[Q] naming of update files is confusing ! Help!

Search This thread

XBoxD00D

Jul 16, 2011
1,000 Islands, NY
OK, after reading a bunch of posts today, I'm dizzy as h3ll, and very confused.
We have two updates that came out OTA in the past couple of days.
1.139.04_4.010.40_COM_GEN1
And then we have
1.141.07_4.010.13_COM_GEN2

I bought my Tablet at Walmart in Watertown, NY, and it was a GEN1 with HC 3.01 on it.
Now some are saying that Acer switched over to GEN2 for US tablets as of the 3.1 update. (I'm not naming names).

I've run multiple custom ROMs on my tablet, and recently went back to see how stable the Acer releases have been. I downloaded both of the files listed above, (actually 11 GEN2 then OTA update to 13).

One person stated that the GEN1 was an Australian release, and that the GEN 2 was the US release. I can confirm what someone else said, that they both have GPS.conf files for north America, not Europe, nor Australia. Now I've seen many custom ROMS with different GPS.conf files in them ie: Europe, North America, etc.

Here's my question, how can we know for certain #1 which update is indeed for which country, as they're both seemingly configured for use in North America, unless Acer is really messing things up and issuing updates for Australia with the GPS configured for north America, and it certainly wouldn't surprise me.
And #2, which update is the newest, as someone else stated that the prefix with the highest number is the latest version, and yet another said it was the one with the higher end number is the latest!

If someone knows the real answer to these two questions, please stand up!
Otherwise it's going to get very confusing when trying to give advice to others asking questions about updates if they don't like waiting on Acer to get their act together.
TIA :)

Reactions: Wowluck
K

kjy2010

And then we have

I bought my Tablet at Walmart in Watertown, NY, and it was a GEN1 with HC 3.01 on it.
Now some are saying that Acer switched over to GEN2 for US tablets as of the 3.1 update. (I'm not naming names).

I've run multiple custom ROMs on my tablet, and recently went back to see how stable the Acer releases have been. I downloaded both of the files listed above, (actually 11 GEN2 then OTA update to 13).

One person stated that the GEN1 was an Australian release, and that the GEN 2 was the US release. I can confirm what someone else said, that they both have GPS.conf files for north America, not Europe, nor Australia. Now I've seen many custom ROMS with different GPS.conf files in them ie: Europe, North America, etc.

Here's my question, how can we know for certain #1 which update is indeed for which country, as they're both seemingly configured for use in North America, unless Acer is really messing things up and issuing updates for Australia with the GPS configured for north America, and it certainly wouldn't surprise me.
And #2, which update is the newest, as someone else stated that the prefix with the highest number is the latest version, and yet another said it was the one with the higher end number is the latest!

Otherwise it's going to get very confusing when trying to give advice to others asking questions about updates if they don't like waiting on Acer to get their act together.
Wow no answers to this post. Especially with everyone knowing everything in other threads.....amazing! ;)

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Here we go...This is from Acer's patch documents and best shows the current separate code trains...

A. Countries: UK/France/Italy/Spain
- Affected OS versions:
Acer_A500_4.010.22_COM_GEN1
Acer_A500_4.010.30_COM_GEN1
- After installing the update, you are advised to update your tablet’s operating system to:
Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1
Acer_A500_4.010.38_7.006.01_COM_GEN1 (3.2)

B. Country: USA
- Affected OS versions:
Acer_A500_4.010.07_COM_GEN2
Acer_A500_4.010.08_COM_GEN2
Acer_A500_4.010.09_COM_GEN2
- After installing the update, you are advised to update your tablet’s operating system to:
Acer_A500_4.010.10_COM_GEN2
Acer_A500_4.010.11_COM_GEN2
Acer_A500_4.010.13_COM_GEN2 NEW

C. Countries: Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand/Philippines/India/Vietnam/
Indonesia/Australia/New Zealand
- Affected OS versions:
Acer_A500_4.010.12_COM_GEN1
Acer_A500_4.010.24_COM_GEN1
- After installing the update, you are advised update your tablet’s operating system to:
Acer_A500_4.010.40_COM_GEN1
Acer_A500_4.010.40_7.006.03_COM_GEN1 (3.2)

D. Countries: Taiwan/Hong Kong
- Affected OS version:
Acer_A500_4.010.23_COM_GEN1
Acer_A500_4.010.39_COM_GEN1
Acer_A500_4.010.41_COM_GEN1
Acer_A500_4.010.41_7.006.01_COM_GEN1

I'm trying to sort through them to perhaps find/explain some differences.... other than the wifi driver (different countries allow different channels).

