[HowTo][Video] Creating Android Themes (4th Video up .9s)

Search This thread

fxn

May 26, 2009
www.fxndev.com
Android Themes Basics 4:
Finally got round to making the requested .9s video:

-Retrieving and backing up the original framework-res.apk
-Using the Draw9Patcher tool to create the required guides
-Using eclipse to apply the guides to the image
-Pushing the file back to your phone

I hope the video is helpful, I know a lot of people do not like .9 files at all ;)

Android Themes Basics 3:
Back after a long break. Easy one to get going again: Changing system font.

-Backing up original fonts from your phone
-Replacing with new ones

Sorry been lazy recently =o)

Android Themes Basics 2:
Second Part of the video series is now finished =o). The topic this time is changing the status bar:

- Pulling necessary files from phone
- Extracting files required
- Editing the status_bar.xml file and classes.dex file to change status bar colours
- Repackaging the dex file
- Pushing modified files back to the phone

The video is split to 2 parts unfortunately due to Youtube having a 10 minute limit and I didn't want to cut anything out to keep it simple.

Android Themes Basics 1:
Just finished my first video tutorial for creating android themes. The topic of the first video is changing basic images so covers:

- Pulling files from the phone
- Extracting images from APK
- Placing edited images back to the APK
- Pushing the file back to phone.

I know this is very basic and most of you know perfectly how to do this but I thought I would start from the very basics :D

Let me know what you think and any areas you would like me to cover in future videos, Ideally I would like to create a series of videos that new people can work through to create full themes.

Videos:
Android Themes Basics 1: Changing Images
Android Themes Basics 2: Changing Statusbar (1/2)
Android Themes Basics 2: Changing Statusbar (2/2)
Android Themes Basics 3: Changing System Font
Android Themes Basics 4: Changing Buttons (The .9s video)

Upcoming:
- Changing the battery display

.FxN

Last edited:

T3hFurious1

Aug 31, 2009
Just yesterday I was hoping someone would do something like this. Thank you. Much easier than I thought it would be.

cybapaddy

Mar 6, 2009
Rotterdam
Do you know how to create an update file with the Mac?
Now I use windows to create an update file ... is there a signing script available for the Mac?

fxn

May 26, 2009
www.fxndev.com
T3hFurious1, maybe it was your post I saw yesterday that gave me the idea then, it was on this forum someone mentioned would be nice =o)

MurderDeathKill & smackiesfunkies, added the .9s video to the upcoming, I'll start scripting it out soon for you guys.

cybapaddy, absolutely no idea as I wouldnt touch Mac with a veeeeeeeeeery long stick, only reason the video is in windows is cause I thought it would be more helpful to majority than the linux version :D

.FxN

smackiesfunkies

Mar 7, 2009
awesome man
these videos are a big help
i was wondering tho if you could add voice walkthrough as you are goin through it?
just a preference and a lil bit easier to follow along as youre doing it :]
if not its still very helpful

fxn

May 26, 2009
www.fxndev.com
I was thinking of that but couple of reasons why I decided to go without tho, mainly I do these whilst I'm at work tho :D

I'll see what ill do for future lessons, although I do think the first 2 should be clear enough without audio, even tho the 2nd video gets bit tricky at times.

.FxN

smackiesfunkies

Mar 7, 2009
I was thinking of that but couple of reasons why I decided to go without tho, mainly I do these whilst I'm at work tho :D

I'll see what ill do for future lessons, although I do think the first 2 should be clear enough without audio, even tho the 2nd video gets bit tricky at times.

.FxN

ohhhhh lol got it
yeah the first two are easy enough to follow
good job with em

fxn

May 26, 2009
www.fxndev.com
t3hfurious1, if you have a look at the 2nd part of 2nd video it pushes the framework-res.apk to the phone, is that what you meant?

FormelLMS

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2009
Hi,
big thanks for the Videos.

Now I have one problem:
The Text is white and quite good. But the clock isn't white. It's still black.
Could you please help me and say where my problem is?

MFK DGAF

Nov 9, 2009
could you do a video on how to do these changes if you wish to upload a zip to the public. also if you pull the apk from your phone does it physically take it out of your phone till you put it back in? Because what i'm thinking is that instead of pulling every .apk why not just download a stock 1.6 rom and use the files from there. i just dont know how to sign it/make the zip so that i can flash it on my phone.

fxn

May 26, 2009
www.fxndev.com
Formel-LMS, There are two files to change, one of them will change text and the other changes the clock If I remember correctly, both files we're covered on the video however but it could be that some things have changed...I wouldn't know haven't done any of this stuff for months :(

MFK DGAF, No doing a pull on an APK doesn't remove it from your phone just takes a copy of it, the reason I pull the files from my own phone before making changes is because I use a custom rom and it could well be that the person cooking the rom (Cyanogen/JAC) have made a modification to that file or other files which would make the stock file incompatible with rest of the rom.

Toying with the idea of making another video, feeling lazy as hell though so dunno if that'll happen

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android Themes Basics 4:
    Finally got round to making the requested .9s video:

-Retrieving and backing up the original framework-res.apk
    -Using the Draw9Patcher tool to create the required guides
    -Using eclipse to apply the guides to the image
    -Pushing the file back to your phone

I hope the video is helpful, I know a lot of people do not like .9 files at all ;)

Android Themes Basics 3:
    Back after a long break. Easy one to get going again: Changing system font.

-Backing up original fonts from your phone
    -Replacing with new ones

Sorry been lazy recently =o)

Android Themes Basics 2:
    Second Part of the video series is now finished =o). The topic this time is changing the status bar:

- Pulling necessary files from phone
    - Extracting files required
    - Editing the status_bar.xml file and classes.dex file to change status bar colours
    - Repackaging the dex file
    - Pushing modified files back to the phone

The video is split to 2 parts unfortunately due to Youtube having a 10 minute limit and I didn't want to cut anything out to keep it simple.

Android Themes Basics 1:
    Just finished my first video tutorial for creating android themes. The topic of the first video is changing basic images so covers:

- Pulling files from the phone
    - Extracting images from APK
    - Placing edited images back to the APK
    - Pushing the file back to phone.

I know this is very basic and most of you know perfectly how to do this but I thought I would start from the very basics :D

Let me know what you think and any areas you would like me to cover in future videos, Ideally I would like to create a series of videos that new people can work through to create full themes.

Videos:
    Android Themes Basics 1: Changing Images
    Android Themes Basics 2: Changing Statusbar (1/2)
    Android Themes Basics 2: Changing Statusbar (2/2)
    Android Themes Basics 3: Changing System Font
    Android Themes Basics 4: Changing Buttons (The .9s video)

Upcoming:
    - Changing the battery display

.FxN