[Q]Sudden huge battery drop after a reboot

Search This thread

banjara

Mar 31, 2014
Bangalore
I find there is a huge battery drop (ex from 50% to 10-12%) when I reboot my phone. It even gives a low battery notification and all. With time the % status increases and stabilizes around 40%. It happens irrespective of the Roms.
A search on xda resulted in multiple threads with 2 outcomes -
1. Faulty battery - which can't be the case as sometimes it even gives me 2 days of backup.
2. It's a known issue

Could not get anything concrete on searched threads and hence this post.

Now my queries are below -
1. If it's a known issue, does everyone else face it?
2. What can I do from my end to avoid it? Except, of course, changing the battery.

Hopper8

Sep 17, 2012
I find there is a huge battery drop (ex from 50% to 10-12%) when I reboot my phone. It even gives a low battery notification and all. With time the % status increases and stabilizes around 40%. It happens irrespective of the Roms.
1. Faulty battery - which can't be the case as sometimes it even gives me 2 days of backup.
2. It's a known issue

2. What can I do from my end to avoid it? Except, of course, changing the battery.

It only seems to happen to me when I have to force reboot by long pressing power button (say if I get a rare complete freeze). If I reboot normally I don't get the issue. However, I've seen members post that if you reboot to recovery, and then boot from recovery that you won't get the drop.

That being said, remember that it's only the reported value that is wrong. Your battery voltage is (relatively) unchanged before and after the reboot. In other words, rebooting doesn't eat 40% of the available voltage, the available voltage is being incorrectly reported.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away

Reactions: banjara

banjara

Mar 31, 2014
Bangalore
It only seems to happen to me when I have to force reboot by long pressing power button (say if I get a rare complete freeze). If I reboot normally I don't get the issue. However, I've seen members post that if you reboot to recovery, and then boot from recovery that you won't get the drop.

That being said, remember that it's only the reported value that is wrong. Your battery voltage is (relatively) unchanged before and after the reboot. In other words, rebooting doesn't eat 40% of the available voltage, the available voltage is being incorrectly reported.

So its the reporting from the hardware to software which is incorrect. Is there anything which we should/shouldnt do to avoid this discrepancy? asking because I remember I never got it for almost 2 years, it started almost since 2-3 months only.

Will a fuel-gauge reset work here? have seen it in stweaks.

Hopper8

Sep 17, 2012
So its the reporting from the hardware to software which is incorrect. Is there anything which we should/shouldnt do to avoid this discrepancy? asking because I remember I never got it for almost 2 years, it started almost since 2-3 months only.

That's the logical conclusion I've come to, yes. Like I said, to avoid it, you can reboot to recovery and then boot from there. Personally, I ignore it. It goes away if you charge back to 100%, and battery voltage is unchanged as I said. It almost seems random to me, it used to happen a lot to me. Now I haven't had it for about 5-6 months I'd say. And I don't know what's different, nothing that I can put a finger on anyway.

I'm not sure, I've never used reset fuel gauge. If I remember correctly, that will end up in even more screwy battery values once you press it until the next charge (I could be wrong). But search for a proper explanation of what it does, and maybe give it a try. Post up here if you find out anything from your experiments :)

vishal11in

Jan 1, 2012
I slightly disagree to what the member advised/concluded. To my experience this drop happens when you battery is about to die or needs replacement. Get a new battery and no drop will happen.
It would not drop if you hootboot it, the reason behind this is that it does not completely shuts down your phone hence cpu does not work heavly like it does on reboot.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

banjara

Mar 31, 2014
Bangalore
That's the logical conclusion I've come to, yes. Like I said, to avoid it, you can reboot to recovery and then boot from there. Personally, I ignore it. It goes away if you charge back to 100%, and battery voltage is unchanged as I said. It almost seems random to me, it used to happen a lot to me. Now I haven't had it for about 5-6 months I'd say. And I don't know what's different, nothing that I can put a finger on anyway.

I'm not sure, I've never used reset fuel gauge. If I remember correctly, that will end up in even more screwy battery values once you press it until the next charge (I could be wrong). But search for a proper explanation of what it does, and maybe give it a try. Post up here if you find out anything from your experiments :)

I had tried that twice in past when I was on Dorimanx kernel which screwed up the battery stats for a charge. It came back to displaying normal battery status after a while. Though I did not notice anything specifically good/bad on that matter.
Now it brings me to another doubt.. did i make the matters worse by resetting fuel gauge?

