[How-To] properly install Android

Search This thread

N!ghty

Dec 13, 2008
localhost
It is not quite self-explaining how to install Android on our Windows Mobile devices. Therefore I took some time and wrote down all the steps for people who are new to "Android".

More testers -> more experience -> more knowledge -> faster/better development.

I hope this way the forum is kept clean(er) from all kinds of questioned that have already been answered many times.

ReadMe Includes:
- Partitioning
- Device preparations
- Boot loader
- Install steps
- Fixes
- Links
- more...

If you are a developer (you create your own package) feel free to use my ReadMe for your packages (update regularly though).

to download the ReadMe click the [Android Repository] button in my signature.

Last edited:

sraaj

Dec 12, 2009
bucharest
www.htc.com
It goes to a rapidshare page with 3 files, and when I click on the filename Android_README.TXT

or start download, I get the error

The file could not be found. Please check the download link.

N!ghty

Dec 13, 2008
localhost
How would i partition a 1GB SD Card? ie what sizes etc are the last 3 same but the unallocated is just whats left over?

I want to use a spare card rather then the one that came with my HD.

normally just calculate how i wrote in the readme:
whole space -768 (3* 256) and then the other 3 x 256
but in ur case i would make the swap smaller (i think its not even used at all) and the fat32 bigger; for instance:
fat32 - 384 MB
ext2 - 256 MB
ext2 - 256 MB
swap - 128 MB (rest)

Geeba

Nov 12, 2008
To be honest the bit I find most confusing is all the different versions! :(

ghosty_uk

Jun 3, 2008
i didnt create any partitions on my card, and android works as good as it does on any, mind you i have not updated the files fo0r a month so alot might have changed

qtype

Nov 27, 2008
Zadar
To be honest the bit I find most confusing is all the different versions! :(

i agree...

i've been looking these posts here for a couple of days now and i still don't know how to do it....

especially the DualBoot thing...

is it possible to make a little bigger how-to manual?
or at least explain the versioning and the needed thing a little more?

N!ghty

Dec 13, 2008
localhost
the readme is about 50 times longer than anything else u will find about installing android anywhere else ;)

the different versions are just like in windows mobile, theres not much to explain, its rather up to ur personal preference. doesnt take as long as flashing a wm rom, so its easy to try out more versions, especially with more sd cards.

dual boot is easy:
1. install the cab
2. open the dual boot program and make all your settings, for example: auto boot android (click on the checkbox/ratio under android logo), check auto boot checkbox and check fast boot (means 3 instead of 10 secs).
3. restart your device, DONT LAUNCH HARET because that will destroy all the dualboot settings. if you restart/shutdown the device normally, the settings will be stored and android will automatically booted at next startup (or whatever you set before)

if you have android autoboot and u want to boot wm, just QUICKLY press the wm LOGO when the dual boot screen appears.

i might include this in the readme soon, just dont have the time right now unfortunally :(

qtype

Nov 27, 2008
Zadar
the readme is about 50 times longer than anything else u will find about installing android anywhere else ;)

the different versions are just like in windows mobile, theres not much to explain, its rather up to ur personal preference. doesnt take as long as flashing a wm rom, so its easy to try out more versions, especially with more sd cards.

dual boot is easy:
1. install the cab
2. open the dual boot program and make all your settings, for example: auto boot android (click on the checkbox/ratio under android logo), check auto boot checkbox and check fast boot (means 3 instead of 10 secs).
3. restart your device, DONT LAUNCH HARET because that will destroy all the dualboot settings. if you restart/shutdown the device normally, the settings will be stored and android will automatically booted at next startup (or whatever you set before)

if you have android autoboot and u want to boot wm, just QUICKLY press the wm LOGO when the dual boot screen appears.

i might include this in the readme soon, just dont have the time right now unfortunally :(

Thanks for the dualboot help... i'll try that...

the first problem I have encountered yesterday when trying to put Android was SD card formating...

i downloaded the program you said and followed the instructions oh how-to and was not able to do it under Windows 7 with my 16GB SD card... does it even work for Windows 7??? is there another program I can try to do it with???

I have also dualboot on my PC with the Kubuntu being the second OS, but I'm not using it as much as Windows 7... I can try with it if you think it will work.. but first I have to download the 15GB of data from my SD card to my PC, again :(

I would like to put the Espresso build cause I saw that it has everything working beside the GPRS and camera...

can you tell me what should I download for my Blackstone so it works properly???

thanks alot...

N!ghty

Dec 13, 2008
localhost
Thanks for the dualboot help... i'll try that...

the first problem I have encountered yesterday when trying to put Android was SD card formating...

i downloaded the program you said and followed the instructions oh how-to and was not able to do it under Windows 7 with my 16GB SD card... does it even work for Windows 7??? is there another program I can try to do it with???

I have also dualboot on my PC with the Kubuntu being the second OS, but I'm not using it as much as Windows 7... I can try with it if you think it will work.. but first I have to download the 15GB of data from my SD card to my PC, again :(

I would like to put the Espresso build cause I saw that it has everything working beside the GPRS and camera...

can you tell me what should I download for my Blackstone so it works properly???

thanks alot...

like the readme says: partitioning is only needed for partitined builds, which means that android uses several partitions to store different kinds of data, for - hopefully - more speed. only glossy uses partitions, espresso doesnt.
for glossy, u can also use ubuntu (download parted magic or something similar) to create partitions.
for espresso, u just need to copy the stuff onto ur sdcard.
but thats all in the readme... i dont have time to explain in detail coz i need to study a whole ****in lot at the moment +.+

qtype

Nov 27, 2008
Zadar
like the readme says: partitioning is only needed for partitined builds, which means that android uses several partitions to store different kinds of data, for - hopefully - more speed. only glossy uses partitions, espresso doesnt.
for glossy, u can also use ubuntu (download parted magic or something similar) to create partitions.
for espresso, u just need to copy the stuff onto ur sdcard.
but thats all in the readme... i dont have time to explain in detail coz i need to study a whole ****in lot at the moment +.+

ok... thanks for the help... you helped me a lot just with the claryfication of the versions that need partitioning and the ones that don't...

i didn't know that...

good luck with studying!!!!

qtype

Nov 27, 2008
Zadar
one more question...

I get the following message '' Failed to load file\Storage Card\zImage''

Can you help me with that????

qtype

Nov 27, 2008
Zadar
meaning u dont have a zImage at all (ur probably using espresso?). so download one from here, copy files onto sd card and rename "zImage.xxxxxx" to "zImage" and ur ready to go.

yep, I downloaded it but I didn't know that i have to rename it...

It did the trick... booting up Android :)

thanks for all of your help...

qtype

Nov 27, 2008
Zadar
I managed to get the WiFi working but no matter which zImage I'm using I can't get the 3G to work...

I'm I doing something wrong or did I maybe forgot to do something????

N!ghty

Dec 13, 2008
localhost
I managed to get the WiFi working but no matter which zImage I'm using I can't get the 3G to work...

I'm I doing something wrong or did I maybe forgot to do something????

well, some details about what version you are using would be helpful. however, this is not the right channel to ask this question. i think this question has already been asked several times in other threads. try search function or read the thread for ur version, its probably a version-issue or only for your country/provider

qtype

Nov 27, 2008
Zadar
well, some details about what version you are using would be helpful. however, this is not the right channel to ask this question. i think this question has already been asked several times in other threads. try search function or read the thread for ur version, its probably a version-issue or only for your country/provider

sorry about that...I realized it later that I should ask in another thread that question...

I managed to figure it out... I just needed to manually configure my APN settings...