Simple Mobile APN help with Focus

Search This thread

samguwang

Dec 24, 2011
So I ported over my number from AT&T to Simplemobile for the 40 dollar monthly unlimited everything plan. I have everything working except data. I keep trying to change the APN but it's not working. Does anybody know exactly what settings I need to get data to work on the Samsung Focus? My phone is unlocked by the way. Thanks!

EnderPsp

Apr 6, 2008
Lost in Europe :)
So I ported over my number from AT&T to Simplemobile for the 40 dollar monthly unlimited everything plan. I have everything working except data. I keep trying to change the APN but it's not working. Does anybody know exactly what settings I need to get data to work on the Samsung Focus? My phone is unlocked by the way. Thanks!

What exactly have you tried so far?

samguwang

Dec 24, 2011
Thanks for the reply! Well I've tried using the Samsung Network Profile app, tried changing the APN by naming the APN "simple." I've also tried using the names simplemobile, Simple Mobile, but anyways its not working. Supposedly simple is supposed to work for the HD7, but it's not working for the focus :confused:

EnderPsp

Apr 6, 2008
Lost in Europe :)
Thanks for the reply! Well I've tried using the Samsung Network Profile app, tried changing the APN by naming the APN "simple." I've also tried using the names simplemobile, Simple Mobile, but anyways its not working. Supposedly simple is supposed to work for the HD7, but it's not working for the focus :confused:

I wonder...
Do this: delete all APN you have manually entered.
Change the radio to World instead of North America in Settings/Applications/radio
Then, switch the profile to AT&T from Network profile, reset, then switch back to Simplemobile and reset again.

I hope this does the trick, if it doesn't you would need specific information from Simplemobile...

samguwang

Dec 24, 2011
Thanks for the help, can you tell me exactly how you have your focus setup? I'm trying what you said and it isn't working. Do you have the samsung network app installed?

amit dutt

Dec 22, 2011
goto the APN settings..
under APN name use value " WWW" thats it.. save it.. restart the phone (if required).

baritono

Jan 17, 2007
So mine stopped working as well. I have an old Tmobile Dash and it works through that. I do have the Network profile installed as well as the Samsung tools. My focus is totally unlocked, but right now it makes no difference.

baritono

Jan 17, 2007
So, I deleted the APN and started from scratch. Network settings installed as well as Samsung tools with the 3G marker checked. Even though the 3G cannot work on Tmobile, when I enabled it and then typed in simple for APN, it works.
Hope this helps.

bigeyedphish

Jan 1, 2012
Please Help

Hey can you guys please explain how you got the data and MMS to work on your simple mobile unlocked Focus. I have the Network profile App, but cant find the Samsung tools app on the market place.
Also, what goes into the APN settings (Proxy server, username, etc)
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

ekoostik

Dec 20, 2011
I think that I have internet working on my Samsung Focus on Simple Mobile. I say 'think', because often when I try to open a website I am taken to the url androidapi.t-mobile.com/apppack/mvno.html which displays a 503 error. I tested just now by turning off wi-fi, trying to open a web page over and over again. I got this URL and 503 error a few times and then a web page finally loaded. It's not terribly useful, but it occasionally works - so I'm assuming this is more a problem with the connection than with the settings. Sometimes the cell indicator flips between an E and a G. I don't know what the G means, it's not documented that I could find.

I cannot get MMS to work, and based on my research and some others have said this too, it cannot be made to work. Samsung has an app called "Network Profile" that will change the MMS settings for the Focus, but there is no option for Simple Mobile. Until Samsung updates the app for Simple Mobile, we are out of luck.

The settings I use to get data/internet to work on my Focus are:

Under: Settings - Cellular
Data connection: On
Data roaming options: Don't Roam
Network selection: Automatic

Edit/Create APN
APN: simple
User name: [blank]
Password: [blank]
Proxy server/URL: 216.155.165.50
Proxy port: 8080

woodyblack

Jan 23, 2012
Windows Phone 7 & Simple Mobile & Internet

The thing I think that is left out of most of the instructions is to go to the secret menu by going to the dialer and entering ##634# and then go to MMS and change the apn there to simple.

Now my Dell Venue Pro is on Simple Mobile and the Internet finally works!

mgreen404

Feb 11, 2012
How did you change you MMS settings in diagnostic mode? I can only see the code but cannot find a code to edit the mms or data settings.

ekoostik

Dec 20, 2011
The thing I think that is left out of most of the instructions is to go to the secret menu by going to the dialer and entering ##634# and then go to MMS and change the apn there to simple.

