[HOW TO] [TUTORIAL] S3 Replace Cracked Glass Screen

Search This thread

scooter247

Jun 26, 2009
I just did mine last night. I chose the disassemble it down to the screen and heated the class. I was able to reuse the tape for the new screen. Make sure to heat the glass side only this way the adhesive come off the glass and not the metal housing. I used a business card to slide under the screen where I had already separated. At first it looked like I was pushing into something soft under the screen but after I got the glass off I realized it was adhesive. I removed and clean the digitizer and cleared the screen but keep the black double sided adhesive intact and reused it for my new screen. I also left my screen protector on and it kept the glass from splintering so I had no glass to clean from the screen

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

jmario79

Feb 28, 2012
H-Town
Heres my glass I replaced today. it wasnt easy and it wasn't too difficult. I been fixing phones for a while so take your time if you Want To replace your glass. and make sure you heat up the glass real good. It helps a lot. And make sure you clean up the residue left from the glue real good. if you don't your phones screen won't work correctly.

WOW! u did a nice job in breaking ur phone. well, u also did a good job in fixing it.:good:

velkrosmaak

Jan 29, 2010
Bristol, UK
**** **** **** **** ****. As I ran around the edge of my phone with a pen knife I cut through the ribbon that connects the two touch sensitive buttons on the bottom. :crying:

Also, on the screen some of the thin film came off with the screen, but some of it is still stuck on. That would have been a problem anyway I'm guessing?

So what are my options now? Get a new screen and digitiser, and the two touch sensitive buttons? Is that even possible? Googling now but if anyone here has been as stupid as I have I'd love to hear from you!

jrocks213

Jan 22, 2011
Los Angeles
**** **** **** **** ****. As I ran around the edge of my phone with a pen knife I cut through the ribbon that connects the two touch sensitive buttons on the bottom. :crying:

Also, on the screen some of the thin film came off with the screen, but some of it is still stuck on. That would have been a problem anyway I'm guessing?

So what are my options now? Get a new screen and digitiser, and the two touch sensitive buttons? Is that even possible? Googling now but if anyone here has been as stupid as I have I'd love to hear from you!

Only option find a new whole glass with digitizer. Good luck.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium HD app

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
Did you heat the whole glass at once or focus on one area at a time (ie the bottom, then middle then top)?

My glass came in today. About to start the adventure, but want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row first.

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
I don't have a heat gun, and don't have the extra cash right now, so I'm hoping the wives blow dryer will do the trick.

I've read others say they used a blow dryer so I'm hoping it's fine, lol.

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
Well, I was out of the house all day and FINALLY got my package in the mail.

I'm trying to mentally prepare for the possibility that I completely ruin my phone if I fail. Hard to swallow that notion, lol.

Going to take a crack at it in a few. I can see and feel scratches on the new screen (it has the film on it and I'm assuming it's just the film scratched but I don't want to pull it off until I'm ready to put it in). Hoping it's not the screen itself that's scratched to hell....in which case it'd clearly not be GGlass.

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
Well, I'm back up!

Digitizer did have some permanent damage (no dead spots) in the form of noticeable "dots" under the screen which is going to annoy me beyond belief. Also, I must have missed a few tiny shards of glass at the top by the front facing camera because it won't sit flush with the bezel. Its ever so slightly raised (you can drag your finger across it and feel it) and I'm worried dirty and dust is going to build under it.

On the plus side, the digitizer isn't ruined and my screen is no longer cracked up.

Cup half full, lol.

looneytrw

Dec 11, 2012
Great

Worked a treat and the cereal box was the best tip all in all a real good turn out....cleaning the digitizer was the longest part to make sure it was a real clean finish all I had is one of the bottom buttons does not light up all the way but I am not messing just for this little issue what a great tutorial many thanks :D
cheers

civicvx94

Dec 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I just did this today, very happy to report it came out nearly perfect. A few tips, I used a razor blade and started with the tiny chips where it was shattered at and worked all the small pieces out. It's helpful to have some tiny tweezers and I was wearing magnifying glasses too.

Once you just have big pieces left, I would pry it with the razor blade and just apply pressure while under constant heat from the blow dryer. You can see the glue slowly breaking, just keep applying slow and steady pressure. It may snap, but it's not a big deal, mine broke from one huge piece to 3 smaller ones, I just worked them all out the same way. Be careful around the bottom with the ribbon, I wasn't expecting that..