The one thing I can tell you is that no matter which rom i've looked at, all of the roms have the following lines in build.prop..

ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US

That said, we can add LAZY to the description of ACER. The thing that makes this most murky is the fact the people like us are more inclined to find instant gratification. That is, we download the newest version of the rom (or so we think) rather than the newest regional version. If you look at the above listings and you are on one of the lower versions for any of the above regions, looking for the OTA on the tablet itself will lead you through the upgrade paths listed for each region.

Last edited:
K

kjy2010

In all honesty we should have a mod sticky a thread for this so all inbound noobs can see it and avoid some grief.
I agree! It's tough enough as it is helping ppl with the current naming process by Acer, or lack thereof!

Should, could, would, good luck!
;)

gammaRascal

Apr 21, 2011
SoCal
Of course the naming convention is only confusing if you're going off the rails with your tab - those of us who just leave them stock and install OTA's don't particularly care or pay attention to the update names.

Buy tablet > use tablet > get incremental > use tablet > get 3.1 > use tablet > get incremental > use tablet...

I'm waiting until the life cycle on this puppy nears its end before I do any ROM'ming. I'm a little paranoid that way but mostly I'm happy with vanilla. I also get confused by all the different steps - update, backup, clear this, clear that, install this, then update with that... I know, it can't be that complicated but I'm easily ditractac....

Oh look, a butterfly!

As I was saying, when you spread the peanut butter over the toast you could have added the honey first, thereby eliminating the danger or bread-breakage and...

K

kjy2010

Of course the naming convention is only confusing if you're going off the rails with your tab - those of us who just leave them stock and install OTA's don't particularly care or pay attention to the update names.

Buy tablet > use tablet > get incremental > use tablet > get 3.1 > use tablet > get incremental > use tablet...

I'm waiting until the life cycle on this puppy nears its end before I do any ROM'ming. I'm a little paranoid that way but mostly I'm happy with vanilla. I also get confused by all the different steps - update, backup, clear this, clear that, install this, then update with that... I know, it can't be that complicated but I'm easily ditractac....

Oh look, a butterfly!

As I was saying, when you spread the peanut butter over the toast you could have added the honey first, thereby eliminating the danger or bread-breakage and...

Yeah bro, you best stick to OTA, you don't want to get too confused, and overtax yourself lol :eek:

evangineer

Jan 27, 2011
Please tell me where to get the kernel module tun.ko 2.6.36.3Hoeyillian-3.4 +

I wouldn't try to get that as a standalone file unless you *really* know what you are doing, like an experienced linux sysadmin/developer. The simplest thing to do would be to just install the latest HoneyVillain kernel, currently at 3.6.

Last edited:

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
Frankly, I'd like to see something (preferably from Acer) about what each update actually provides us PRIOR to accepting the OTA. Heck, I can't even find that information when upgrading custom ROMs from like v3.2 to v3.2.1. I'm the type of person who always waited to see how much (for example) SP3 would break Windows XP before installing it myself.

markbnj

Advice for interested Newbies for updating

Oh look, a butterfly!

Pretty Butterflies.

Seriously, I took the same tact with you use stock...use stock..., however, I broke down about a month ago, after installing android 4.2 on my wife's HP Playbook (the dead Palm version...)
I got jealous, so used afterOTA to install a new recovery ROM, and root the tablet (also used blackthunder's ap500apx flashing tool), and between the two of them got jb (4.1.2 up and running very smoothly). Now that I installed the skrillex clockwork mod 9.x I now have a great recovery tool, and just installed
4,2.2 on my tablet, with less then 30 minutes to take care of it.

updating rules:
a) read the ENTIRE thread (use multiple tabs.
a1) use a new window for each new topic or sw you investigate.
a2) download all the sw to ONE folder so you can find it.
b) READ the ENTIRE thread (oh, did I say that already?... I mean REALLY read EVERY thread to the END!!
b1) open the first page. open the last page in a new tab, or work your way backwards. yes, 42 pages of updated discussion is difficult, but so is
repairing a bricked tablet.​

anyway that's my 25cents worth.

good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: ivibre

ivibre

Aug 26, 2011
Carson City
need to reinstall original os A500

It was during an update (and my forgetting pattern) when my A500 failed. I am also dizzy from all this and Acer isn't any help AT ALL. Just added insult to injury as far as I'm concerned. One has to jump hoops just to find a contact number or email.

So, vent over, does anyone have the original OS for the A500 that I can easily (with instructions) get my tablet up and going with again? I did learn that when using the paperclip method, one has to release the power switch and repress again. Just looking for some assistance yet once again. Thanks - if there were a pill for this, I'd take it.

