Damn it - Nexus 10 has light bleed!!!!

Search This thread

MikeBuck

Apr 28, 2012
And i was hoping for something without light bleed, aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Just read Engadgets full review of the nexus 10, generally sounds good, but light bleed is my one bug bare, and yes its there, and they confirmed it on a second device aswell!

Sooo close!

Last edited:
Reactions: omegafiler

cc2ee

Feb 26, 2011
And i was hoping for something without light bleed, aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Just read Engadgets full review of the nexus 10, generally sounds good, but light bleed is my one bug bare, and yes its there, and they confirmed it on a second device aswell!

Sooo close!

Calm down slick. Even two devices doesn't mean that every product off the line will have it. Unless they had checked 20 devices and every one had the same problem, I'm not writing of the device. There are defects. Some people have Nexus 7's with no light bleed, others have it with some light bleed.

MikeBuck

Apr 28, 2012
Calm down slick. Even two devices doesn't mean that every product off the line will have it. Unless they had checked 20 devices and every one had the same problem, I'm not writing of the device. There are defects. Some people have Nexus 7's with no light bleed, others have it with some light bleed.

I'm hoping they were slightly lower quality review devices! PLEASEEEEEEEEEE,

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
I'm hoping they were slightly lower quality review devices! PLEASEEEEEEEEEE,
Of the 5 reviews so far only Engadget mentioned leakage, everyone else is highly satisfied with the screen. Cnet mentioned these are presale models being tested, so let's just wait for the final version.

Adulmec

May 22, 2012
With the new Nexus 10 coming out, I strongly believe Apple is going downhill. I do not want to be cynical but had Steve been still alive, this would have never happened. When I saw the Ipad Mini, I thought "This is going to be my first Apple product, though expensive". Then Google announced Nexus 10. Everything changed dramatically. I want Google, and nothing but the Google, so help me God(if any)!!!

Last edited:

manaox2

Oct 1, 2010
Light bleed is kind of a big deal to me too. I don't care about anything being really much over 1920x1080 (although it has to be at least 300PPI for me with Pentile displays, I can still see it), but light bleed might be the deal breaker here when I see this thing. It is not like I absolutely need a tablet with a good desktop, laptop, and phone. I'd be getting it for media and browsing around the house and workplace where screen quality will be the #1 focus.

Vertron

Jul 30, 2010
Light bleed is kind of a big deal to me too. I don't care about anything being really much over 1920x1080 (although it has to be at least 300PPI for me with Pentile displays, I can still see it), but light bleed might be the deal breaker here when I see this thing. It is not like I absolutely need a tablet with a good desktop, laptop, and phone. I'd be getting it for media and browsing around the house and workplace where screen quality will be the #1 focus.

+1 Can't stand light bleed.

It seems that the contrast is nothing special either, but that's because it's not as bright as other tablets. The black level looks decent according to the tests.

mi7chy

Oct 26, 2008
Any LCD with a backlight will suffer from light bleed to some extent even the iPad3 retina (just Google for the pictures). Obviously, something to check for and exchange if it's significant. The pictures on The Verge don't show any signs of it and the pixel level comparison shows the Nexus 10 display to be superior in black level, colors and sharpness against retina.

whoster69

Jan 3, 2007
Ukiah
There is a firestorm going on over at Engadget over this review. The same reviewer wrote the iPad mini review and fawned over it but nitpicks the Nexus 10. Engadget has been deleting posts that point out the flaws in the review (and back it up with evidence).

I wouldn't put too much stock in this review, but it's always a good idea to be skeptical.

Reactions: browy

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
What is exactly "light bleed"?
Background light inconsistency.

5060128160_802f0c4f36.jpg

testulous

Aug 23, 2010
Vancouvre
I always thought light bleed was the presence of light when there shouldn't be any. Like when you're watching a movie in portrait view, and the black bars on top and bottom show light. That's why I haven't wasted much time with IPS in the last couple years ever since discovering Samsung's AMOLEDs. Uneven backlighting is a different and even worse artifact, and again it only affects non-AMOLED screens.

MultiLockOn

Jan 14, 2012
I always thought light bleed was the presence of light when there shouldn't be any. Like when you're watching a movie in portrait view, and the black bars on top and bottom show light. That's why I haven't wasted much time with IPS in the last couple years ever since discovering Samsung's AMOLEDs. Uneven backlighting is a different and even worse artifact, and again it only affects non-AMOLED screens.