I slightly disagree to what the member advised/concluded. To my experience this drop happens when you battery is about to die or needs replacement. Get a new battery and no drop will happen.
It would not drop if you hootboot it, the reason behind this is that it does not completely shuts down your phone hence cpu does not work heavly like it does on reboot.

Cant agree with you on a dying battery concept, mate. I am getting such awesome battery life(depending on ROMs) (sometimes 2 days) that I do not think its something related to age of the battery. Its 2.5 years old but still going good, no heating, no sudden deaths.

Reactions: vishal11in

vishal11in

Jan 1, 2012
I had tried that twice in past when I was on Dorimanx kernel which screwed up the battery stats for a charge. It came back to displaying normal battery status after a while. Though I did not notice anything specifically good/bad on that matter.
Now it brings me to another doubt.. did i make the matters worse by resetting fuel gauge?

Cant agree with you on a dying battery concept, mate. I am getting such awesome battery life(depending on ROMs) (sometimes 2 days) that I do not think its something related to age of the battery. Its 2.5 years old but still going good, no heating, no sudden deaths.

I think your lucky with the aged battery i would say. Yes, rom plays a big rom here but then i have also noticed if your rom has lot of boot services to start then your cpu will be much active which puts load on battery for power and if battery is weak it will not be able to execute the requored power.

This problem is more with sammu phones

banjara

Mar 31, 2014
Bangalore
The battery is 2.5 yrs old ?!

This is absolutely the cause of the problem you're seeing (beyond the misreporting stupidity suffered by all Samsung phones already discussed). Replace it.

Replace it just because it misses on reporting correct charge info on reboot? Don't you think it will be a little harsh on current battery? :p
Jokes apart, it has to give me more signs of aged battery like atleast low backup to start with.

I think your lucky with the aged battery i would say. Yes, rom plays a big rom here but then i have also noticed if your rom has lot of boot services to start then your cpu will be much active which puts load on battery for power and if battery is weak it will not be able to execute the requored power.

Yeah. Maybe lucky. Not on Sammy roms Btw. Beanstalk, AOSB and cyanfox have given me very good battery life.

vishal11in

Jan 1, 2012
Replace it just because it misses on reporting correct charge info on reboot? Don't you think it will be a little harsh on current battery? :p
Jokes apart, it has to give me more signs of aged battery like atleast low backup to start with.

Yeah. Maybe lucky. Not on Sammy roms Btw. Beanstalk, AOSB and cyanfox have given me very good battery life.

Ya as i mentioned all sammy roms are full of junkies which custom rom keep away. As a result it demands less power on boot and keep users happy

Hopper8

Sep 17, 2012
Nope, as MistahBungle said already, apart from the the 'usual' Sammy battery reporting issues, a 2.5 year battery is the root cause of your problems.

And I don't agree that the reboot is actually using 40% battery to complete (or that a custom rom with its fewer processes will alleviate this). As I said, the voltage is being reported wrongly. However, you won't see the situation improve without buying a new battery. I suggest you buy a genuine Samsung replacement off eBay or similar, IMO there's no point stuffing around with fakes which aren't their claimed capacity.

banjara

Mar 31, 2014
Bangalore
A small attempt to buy an original battery lead me to the extended 2000 mAh battery link (EB-K1A2EBEGSTD) which I am not finding anywhere in India.
Has anyone bought it recently? or Does anyone has any information about where can I get in India?

Hopper8

Sep 17, 2012
I own one but I've had it for about 18 months. It is really good, but as I don't live in India I can't give you any tips for buying one sorry. I got mine off eBay.

mosespl

Mar 19, 2012
Wrocław
Good solution is to install dori and in stweaks click on swith "reset fuel gauhe chip" droping battery after reboot is popular on s2

Wysłane z mojego D5503 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nope, as MistahBungle said already, apart from the the 'usual' Sammy battery reporting issues, a 2.5 year battery is the root cause of your problems.

And I don't agree that the reboot is actually using 40% battery to complete (or that a custom rom with its fewer processes will alleviate this). As I said, the voltage is being reported wrongly. However, you won't see the situation improve without buying a new battery. I suggest you buy a genuine Samsung replacement off eBay or similar, IMO there's no point stuffing around with fakes which aren't their claimed capacity.

2. It's a known issue