Best "light" reliable ROM for the NOOK HD+?

Search This thread

Mitsuya Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Yokohama / Hong Kong / Toronto
Alright so I know there are many many topics on custom roms for the Nook HD+.

Some of the instructions for installing the rom seems so complicated. Is there any step by step guides to follow or youtube videos on how to install it on to the Nook HD+?

Thanks in advance!!!

dagem

Jul 19, 2013
#1 - REGISTER your Nook with B&N, BEFORE you remove the old software. :)

Well, there's this "Dummies" guide for EMMC that will COMPLETELY remove the Stock B&N software, then there's the "Hybrid/SD Card" method , that will keep the B&N stock and add a dual boot option with CM 10.1.

CyanogenMod 10.1 is based on Gogle's Jelly Bean OS for mobile devices, modified to run on a number of devices, including our Nook HD/HD+.

I'm using the Nightly CM 10.1, and it runs better than the stock software, there are other ROM available, but I've never tried them so I can't offer any opinion on them.

Following the Dummies guide by e.mote, is simple and straight forward, read the instructions, then read them again, download the required tools and software and you'll be running CM10.1 in a few minutes.

Good Luck, and enjoy your improved tablet!

Reactions: snoozer854

dagem

Jul 19, 2013
Which ovation emmc do I download there are so many?!

And also which NookHDplus-bootable-CWM?

I am so confused, there are so many to download I am not even sure I even have the right files or not.

The "Dummies Guide" thread has a step by step guide with the files listed, and the tools needed to use them. You will almost always want the latest files, except for the ones labeled "Experimental" - those are often for the people who WANT to test and understand they MIGHT cause crashes and have major bugs.

e.mote did an awesome job of organizing the steps and files needed, I would not be able to provide and better or easier guide.

The file names are above the links, look for the files of the same name.

EMMC - NIGHTLY is 20130812, these are built every night, hence the name. I'm using the first official nightly without any problems - 20130809.

CWM - NookHDplus-bootable-CWM-6028-for-stock-4GB-rev4-(05.15.13).zip - is the file you want.

Hope this helps a little.

Reactions: snoozer854

wktra

Nov 20, 2011
I use Carbon (b11). the only rom I installed. Works like a charm. No problems.

Is the emmc faster than sd?

Well, there's this "Dummies" guide for EMMC that will COMPLETELY remove the Stock B&N software, then there's the "Hybrid/SD Card" method , that will keep the B&N stock and add a dual boot option with CM 10.1.

CyanogenMod 10.1 is based on Gogle's Jelly Bean OS for mobile devices, modified to run on a number of devices, including our Nook HD/HD+.

I'm using the Nightly CM 10.1, and it runs better than the stock software, there are other ROM available, but I've never tried them so I can't offer any opinion on them.

Following the Dummies guide by e.mote, is simple and straight forward, read the instructions, then read them again, download the required tools and software and you'll be running CM10.1 in a few minutes.

Is installing CM10.1 on the emmc faster than sd?
I have an sd bootable cm10.1 is use now and it lags about the speed of a 2010 phone.

I also haven't updated since may, but its just so slow that nobody in my family can bear its "laggyness"

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I have an sd bootable cm10.1 is use now and it lags about the speed of a 2010 phone.

I also haven't updated since may, but its just so slow that nobody in my family can bear its "laggyness"
Depends on the SD you are using. It can be faster. And that ROM is old so a newer one could be faster.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.

dagem

Jul 19, 2013

I've only used the EMMC method, it seemed to be the easiest way, since I didn't care for the B&N software. I can't tell much (if any) of a speed difference from 20130711 Unofficial, to the 20130809 Nightly I'm using now, but I doubt there have been THAT many changes that would boost or slow speed in that time frame.

I've also NEVER felt like it was lagging or slow, but this is my first tablet and I didn't expect it to run like my Asus Intel I5 laptop, it does boot much faster however. :)

dagem

Jul 19, 2013
I'm using a SanDisk class4 16gb with not to many apps installed. Does everybody's hd+ running CM emmc work like it was a nexus 7?
This lag just makes turning on a computer faster to browse with

Sent from my SIII using xda app-developers app

I don't surf much on my Nook the 1920x1200 @ 9" is too tough on my eyes and I've got a ssd in my desktop so it boots fast enough to look something up quick.

It will however stream a 1080 HD movie from my PC without stuttering, I watched Lucky Number Sleven the other day without a glitch. It plays PVZ, Cut the Rope (too many to count), Angry Birds (too many to count), etc, etc.. for me it's a movie player with light gaming machine. I can surf Reddit with Reddit News Free without lag, so it's also a "toilet reader" kinda thing too.