Mar 22, 2015
ivibre said:

It was during an update (and my forgetting pattern) when my A500 failed. I am also dizzy from all this and Acer isn't any help AT ALL. Just added insult to injury as far as I'm concerned. One has to jump hoops just to find a contact number or email.

So, vent over, does anyone have the original OS for the A500 that I can easily (with instructions) get my tablet up and going with again? I did learn that when using the paperclip method, one has to release the power switch and repress again. Just looking for some assistance yet once again. Thanks - if there were a pill for this, I'd take it.

I'm having the same problem and really will do anything to get it working again. You can use timmy dean's rollback tool, if you can get the 7z open. Neither lubuntu nor Windows XP will open it. So far I flashed a V8 bootloader, but I can't use blackthunder's tool for some stupid reason, and when I contacted Acer (more like called them out on Facebook with a rant for thousands of people to see) they said they'd fix it under warranty conditions even though mine ran out.
They then proceeded to tell me when I went to double check that the case would be valid before I sent it to them, they said it expired and that I would have to pay $160 just to send it to them and not including parts. About a year before it stopped working, I sent it in to get the light board fixed (it was broken when I woke up one day) and I never opened the back of before. Three days ago I opened the back only to see that a cord was unplugged (promptly plugged it back in) and that multiple screws were missing. I nearly "contacted" them again, but decided to continue my search for a solution on here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here we go...This is from Acer's patch documents and best shows the current separate code trains...

A. Countries: UK/France/Italy/Spain
    - Affected OS versions:
    Acer_A500_4.010.22_COM_GEN1
    Acer_A500_4.010.30_COM_GEN1
    Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1
    Acer_A500_4.010.38_7.006.01_COM_GEN1 (3.2)

B. Country: USA
    - Affected OS versions:
    Acer_A500_4.010.07_COM_GEN2
    Acer_A500_4.010.08_COM_GEN2
    Acer_A500_4.010.09_COM_GEN2
    Acer_A500_4.010.10_COM_GEN2
    Acer_A500_4.010.11_COM_GEN2
    Acer_A500_4.010.13_COM_GEN2 NEW

C. Countries: Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand/Philippines/India/Vietnam/
    Indonesia/Australia/New Zealand
    - Affected OS versions:
    Acer_A500_4.010.12_COM_GEN1
    Acer_A500_4.010.24_COM_GEN1
    - After installing the update, you are advised update your tablet’s operating system to:
    Acer_A500_4.010.40_COM_GEN1
    Acer_A500_4.010.40_7.006.03_COM_GEN1 (3.2)

D. Countries: Taiwan/Hong Kong
    - Affected OS version:
    Acer_A500_4.010.23_COM_GEN1
    Acer_A500_4.010.39_COM_GEN1
    Acer_A500_4.010.41_COM_GEN1
    Acer_A500_4.010.41_7.006.01_COM_GEN1

I'm trying to sort through them to perhaps find/explain some differences.... other than the wifi driver (different countries allow different channels).

The one thing I can tell you is that no matter which rom i've looked at, all of the roms have the following lines in build.prop..

ro.product.locale.language=en
    ro.product.locale.region=US

That said, we can add LAZY to the description of ACER. The thing that makes this most murky is the fact the people like us are more inclined to find instant gratification. That is, we download the newest version of the rom (or so we think) rather than the newest regional version. If you look at the above listings and you are on one of the lower versions for any of the above regions, looking for the OTA on the tablet itself will lead you through the upgrade paths listed for each region.
    And then we have

Advice for interested Newbies for updating

Oh look, a butterfly!

Pretty Butterflies.

Seriously, I took the same tact with you use stock...use stock..., however, I broke down about a month ago, after installing android 4.2 on my wife's HP Playbook (the dead Palm version...)
    I got jealous, so used afterOTA to install a new recovery ROM, and root the tablet (also used blackthunder's ap500apx flashing tool), and between the two of them got jb (4.1.2 up and running very smoothly). Now that I installed the skrillex clockwork mod 9.x I now have a great recovery tool, and just installed
    4,2.2 on my tablet, with less then 30 minutes to take care of it.

updating rules:
    a) read the ENTIRE thread (use multiple tabs.
    a1) use a new window for each new topic or sw you investigate.
    a2) download all the sw to ONE folder so you can find it.
    b) READ the ENTIRE thread (oh, did I say that already?... I mean REALLY read EVERY thread to the END!!
    b1) open the first page. open the last page in a new tab, or work your way backwards. yes, 42 pages of updated discussion is difficult, but so is
    repairing a bricked tablet.​

anyway that's my 25cents worth.

good luck