[Q] Replace Stock Gallery App with Quickpic?

Search This thread

I am a Baka

Jan 13, 2014
I really dislike the default Samsung gallery app and I'm wondering if there's a way to specifically make it so Quickpic can be accessed through the stock camera app by pressing the preview button in the top left corner. Freezing/disabling the Gallery app does NOT prompt you to select a default gallery app when pressing the preview button.

Instead, it prompts this message:

(Because I can't post links to external images, see the first attachment.)

I should probably add that there are no permissions for gallery to open as the default gallery, so that's not the issue. (Quickpic is set as the default).

(Because I can't post links to external images, see the second attachment.)

Is there any possible way to get the stock camera app to use Quickpic as the default gallery? I'm rooted with no custom ROMs, just default TouchWiz.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• disabledapp.jpg
    disabledapp.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 652
  • nodefaults.jpg
    nodefaults.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 612

gene.pavlovsky

Nov 29, 2012
I'm not posting this for the sake of OP, I'm posting it for anybody who asks the same question, gets directed to this topic by google, and gets disappointed by the NO answer - while in reality the answer is YES it's possible.
And by the way I've had the same question several years ago, when I had a Samsung Galaxy S, then again more than a year ago, when I got an S3. Didn't hear about Xposed then, so I just accepted "it's not possible" as an answer. So even a year later, the answer is still relevant and might be useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: mess18 and umair239

umair239

May 14, 2008
I'm not posting this for the sake of OP, I'm posting it for anybody who asks the same question, gets directed to this topic by google, and gets disappointed by the NO answer - while in reality the answer is YES it's possible.
And by the way I've had the same question several years ago, when I had a Samsung Galaxy S, then again more than a year ago, when I got an S3. Didn't hear about Xposed then, so I just accepted "it's not possible" as an answer. So even a year later, the answer is still relevant and might be useful.

Thanks buddy, I needed that ?

gene.pavlovsky

Nov 29, 2012
And how exactly to use it after installation? The module has no user interface. How get I get Quickpic into action?
Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work with my SGS3. From my understanding you should uninstall/freeze the default gallery app and next time you try to open the gallery from the Camera app, the phone should ask which app should be used to view the picture.

Reactions: mess18

mess18

Nov 30, 2004
Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work with my SGS3. From my understanding you should uninstall/freeze the default gallery app and next time you try to open the gallery from the Camera app, the phone should ask which app should be used to view the picture.
I tried freezing. It won"t work either. My problem is getting to albums from the Contacts app, when I need to add a picture to a contact. If I freeze the Gallery there will be no Image option in the Contact Photo window opened for selection of the photo source for a contact. It means I cannot get into my albums for photo selection. And since my contacts photo album is organized by name, I am having hard times when looking for a right photo for my contacts. QuickPic could solve this...
Don"t understand how this so basic and obvious feature is missing in such a complex and long time running on millions devices OS?

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA-Developers mobile app

gene.pavlovsky

Nov 29, 2012
I tried freezing. It won"t work either. My problem is getting to albums from the Contacts app, when I need to add a picture to a contact. If I freeze the Gallery there will be no Image option in the Contact Photo window opened for selection of the photo source for a contact. It means I cannot get into my albums for photo selection. And since my contacts photo album is organized by name, I am having hard times when looking for a right photo for my contacts. QuickPic could solve this...
Don"t understand how this so basic and obvious feature is missing in such a complex and long time running on millions devices OS?

I feel your pain, I have similar idea. But maybe the blame is misdirected, the Contacts app comes from Samsung, doesn't it? They made some of their apps too tightly integrated with each other, not giving the user the flexibility to choose the gallery app. I'm planning to try another ROM (e.g. CyanogenMod) to get a look at the pure Android experience.

Reactions: mess18

mess18

Nov 30, 2004
I feel your pain, I have similar idea. But maybe the blame is misdirected, the Contacts app comes from Samsung, doesn't it? They made some of their apps too tightly integrated with each other, not giving the user the flexibility to choose the gallery app. I'm planning to try another ROM (e.g. CyanogenMod) to get a look at the pure Android experience.
Yes, you are right. Anyway, good luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you're rooted and have the Xposed framework installed, try this xposed module:
    http://xdaforums.com/xposed/modules/mod-samsung-camera-gallery-fix-t2988640
    And how exactly to use it after installation? The module has no user interface. How get I get Quickpic into action?