Maybe my expectations were lower since it was my first tablet, and I only watch movies and play light games. that it feel so nice. I really didn't expect to be blown away by it's abilities, and was more than pleasantly surprised. I'm actually thinking of grabbing a second one since my wife and/or daughter always seems to be on it.

ctaranto

Aug 11, 2010
I'm using a SanDisk class4 16gb with not to many apps installed. Does everybody's hd+ running CM emmc work like it was a nexus 7?
This lag just makes turning on a computer faster to browse with

I don't have a Nexus 7 to compare against, but my wife has a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (rooted, running JB from December 2012). The Nook HD+ running CM10.1 (verygreen's build from late July on EMMC) is a better experience. I use her tablet occasionally, and things just aren't as snappy. Plus it doesn't have a micro-sd card to expand storage.

The HD+ has noticeable higher resolution and loads apps faster. Also, for some reason, the RedFin (real estate) app on her Tab will come to a halt after about 15 minutes of use (pictures stop loading, gets the spinning circle). Need to kill the app and restart. On the HD+, it appears to run indefinitely.

I never ran a CM10.1 build on the sd card so I can't comment of the difference in performance.

Hope this helps...

sibot

Jan 5, 2009
I'm a newbie to the rooting community. Since CM officially started supporting HD+ and has been releasing "nightly" versions, which, as someone earlier stated are literally nightly releases, does it mean the current 2013-08-14 release is not the final one and we can expect more in the coming days?

Also, do the new releases mean more stablitity or fixed glitches? If so, by when can we expect a stable and reliable ROM from CM?

bostonhamster

Feb 26, 2011
tweeked xperia rom for nook hd+

I have just changed from cm11 to the tweeked xperia Carbon rom . What a difference no fc apps it is extremely smooth and a pleasure to use. Highly recommended.;):D

bobbytomorow

Jun 18, 2010
West Coast
I use cm11 nightly and just manually strip the heck out of it using an app remover as well as change some folder permissions to disable any logging

I'm a newbie to the rooting community. Since CM officially started supporting HD+ and has been releasing "nightly" versions, which, as someone earlier stated are literally nightly releases, does it mean the current 2013-08-14 release is not the final one and we can expect more in the coming days?

Also, do the new releases mean more stablitity or fixed glitches? If so, by when can we expect a stable and reliable ROM from CM?

This is a quote from a cm forum admin, he explains by tter than I ever could,

"Stable is after all the features desired by the CM devs have been put in and the code has been tested. Snapshots (M builds) are builds done roughly once a month that has had some testing to make sure things are mostly working and released to the public. These are the first builds that allow official bug reports on the project manager site, https://jira.cyanogenmod.org. Nightlies are automated builds that are built, well, every night. There is no human interaction with these and they are largely there just to see if the code added throughout the day will compile. As far as the devs are concerned, there are no bad builds with the nightlies, because if it doesn't build, that is news to let them know that something is screwed up in the code. They don't accept any bug reports on these builds.

Generally, the nightly builds, while extremely experimental and considered bleeding-edge, tend to be relatively stable and mostly bug-free. Many people use the nightlies as their so-called daily-driver, meaning that any bugs that they may have aren't so severe that they want to switch to a different version. For my Nexus 4, as soon as I got it I switched to a nightly build and haven't had any bugs pop up.

Also, all builds are full builds, so if you switch to a nightly, you aren't required to flash every single nightly. You can do it as you see fit. I've been known sometimes to flash a build every day, but then I've gone a month in between updating. Just grab the latest version you want to flash and flash that one. "

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Which ovation emmc do I download there are so many?!

And also which NookHDplus-bootable-CWM?

I am so confused, there are so many to download I am not even sure I even have the right files or not.

The "Dummies Guide" thread has a step by step guide with the files listed, and the tools needed to use them. You will almost always want the latest files, except for the ones labeled "Experimental" - those are often for the people who WANT to test and understand they MIGHT cause crashes and have major bugs.

e.mote did an awesome job of organizing the steps and files needed, I would not be able to provide and better or easier guide.

The file names are above the links, look for the files of the same name.

EMMC - NIGHTLY is 20130812, these are built every night, hence the name. I'm using the first official nightly without any problems - 20130809.

CWM - NookHDplus-bootable-CWM-6028-for-stock-4GB-rev4-(05.15.13).zip - is the file you want.

Hope this helps a little.