Having a can of duster would be extremely handy when it comes to cleaning it. That was the biggest pain in the ass... I actually had my whole phone back together and was using it, saw a few large pieces of dust and ended up taking the screen off and cleaning it again.. If you find yourself in this position, what I did was use a suction cup on the glass, reheated it and pulled the glass right out, clean it and put it back in. So be careful. Other than that everything is great, typed this reply on it. I went with black glass and it looks sick too btw.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: zazoo24

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
After changing the screen I'm getting a faint "popping" noise through my headphones/Bluetooth speaker almost constantly.

Could I have somehow damaged the headphone jack or something? Or is there anything else I could have damaged that could have caused this?

Its really weird and I have no clue how I could have caused this by changing the screen.

XeoNoX

Oct 25, 2010
I just did this today, very happy to report it came out nearly perfect. A few tips, I used a razor blade and started with the tiny chips where it was shattered at and worked all the small pieces out. It's helpful to have some tiny tweezers and I was wearing magnifying glasses too.

Once you just have big pieces left, I would pry it with the razor blade and just apply pressure while under constant heat from the blow dryer. You can see the glue slowly breaking, just keep applying slow and steady pressure. It may snap, but it's not a big deal, mine broke from one huge piece to 3 smaller ones, I just worked them all out the same way. Be careful around the bottom with the ribbon, I wasn't expecting that..

Having a can of duster would be extremely handy when it comes to cleaning it. That was the biggest pain in the ass... I actually had my whole phone back together and was using it, saw a few large pieces of dust and ended up taking the screen off and cleaning it again.. If you find yourself in this position, what I did was use a suction cup on the glass, reheated it and pulled the glass right out, clean it and put it back in. So be careful. Other than that everything is great, typed this reply on it. I went with black glass and it looks sick too btw.

congrats on getting it to work, yea the biggest problem is DUST and cleaning the digitizer very well. As a matter of fact i have like a few specs of dust underneath my glass but i never bother to take it off as dust gets on the top of my phone and it blends right in as nothing is dust free. As far as using a razor blade it works bbut for those that wanna use a razorblad be really carefull or u will scratch the digitizer.

After changing the screen I'm getting a faint "popping" noise through my headphones/Bluetooth speaker almost constantly.

Could I have somehow damaged the headphone jack or something? Or is there anything else I could have damaged that could have caused this?

Its really weird and I have no clue how I could have caused this by changing the screen.

maybe its just your headphones/speakers, try different headphones/speakers and different song. try chorded headphones.

jrocks213

Jan 22, 2011
Los Angeles

Prob something wrong with your headphones bro.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium HD app

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
Tried two sets of corded headphones then a Bluetooth sound bar. Happened with all three. Tried while streaming via Play Music, Pandora and iHeartRadio.

Its a faint popping noise.

In wondering if I melted something with the blow dryer.

XeoNoX

Oct 25, 2010
Tried two sets of corded headphones then a Bluetooth sound bar. Happened with all three. Tried while streaming via Play Music, Pandora and iHeartRadio.

Its a faint popping noise.

In wondering if I melted something with the blow dryer.

you using custom rom or custom apps that modify sound??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all i take no credit for this discovery or process. If anyone wants credit for this information just MSG me with a reference and i will be more than happy to add you. However i looked around and the information was all scattered so i figured i'de add it all in one easy to follow post. Most of the info i found was thru youtube and a couple of my own added ideas.

This is a how to remove , separate , and replace a cracked
    S3 screen from the digitizer by melting/softening the adhesive glue
    (in other words it is how to replace JUST THE GLASS)

Many people out there still say that the S3 's glass can not be separated from the digitizer and that the digitizer and glass but be bought "fused" together from OEM..this is not true. It can indeed be separated using the the process below and it will work just fine and be just as responsive as when you first bought the phone. Video Proof below.

PLEASE SEE THESE VIDEOS For screen removal from digitizer and Use as reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eneLvVe7DwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZuiCsAtThw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJXXKOl7Nu8

The screen/glass part u are replacing looks like this
    (i know it doesn't look like it is glass but trust me it is glass, it is about as thin as 5 sheets of paper):

CVA6W.jpg

sICFr.jpg

video thanks to: marcustaz

This is how i replaced my screen and tools needed:

***Lots of Patience and carefulness *** (about 30 mins if u done before...about 60-90 mins if its your 1st time)

*** wear PROTECTIVE GOGGLES - EYE GLASSES (yes there is a HIGH POSSIBILITY that small glass shards may fly and glass in the eye is not fun)***

1) replacement screen - with no digitizer (exact pictures of what u need to buy are the pictures above..just match your color) ($25 USD aprox on Amazon - Cheaper on Ebay $18 USD) (The same screen fits all models just match the color...Samsung Galaxy S3 III T-mobile SGH-T999 / AT&T SGH-i747 / Verizon SCH-i535 / Sprint SPH-L710 / US Cellular SCH-R530 / GT-i9300)

2) exacto knife ($5 USD aprox)

3) heat gun ($20(harborfreight) for a cheapy....or $40 (homedepot) for a good one with adjustable heat)
    ***** HEAT IS CRITICAL, most people faill because they did not heat up the glass enough ( MUST BE around 180F)****

4) empty cereal box or cardboard calendar (or something similar that is comparable in sturdiness yet is "not too solid")

5) 90% rubbing alcohol ( $3.. make "damp" on a microfiber cloth or cotton ball (cotton-ball kinda makes a mess) removes any excess glue stuck to the digitizer)

6) microfiber cloth (available from .99 cent stores or dollar stores)

7) tweezers (.99 cent store ...or your moms/girlfriends/wife's beauty box..LoL)

OPTIONAL TOOLS BUT HELPS ALOT

*** an extra hand or two (1 or 2 more people helping is a big help)

*** laser thermometer (to make sure u do not overheat the phone, try to stay under 200F degrees with an average of about 180F degrees, slightly going over 200 does not hurt but i do not recommend)

*** thick leather gloves/welding gloves (prevents your hands from getting burned while someone else is heating the phone and maintaining the temp u can be easily removing the screen...at 180 degrees the glue and glass separate from the digitizer like BUTTER and the gloves protect you from getting burned by the heatgun!!!)

***Magnifying glass (to be able to make sure the glass fragments are completely removed from the digitizer so the new screen will sit flush)

*** thin latex/rubber gloves (when putting on the screen so there are no finger prints)

*** duck tape (hold glass together so it doesn't "fall apart" while removing)

Instructions on how i did it below:

Remove the battery , sim card, micro sdcard. Apply ductape or some kinda of good heat resistant tape to the top of the glass screen so the broken glass stays intact when removing. Put on your safety glasses/eye protection (believe me i highly recommend this regardless of how dorky you may look, if glass from the phone goes in your eye ...well you have been warned). Grab the exacto bladed and lightly apply pressure with it between the glass and the outer grey plastic trim and then outline the entire outer edge of the glass. Put on some heat resistant gloves (gloves that u wont feel the burn) Heat up your heatgun and heat the phones screen to around 180 Degrees Fahrenheit ...you can know the temp by using a laser thermometer (try not to go over 200 degrees). NOTE: U must remove the glass when its at around this temp, failure to do so will make it hard to remove the glass from the digitizer. Try to heat the entire phone evenly by using a "circular" or "side to side" type of motion when applying the heat. Find the outer edge of the glass and find a place in the corner to begin the removal. I recommend beginning on the top left side of the phone (where the S in SAMSUNG side of the corner) is at. Once the phone is heated to approx 180 degrees you can begin to lift the glass. (i do not recommend lifting in the middle of the screen or any "black part" of the screen as you can risk damaging the digitizer, the outer edge (where it is white/blue) is the safest spot to begin separation.) If you don't have access to a laser thermometer then you can risk it and just take your time till you notice the glass begins to "lift/separate" . Once you have a decent amount of the glass lifted (just enough to put the cardboard in) you can shove a piece of the cereal box inside and begin to use the cereal box to lift the rest of the glass. Continue this processes till the glass is all lifted and removed. When you start approaching the bottom of the phone where the button is at BE CAREFUL...try to go around the bottom and you will also notice 2 " touch ribbon light sensors"(look at the attachment pictures BELOW i labeled the light/ribbon sensor). They can removed from the glass using the heat gun and the exacto knife...it should lift right up and separate from the glass. Once u separate the ribbon your should be all done removing or close to done removing the glass from the digitizer. If by this point you haven't already removed the glass continue to remove till all the major pieces of glass is removed. Once the major pieces of glass are removed you can now put on some latex gloves and Remove the excess glass on the corners using the exacto knife and the tweezers. Carefully remove the small pieces of glass on the digitizer using a 90% alcohol LIGHTLY DAMPENED microfiber cloth. DO NOT APPLY HEAVY PRESSURE TO THE DIGITIZER when tiny glass is still on there (instead just kind of gently sweep it...using a new paint brush might even help) when removing the small glass fragment, NOTE that if you do apply too much pressure to the digitizer u risk the glass shards scratching or denting the digitizer!!! Once the glass is all removed and shards are gone you can now clean any fingerprints lint dust or oils using a dry microfiber cloth by gently applying LIGHT/SOFT pressure. Leave the glue on the outside edges of the phone and the bottom and top of the phone...just make sure the digitizer is spotless. Once everything is clean and the digitizer is spotless you can now install the screen. start from the bottom of the phone and proceed to put on the screen, make sure the "push" button is lined up and the line up the "light-sensor-ribbons buttons". the sensor ribbon buttons should just stick to the glass and line up with the screen part. Once the button is lined up you can now line up the rest of the screen and gently push down. The screen should be stuck into place by the existing glue on the outer edges. While holding the screen in place carefully put the battery in and turn on the device and make sure the buttons and screen and everything works properly and make sure the "lights" on the menu buttons work. Once you verify everything works and looks beautiful you can take the battery out one last time. Using the heatgun reheat the screen to melt the adhesive glue to the screen. Once the screen is heated back up to 180 degrees gently push on the glass and press for about 10 seconds and make sure to press in the outter edges of the glass where u left the glue. Let the phone cool off and you are good to go. Have fun using your S3!! This sounds fairly long and hard, but its not as hard as it sounds..its actually fairly easy and should take the average person about 50-70 mins first time. Experienced person about 20-40 mins.

i figure with the videos above you should be able to figure it out. Ill probably be adding more detailed info if this thread becomes popular. Good luck guys/gals

FAQS
    Q1) How do i know if its just my glass screen and not the phone itself that's not working?
    You will know if your phone screen lens cracked, but LCD display works. In other words you will know that its just the glass that's broken if your phone currently works perfectly fine and the touch screen works fine BUT the only thing wrong with the phone is the screen being physically cracked/scratched. If this is your case then the instructions above will work on replacing the glass.

keywords: s3 sIII slll fix fixed shattered break broke crack cracked cracks fuse fused unfuse remove removal repair guide video videos tutorial how-to how to fix it diy dropped drop break broken broke gorilla glass white marble t999 i747 i535 l710 r530 i9300 instruction
    Gentlemen and OP please update your original post to include this video. This is NOT to promote myself but from all the comments and feedback everyone has stated it is the most detailed and informative on You Tube on the glass replacement procedure. I also have separate videos on shattered glass replacement. Thanks and good luck.

Build up the entire border with 2mm tape a bit more. At the bottom especially on top of the ribbon cable there is a protective clear cover and in my experience if that comes off during the original loca removal the glass can sit to low and contact the digitizer. Not tooting my own horn here, watch my videos of glass repair part 2 I believe and watch how I make the rectangle border of 2 mm tape. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
    Well... I am unable to find anyone locally willing to help and am nervous as all hell about attempting this. Anyone done this first attempt not messing it up? Also my screen looks like a spiderweb its so banged up. Will this affect how the screen pulls off of the digitizer? Thanks. :( hopefully I manage!

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 2

My sisters screen was the worst I have ever seen. It was so shattered it was missing litle pieces if glss. I did it on my first attemp with no problems. It really is easier than it looks. Just be patient and make shure you are getting the addhesive hot enough (without melting your phone) and the screen will come right off.....with the help of a razor blade....Once Ihad finished I was shocked on how easy it really was....

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

My sisters screen was the worst I have ever seen. It was so shattered it was missing litle pieces if glss. I did it on my first attemp with no problems. It really is easier than it looks. Just be patient and make shure you are getting the addhesive hot enough (without melting your phone) and the screen will come right off.....with the help of a razor blade....Once Ihad finished I was shocked on how easy it really was....

My auto correct has failed me....lol
    Tried this and it works haven't noticed any issue with my screen response. $100 for gs3 with cracked screen $14 replacement glass $24 on heat gun which I'll return lol $1 on alcohol $4 on towels can't beat that