[ROM][ROOT] Official Rogers SGH-I727R ICS 4.0.4 is Out + working Root method

Search This thread

wilczy

Oct 5, 2007
Yes, everyone knows by now :)

ICS for Rogers Skyrocket is available through Kies as an Update as of this morning!!!
Also ROOT works too!!!

Sorry guys for my writing style, hope this is the right place to post it.
Just wanted to pass some news and tips so you know 100% what works and what doesn't.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
ROM UPDATE
Make sure your Kies is up to date and you have all Samsung Drivers correctly installed. If you update drivers and/or Kies software REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER.

It did not work for me when I was on another ISC leak ROM (ICS->ICS no no, GB->ICS yes! makes sense)
So went back and first flashed Rogers Radio/Modem (Radio_I727RUXKJ7.zip) and then ODIN Stock ROM (SGH-I727R-UCKJ2-k0nane.tar)
Thanks k0nane!

After doing that, Update through Kies went with no issues.
(it takes about 15 min so make sure your battery is fully charged and depending on your Internet connection it may be longer or faster)

Some screensots from Kies are attached below.
Pay attention to the messages, especially for the last NOTICE after update shows 100%.
The phone WILL REBOOT ON ITS OWN AFTER COUPLE MINUTES.
DO NOT PULL THE CABLE OUT!!!

ROOT
It works.

Just follow instructions from starskyrob in THIS Guide
Thanks starskyrob!

It actually ONLY works with this version (Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip)

I know that because, of course I got too lazy and used SGSII Toolkit to do dirty work but it only ODINed proper CWM for me and then superuser.zip it tries to flash is 3.0.5 so this version does not work.
Just use Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip and everything will be fine.

Hope it helps some of you.
We waited waaaaay too long for this!!!

Attachments

• Kies_Rogers727R_ICS_1.JPG
    Kies_Rogers727R_ICS_1.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 2,131
  • Kies_Rogers727R_ICS_2.JPG
    Kies_Rogers727R_ICS_2.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,773
  • Kies_Rogers727R_ICS_3.JPG
    Kies_Rogers727R_ICS_3.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,638
  • Rogers727R_ICS_4.JPG
    Rogers727R_ICS_4.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 1,550

pixelens

Nov 11, 2010
Edmonton
Except you tripped your flash counter if you used k0nane's "stock" tar. You're better off using the stock tar from the Sammobile website. I can confirm first hand that k0nane's trips the counter, the stock tar from Sammobile does NOT.

Reactions: Mike

badpanda

Dec 29, 2011
NYC/Stamford
Except you tripped your flash counter if you used k0nane's "stock" tar. You're better off using the stock tar from the Sammobile website. I can confirm first hand that k0nane's trips the counter, the stock tar from Sammobile does NOT.

Correct sir! K0nane's trip counter every single time... Always use the sammobile tar. Just register and look for your device in my case "i727" downloading official tar does not trip counter, I really don't know why K0nane has not updated it yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

Reactions: isimeon

wilczy

Oct 5, 2007
Correct sir! K0nane's trip counter every single time... Always use the sammobile tar. Just register and look for your device in my case "i727" downloading official tar does not trip counter, I really don't know why K0nane has not updated it yet.

Thanks guys, I had no idea the one from Samobile is better. Must check that out next time.
Honestly, it does not even matter to me because there is counter reset zip so it clears that easily and if phone ever breaks it will justify getting S3 LOL

Reactions: sebo1084

pixelens

Nov 11, 2010
Edmonton
Thanks guys, I had no idea the one from Samobile is better. Must check that out next time.
Honestly, it does not even matter to me because there is counter reset zip so it clears that easily and if phone ever breaks it will justify getting S3 LOL

Yeah, not as huge a deal now - but when I was doing it there was no counter reset.

As well, the two files are different in size, I can't recall which is larger though so something's not jiving.

unibombz

Nov 11, 2011
not going to the stock official, going to wait for some devs to cook up some nice roms and kernels and flash the new stuff via CWM.

hope 4.0.4 stock is working well for all though. Good to see it is finally here with the new modem file !

mahanddeem

Nov 13, 2011
What would happen if an att i727 is flashed with an odin tar of rogers ICS ? I heard that modem works fine on att i727

vincom

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
not going to the stock official, going to wait for some devs to cook up some nice roms and kernels and flash the new stuff via CWM.

hope 4.0.4 stock is working well for all though. Good to see it is finally here with the new modem file !
i did flash rogers ics, too boring so went back to skyics to wait for new rom development

Reactions: kilin81

intenseone

Apr 25, 2012
Scarborough

you know you can reset counter. i totally forgot that u have to wipe data and cache and i odined my tar 5 times use the reset cwm zip and bam offical and zero count again

heere is the thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1575712

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

boring rom tho nothing exciting back to cm9 or skyics

pixelens

Nov 11, 2010
Edmonton
you know you can reset counter. i totally forgot that u have to wipe data and cache and i odined my tar 5 times use the reset cwm zip and bam offical and zero count again

heere is the thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1575712

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

boring rom tho nothing exciting back to cm9 or skyics

As mentioned previously, yes you can reset the counter. As also mentioned, I noticed there's a size difference between the two so added to the fact that k0nane's "stock" tar trips the counter and is a different size than the Sammobile one, I'd be inclined to use the Sammobile one. Also, why add extra steps like having to clear the flash counter? Might be worthwhile adding a note about that in the OP for those that don't read the whole thread and are unaware of the flash counter tripping situation.

