[HOWTO] Root/Fix wifi Avail Z990 No ABD

Search This thread

cwwilson721

Mar 11, 2012
It's actually super-super easy to root.

You have to make sure you:
  • Have access to the sdcard, either through ADB or a adapter to your computer.
  • If phone is locked, use an AT&T sim. If unlocked, and using another carriers sim, must have APN info
  • Have data working on the phone, either wifi or from the carrier. You also must have a Google account to download/install 2 programs from Play Store

Now, I use T-Mobile, and my data speed here is GPRS..Yep, not even dialup speeds. During the unlock process I was following, my wifi mac address got screwy (If, when trying to enable wifi, it keeps shutting off, you may have same issue)

But, I'll also show how to fix that, too.

The following HOWTO does NOT require ADB, but it can make life easier for you. I always enable it at first boot.

The sections in Green are for everybody

The sections in Blue are if, like me, you have no wifi

** This WILL work for the AT&T Avail ZTE-Z990 (MIGHT work for the Z990g Merit. I don't have one, so proceed at your own risk ). It may work on your phone. It may not.
** If you follow this, and you 'brick your phone', start World War III, or your hair falls out, IT'S YOUR PROBLEM, NOT MINE.

1. Hit the dialer on your phone. Dial *983*7668# (DO NOT PRESS THE GREEN SEND BUTTON)
  2. After the little text saying something about root, go to the Google Play Store, and search for "Superuser". The first on the list you want to install
  3. After Superuser installs, start it, and go to the FAR LEFT, and find where it says "Tap here" for updating. Let it update. If it doesn't, reboot the phone, try again
  4. If you get an error about the * code, you may have a newer update from your carrier installed. Google search for "TCard z990", and reflash for the older rom. The *code will work then.

You got root, Really, It's THAT easy

Now for 'goofy wifi'

• After Superuser is up and running, get "Absolute System Root Tools" from the Play Store, and install it.
  • When you run the program, it should have a dialog from Superuser to allow access. If not, reboot, try again
  • At the top of ASRT, tap "File Browser", navigate to "/system/etc"
  • Find the file 'nv_4319.txt', and tap it.
  • Scroll down to two lines that have "macaddr" in them. One has a '#' infront of it. Swap the '#' from the front of that line to the front of the other 'macaddr'
  • Press Menu button, and save. Back out of ASRT, and go to the wifi settings. Turn your wifi off, then back on. You should be able to connect to wifi now.

That's about it.

Now if we can just get some headway with a Cyanogen ROM for this thing....

Last edited:

el_venga

May 17, 2007
i just rooted and then modified the nv_4319.txt file. i did install superuser but i dont think is needed, no permission was asked. instead of ASRT, any root file explorer with built-in text editor will work. i used root explorer.

cwwilson721

Mar 11, 2012
i just rooted and then modified the nv_4319.txt file. i did install superuser but i dont think is needed, no permission was asked. instead of ASRT, any root file explorer with built-in text editor will work. i used root explorer.

Better install SuperUser

Why? Because, if you don't, EVERYTHING has su access ALL THE TIME. The Superuser app limits this.

mrwylde

Mar 30, 2014
Moto X Style (Pure)
nv-4319 edited but still nothing

i tried your method and edited the file successfully but my wifi still stays white and when i attempt to turn it on it simply flashes and returns to the same error message. i rooted my device successfully several months ago and wifi worked fine until i used the trev e mod tethering app which worked well once, however neither wifi or tethering have worked since. any other suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance.