[Q] Am I rooted or unlocked??

Search This thread

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Hmmm... that one-click root method looks awesome, but since it was only uploaded yesterday I'm a little bit weary of it.

I tried to get that google-usb_driver, but with the sdk r13 it won't let me unless I update to r17. I'm thinking of just going to http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and getting the latest sdk r17 exe file & trying to go from there. Only concern is that on the guide here on xda it says "from sdk r14 forward Google removed the fastboot command so I'd have to make the fastboot command myself" -will this be an issue or is that easily done??

(I seriously can't believe I'm running into wall after wall with this.
I REALLY appreciate all the help thus far, by the way)

go to pdanets website, www.junefabrics.com/android , download the free download, install it, open it. follow the onscreen instructions and itll instal the latest driver for you. its the easiest way to get the driver installed.

Reactions: MotorcycleKopp

MotorcycleKopp

Dec 21, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
OK. From a combination of the advice from gullu101 and simms22, I got "A" driver installed. But unlike in the guide it's named "Android ABD Interface" instead of "Android Bootloader Interface"

-is this OK????

[update]
- Alright so I tried to go ahead with the process even though the driver was called "Android ABD Interface" instead of "Android Bootloader Interface"
- I downloaded "recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img" moved it into C:\android-sdk-windows\tools and renamed it to "recovery.img"
- I opened a command prompt & typed in "cd \android-sdk-windows\tools"
- Then typed in "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
- BUT then a window popped up saying the following:
"This application has failed to start because AdbWinApi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"
......so I tried repeating all the steps again, but I still come to the same result.

What is causing this AdbWinApi.dll to not be found and/or what does this mean??

Last edited:

Rimmir

Jan 22, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
Is your phone in the Bootloader Interface (the first screenshot in the guide)?

If so, try continuing the guide from the third phone screenshot, right after where you see the words "LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED" in red letters in the guide

If it works, that means the driver is installed. If it doesn't work...well, it won't do anything to your phone, so don't worry about messing up...

Last edited:

MotorcycleKopp

Dec 21, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
Yes, I am in the Bootloader Interface.

I just tried continuing from where it tells you to "Download clockwork recovery...."
but when I type in "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" a window pops up saying:
This application has failed to start because AdbWinApi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem
-and this is where I'm stuck at right now.....

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
You can get that file from here, it also includes adb, fastboot and drivers. It just needs to be placed in the same folder as your current fastboot/adb files.

I think there is a recent fastboot and adb update recently too, might even be required for 4.0.4+ ROMs. If this is the case, setup the android SDK (look for the rooting guide) and let it install/update platform-tools.

MotorcycleKopp

Dec 21, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
Ok.... the NexusSHacks website that Harbb sent me looks promising.

Two questions though......
1 - This guy doesn't use clockwork recovery. Instead he uses something called TWRP. Can I still use clockwork instead (because it seems more popular/well known)??
2 - Should I just download the most current SDK (r18) directly from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html?? (because the r13 from the guide seems to be MAJORLY outdated & missing key required components)

Rimmir

Jan 22, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI

1 - This guy doesn't use clockwork recovery. Instead he uses something called TWRP. Can I still use clockwork instead (because it seems more popular/well known)??
2 - Should I just download the most current SDK (r18) directly from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html?? (because the r13 from the guide seems to be MAJORLY outdated & missing key required components)

Yeah, idk why I said this guide was perfect. I'm going to try and write another guide...

Anyhow, you can just download the files from the link harbb gave you and just use that guide completely. If you want to use Clockwork, just copy the clockwork recovery into the folder of the FILES FROM THE NEW GUIDE and replace the step "fastboot flash recovery twrp-crespo-2.0.0RC0.img" WITH "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img", which will give you clockwork mod instead...

MotorcycleKopp

Dec 21, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
And finally.... I am rooted!!

THANK YOU ALL for bearing with me & helping me out to get this done!!

I ended up just following the instructions COMPLETELY from the NexusSHacks YouTube video from his site. I figured if I follow it entirely then there should be no way for things to go wrong (again) lol.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!!
Rock on!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I'm not sure if they put custom recovery on my phone.... how can I tell??

power off>hold volume up+power>volume rocker to select recovery>power to select
    That guide is perfect. If you use, it will install a custom recovery on your phone, which can then be USED to install 4.0.4 on your phone again. If you don't really want root access, I'd stay where you are right now.

Anyhow, if you DO decide to follow the guide, you can skip the part where it says to type "fastboot oem unlock" (beginning of part 2) because that command unlocks the bootloader, and your phone already has an unlocked bootloader (shown bythe unlocked lock you see when you turn your phone on).
    Hmmm... that one-click root method looks awesome, but since it was only uploaded yesterday I'm a little bit weary of it.

I tried to get that google-usb_driver, but with the sdk r13 it won't let me unless I update to r17. I'm thinking of just going to http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and getting the latest sdk r17 exe file & trying to go from there. Only concern is that on the guide here on xda it says "from sdk r14 forward Google removed the fastboot command so I'd have to make the fastboot command myself" -will this be an issue or is that easily done??

(I seriously can't believe I'm running into wall after wall with this.
    I REALLY appreciate all the help thus far, by the way)

go to pdanets website, www.junefabrics.com/android , download the free download, install it, open it. follow the onscreen instructions and itll instal the latest driver for you. its the easiest way to get the driver installed.
    You can get that file from here, it also includes adb, fastboot and drivers. It just needs to be placed in the same folder as your current fastboot/adb files.

I think there is a recent fastboot and adb update recently too, might even be required for 4.0.4+ ROMs. If this is the case, setup the android SDK (look for the rooting guide) and let it install/update platform-tools.

Yeah, idk why I said this guide was perfect. I'm going to try and write another guide...

Anyhow, you can just download the files from the link harbb gave you and just use that guide completely. If you want to use Clockwork, just copy the clockwork recovery into the folder of the FILES FROM THE NEW GUIDE and replace the step "fastboot flash recovery twrp-crespo-2.0.0RC0.img" WITH "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img", which will give you clockwork mod instead...