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now
WiFi problems after rooting official Rogers ICS 4.0.4

Hey everyone,
I just updated from stock Rogers GB to the official ICS - no problems there; however right after I rooted it using the file/method suggested above (again, without any issues), I started having issues with WiFi - it seems to be random but say, about 4/5 times, the WiFi would fail to connect after the phone gets restarted - although the WiFi service is running (the WiFi button is green). Sometimes there is also a system flash showing the message "?WiFi available" with a question mark before the message. If I manually stop/restart the WiFi, it eventually recognizes the hotspot and it connects. I have the Superuser & Busybox Pro PROPERLY installed, furthermore, no other program that requires root permissions seems to be having any problems whatsoever (Titanium Backup, Rom Manager, Superuser, Tasker, CallRecorder, etc).
Although I didn't spent much time playing around BEFORE applying the root, it seems obvious to me that this only occurs after rooting - personally I suspect that ICS 4.0.4 doesn't go along very well with this rooting method (mismatching binaries). I am also aware about a known bug in ICS 4.0.4, causing the WiFi to frequently drop - could it be one and the same?

FYI: I tried installing/reinstalling ICS several times: initially I have updated through Kies, than I flashed the ROM from Sammobile through Odin, and then another couple of time I just reformatted the system in CWM and reinstalled everything again.. At first I used some backups from TB (no system files, only 3rd party), but then, suspecting that backups made in GB might conflict with ICS structure, I didn't use any backups at all - just fresh installations - no difference, same problem.

UPDATE: I have flashed & done some tests with SKY-ICS by seanzscreams. Unfortunately, since it's based on the same Rogers' ROM, it comes with the same problem. I guess this only confirms my observation.

Anybody else having this issue?

Last edited:

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now
Super user 3.0.7 does not flash in recovery, gives an error

It works with this Recovery
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1566613

Well, actually it DOES work while YES, it does give an error - all you have to do is ignore the error and keep trying; the 3rd or the 4th attempt shall be successful and it'll confirm the process successfully completed.

HOWEVER

Super User 3.0.7 and CWM are two completely different things. The Super User 3.0.7 combined with the binaries (as it comes zipped) is intended to root the phone, while the CWM is a set of tools - having nothing to do with rooting.

My concern is that even the developer of the package Super User 3.0.7.zip admits that the binaries were intended for all Android versions up to 4.0.3 - while, like many others, I was hoping to also work with 4.0.4 - which it does...but it doesn't.

A direct reference can be found here.

Last edited:

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
Has anyone heard whether or not Chainfire, as come up with a non Odin one click, with CWM Touch & root?
I get the feeling that can do all this in his sleep! :p

Sent from, The Eclectic Chair.

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
Ok, I've got a couple of probably very dumb questions. So sorry!
I updated my phone to the rogers ICS using kies. Everything is great, but I no longer have Root.
In reading Copperheads instructions this is what I don't get.
I already have
The the superuser zip on my external sd card, as well as Rom Manager, CWM Recovery and titanium etc. They're all present in my app drawer & as short cuts on the phone. What is missing is the root access, why is the message I get when trying to open any of them Is there no way to flash what's already on my phone? Or do I basically have to start from scratch with Odin :eek: So I apologize again for the question, it's just hard for me to figure out why, if everything is actually on the phone now?

Sent from, The Eclectic Chair.

Jasonliw93

Nov 1, 2011
Toronto
quick question

Okay so quick question,
If it's better to use the stock odin tar from sammobile to flash back to stock.
Would it be better to flash the I727RUXLF3(ICS) from sammobile right away or go back to stock gingerbread and upgrade through kies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, everyone knows by now :)

ICS for Rogers Skyrocket is available through Kies as an Update as of this morning!!!
    Also ROOT works too!!!

Sorry guys for my writing style, hope this is the right place to post it.
    Just wanted to pass some news and tips so you know 100% what works and what doesn't.

ROM UPDATE
    Make sure your Kies is up to date and you have all Samsung Drivers correctly installed. If you update drivers and/or Kies software REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER.

It did not work for me when I was on another ISC leak ROM (ICS->ICS no no, GB->ICS yes! makes sense)
    So went back and first flashed Rogers Radio/Modem (Radio_I727RUXKJ7.zip) and then ODIN Stock ROM (SGH-I727R-UCKJ2-k0nane.tar)
    Thanks k0nane!

After doing that, Update through Kies went with no issues.
    (it takes about 15 min so make sure your battery is fully charged and depending on your Internet connection it may be longer or faster)

Some screensots from Kies are attached below.
    Pay attention to the messages, especially for the last NOTICE after update shows 100%.
    The phone WILL REBOOT ON ITS OWN AFTER COUPLE MINUTES.
    DO NOT PULL THE CABLE OUT!!!

ROOT
    It works.

Just follow instructions from starskyrob in THIS Guide
    Thanks starskyrob!

It actually ONLY works with this version (Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip)

I know that because, of course I got too lazy and used SGSII Toolkit to do dirty work but it only ODINed proper CWM for me and then superuser.zip it tries to flash is 3.0.5 so this version does not work.
    Just use Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip and everything will be fine.

Hope it helps some of you.
    We waited waaaaay too long for this!!!

i did flash rogers ics, too boring so went back to skyics to wait for new rom development