Seems like they both have pros and cons. Amoled displays have high risk of tint, I experienced this in my s2 for about a year until I finally got a replacement. This one portrays whites much better, or at least now it does. Aside from that you have all benefits, thin capacitive touch layer, vibrant colors (I don't give a **** if they're over saturated, they look great and that's what matters), no risk of light bleed, and huge potential battery savings. In my personal opinion I would take an amoled panel any day. I mean, displays like the super lcd2 in the one x are brilliant, but come on,, have you seen the note 2 on dynamic settings ? :p
Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

mi7chy

Oct 26, 2008
Wished Samsung had gone with SAMOLED. Without a backlight there's no backlight bleed, ghosting, uniformity, etc. issues.

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
Wished Samsung had gone with SAMOLED. Without a backlight there's no backlight bleed, ghosting, uniformity, etc. issues.

The technology is not there yet, nor is the economy. They simply can't produce a 2560x1680 OLED panel, 10" or otherwise, at a price anyone would be willing to pay.

Look at the PenTile "tricks" they have to pull on Galaxy phones as an indicator of how they're struggling with the tech, look at the very high cost of the Tab 7.7 to see how expensive it gets when you increase size, and to further reinforce that look at the ludicrous price of their big screen SAMOLED televisions compared to LCD and plasma.

Give it a few more years, it'll be feasible, and Samsung is surely working very hard on the problem, since they have a lot invested in pretty much owning the OLED market.

Reactions: thebobp and Kookas

The-Kevster

Nov 2, 2007
London, UK
You're right. This is going to be the best 10" screen for the next 6-12 months. Yes it won't look as good as the screen on my S3 but I will be more than happy with it.

8 days and counting!

Hopefully a PCWorld/Currys near me will have it ready to take away!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is exactly "light bleed"?
    Background light inconsistency.

5060128160_802f0c4f36.jpg
    nope, was full brightness on all 3
    yes, that is just how big the difference is.

the iPad has a little light bleed as well which you can see if crank up the brightness on whatever you view the picture on (bottom right and top right in particular) but the black level is just much MUCH blacker which is why the visibility is so low in the picture.

incidentally I did end up exchanging my iPad for a replacement too because it had 1 dead pixel and 1 stuck pixel so I'm not trying to claim iPads are flawless either but when it comes to backlighting there's just no comparison

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the display itself on the nexus 10. Its as good as it gets on a tablet form. The display on the nexus can push the same levels on blacks as the retina display.. And in many ways the nexus 10 display is better for picture quality. Now,... What makes apples new iPad seem as a better display, is simply because they are better in the assembly/connecting the display to the iPad. They managed to align it in way causing minimal stress to the display,. And that's to me where apple really shines through,.. They are consistent in their quality of making their products. Its herein 95% of all backlight bleeding occur. The backlight bleeding in the nexus 10 is NOT caused by a bad display,.. But it IS caused by BAD assembly from factory. It takes only just a little uneven pressure on the display to cause the backlight bleeding.
    And the way the nexus 10 is put together, makes it like winning the lottery to find one without backlight bleeding. That said it is possible to eliminate the backlight bleeding. I fixed my display myself, removing 98% og the backlight bleeding,. Bad news is, that its not an easy fix, because of the way the display was assembled. It takes alot of patience and fiddling, and you'll be without warranty if you break something trying to fix it.

So long story short,.. The display on the nexus 10 is flawless,... It's the way they made room for it that sucks. After taking the nexus apart I will almost guarantee that more than 90% of the complaints people make of their backlight bleeding problems, is coming form their bottom right and/or left corner, as this is where they made everything so narrow that its almost impossible not causing any stress to the lower/bottom of the display.

Now a word of advice,... If you only have backlight bleeding on highest brightness but no bleeding on the lowest brightness,.. No reason to try fix it,. You won't be able to see the backlight bleed in the daytime anyways, and in low/no light environment you should use the lowest settings on brightness for optimum picture performance anyways. And that's (to me) where the display really shines through, with its ability to render crisp details in low brightness. And actually its more the cell light you set up and down (when adjusting the brightness in android) than it is the brightness of the display.

TechGeek over and out:)

OK here are some photos. The best I could do in a dark room shooting with my Nexus 4.
    I think people just want to love this tablet so much and are trying to convince themselves that the defects aren't "that bad". Don't try to justify it, just send it back or get a refund.
    Any LCD with a backlight will suffer from light bleed to some extent even the iPad3 retina (just Google for the pictures). Obviously, something to check for and exchange if it's significant. The pictures on The Verge don't show any signs of it and the pixel level comparison shows the Nexus 10 display to be superior in black level, colors and sharpness against retina.