only one who thinks it's no good to have to hide the status bar or any other feature that would be fine on other devices? Not asking for perfection but the SGS does some things better than other devices. It would be nice if it also did all of the other basic things all the other superphones can do like have a status bar always on (without causing damage to the display) because....well......it's a status bar.

drleospaceman

Jun 2, 2010
There really is no evidence that OLED has burn-in issues and with so many OLED devices out now I've not heard of one instance of it; even the wikipedia article posted here doesn't cite it's sources.

AshMa

Mar 25, 2008
Malibu, CA
There really is no evidence that OLED has burn-in issues; even the wikipedia article posted here doesn't cite it's sources.

I first thought of this after watching a pocketnow.com video in which they said it has happened and that one could just hide the status bar to help prevent this from happening. I don't know why this bothers me, due to the fact that I seem to get knew phones often. Regardless! I would be none too happy if after just a few months I too end up seeing a shadow of the status bar showing up during the boot screens. I'll try to locate that pocket now video.......

drizek

Jul 6, 2010
The siaplay uses a pentile matrix to reduce the powwibility of burn in. Samsung has already considered this and found ways around it, you dint need to treat the phone any differently.

tameracingdriver

Jul 5, 2010
Newcastle
There's no chance of getting screen burn on a modern mobile phone display, I really don't know why people start rumours like this?

Screen burn is only ever likely to occur on a crt, plasma display or really old lcds. A modern lcd / tft or oled will have no such problems. Even if there was, it would hardly be unique to the sgs...

AshMa

Mar 25, 2008
Malibu, CA
There's no chance of getting screen burn on a modern mobile phone display, I really don't know why people start rumours like this?

Screen burn is only ever likely to occur on a crt, plasma display or really old lcds. A modern lcd / tft or oled will have no such problems. Even if there was, it would hardly be unique to the sgs...

Again this is what they said about the Nexus One. They say they could see the status bar ghost/shadow on the boot screen. I've done a little research now and I do not see any clear answer to this as some say as you do and others say it does happen.

TravUK

Aug 20, 2008
UK
Again this is what they said about the Nexus One. They say they could see the status bar ghost/shadow on the boot screen. I've done a little research now and I do not see any clear answer to this as some say as you do and others say it does happen.

That would be contradictory to the way an AMOLED screen works. The term 'burn-in' is actually incorrect for AMOLED screens and is unrelated to the effect seen on plasmas. The problem with AMOLED is the organic nature of the dyes used to create the colours as they fade over time. The blue channel is the worst, but with the latest version they have a life-span of 10-20 years during which they degrade down to about 60-70% of their original intensity.

That's much longer than the typical lifespan of the phone.

Now with a Super AMOLED screen, if the pixel isnt coloured, it isnt lit and powered. So if it has faded and its not enabled, you cant see that its faded. If it is enabled but faded, you'd be very hard pressed to even notice it, because its still showing the right colour.

What you might see after several years of having the screen on all the time is some yellow-ing around the battery and 3G icons on a pure white screen. But thats several years with the screen on in excess of 12 hours a day, with the status bar showing. But I think it's pretty much common sense not to do that.

Oh course, we rely on the technology manufacturers to be honest about their lifespan claims, so only time will tell for sure. :)

Last edited:

TravUK

Aug 20, 2008
UK
The pentile matrix fixes this issue, if I understand it correctly.

It doesn't stop the dyes from degrading over time, but it might soften the edges of any fading making them less noticeable. Unless there's some other technology associated with the pentile matrix I'm not aware of. ( I design graphics chips, not displays, so I'm just guessing )

miker71

Jun 8, 2010
nr. Portsmouth
miker.biz
I thought I had a "burn in" problem with my 24" iMac but it turns out it's kind of normal, but reversable. It's something to do with exercising the screen elements, and burn-in is more likely to occur on a young screen with least exercised elements. As the screen ages the elements equalise (same amount of exercise on average) and burn-in is less likely, less noticable, and entirely reversable by powering the screen off for a length of time (my iMac's "burn-in" would disappear after being powered down overnight - before which I had not powered it off for weeks).

Anyway, I could be talking out of my proverbial, but that's how I understand it with modern screens.

TravUK

Aug 20, 2008
UK
miker71, your iMac's LCD screen is a very different technology from the OLED screens on the Galaxy S.

drizek

Jul 6, 2010
TravUK; said:
It doesn't stop the dyes from degrading over time, but it might soften the edges of any fading making them less noticeable. Unless there's some other technology associated with the pentile matrix I'm not aware of. ( I design graphics chips, not displays, so I'm just guessing )

It does, actually. The whole reason why they use pentile is so they can extend the life of the blue pixels. We have seen that t has some negative effect on readability, so obviously the main concern has to be lifetime.

So how about some red colored status bar icons? Is that too hard to do? Not only does it protect the blue pixels, it also reduces power consumption.

systoxity

Nov 22, 2008
lol yea i remember reading that about the red. still these posts have assuaged my fears a bit.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Top left of screen blue, burn in!!

the top left of my screen in the notification bar has a horrible blue tint compared to the rest of the screen when showing a fullscreen white background.
    This part of the screen doesn't get used as much as the rest, so...great? We not only have to worry about burn in but anti-burn in aswell

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
    Nothing over here. i have my phone for almost a year now and i didn't noticed any "burn".

How is this possible??? When the phone was released in JUNE 2010.