Now my Dell Venue Pro is on Simple Mobile and the Internet finally works!

The reason most people leave that step out is because it is not a step they can follow. The original question was about the Focus, and the Focus doesn't let users specify the MMS settings. From what I've read, only the Dell Venue Pro gives users direct access to the MMS settings. Which is why it's the only WP7 phone that Simple Mobile officially supports for MMS.

Samsung has a network app for the Focus that allows you to pick a carrier and then it changes the settings as appropriate. Unfortunately, it doesn't support many carriers.

I'm considering making the switch to TMobile prepaid - TMobile shows up in the nework app along with AT&T and so should be supported.

UPDATE: Switched to TMobile. Using the "Network Profile" app set to automatic network profile changing = On and Active Profile = T-Moile USA, I received MMS messages right away. Will do internet testing later. For 10 bucks less a month I would've preferred to stay with Simple Mobile, but since Microsoft / Samsung lock the MMS settings down & Samsung hasn't updated their Network Profile app to support more carriers, I had to make the switch. Glad at least the mms piece is working.

Last edited:

illitero

Feb 18, 2012
I was able to successfully use both 3G data AND send/receive MMS with the following settings:

MMS:
MMS APC: simple
MMSC: h77p://smpl.mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapeng (Replace sevens with "t"; new user controls...)
AUTH TYPE: None

All other fields are to be left blank.

As mentioned, these settings worked for me marvelously. ...For roughly ten minutes. Then the phone wouldn't wake up, I had to do a battery pull, and mms stopped working. When I go to check the mms settings in EM, it holds onto every value (including blank ones) save for the following:

MMS PORT: (blank)
AUTH TYPE: "None"

Whenever I select "Apply" to save settings, it always force resets those two values to the following:

MMS PORT: 80
AUTH TYPE: "PAP"

Hopefully this is all easy to understand. I've tried at length to search both xda and the world-wide-webz for an answer, but I'm coming up blank. I've always been able to figure this junk out for myself, but this is my first WP7 device, and I'm all kinds of 'tarded with it, haha.

siralex241

May 17, 2009
Chicago
You might want to enable the automatic sim settings. This setting is off by default due to samsung. I think the reason is to keep people on the same carrier that the phone was originally intended for use ie. samsung focus Att

1. Bring up diagnotics app ##634#

2. open diagnostics app located in your apps list (swipe left from start screen)

3. in the diagnostic app type 40*047#3

4. there will be a confimation prompt to confirm autosim detection

5. then the phone will restart and you should have MMS and cellular functionality and internet

This has helped my samsung focus from dropping in and out of my 3g connection...wonderful :)...hope this works for you and confirm if it does work please.

I take no credit for this method and here is the original post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1241721

Last edited:

pitflyer

Feb 16, 2010
I got mine working without mms. Jailbroke the phone and followed the steps to enable internet connection sharing... that added samsung tools. I don't know what in the end made the difference but I was able to use network profile to tmobile and then add apn simple and it worked.

Since then I moved to straight talk .. att.mvno worked for them for apn but still no mms.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think that I have internet working on my Samsung Focus on Simple Mobile. I say 'think', because often when I try to open a website I am taken to the url androidapi.t-mobile.com/apppack/mvno.html which displays a 503 error. I tested just now by turning off wi-fi, trying to open a web page over and over again. I got this URL and 503 error a few times and then a web page finally loaded. It's not terribly useful, but it occasionally works - so I'm assuming this is more a problem with the connection than with the settings. Sometimes the cell indicator flips between an E and a G. I don't know what the G means, it's not documented that I could find.

I cannot get MMS to work, and based on my research and some others have said this too, it cannot be made to work. Samsung has an app called "Network Profile" that will change the MMS settings for the Focus, but there is no option for Simple Mobile. Until Samsung updates the app for Simple Mobile, we are out of luck.

The settings I use to get data/internet to work on my Focus are:

Under: Settings - Cellular
    Data connection: On
    Data roaming options: Don't Roam
    Network selection: Automatic

Edit/Create APN
    User name: [blank]
    Password: [blank]
    Proxy server/URL: 216.155.165.50
    Proxy port: 8080