Unable to install CWM Recovery on rooted stock rom, a little help please?

Search This thread

93starletgt

Aug 5, 2007
Hello!

I just got a pretty good deal on a stock Froyo Infuse 4G, so I bought it.

A little help please! I would love to have the stock ATT rom with the ability to overclock the processor. This is was I have done so far.. plrease don't be so hard on me since this is my first non-HTC device lol.

So the first thing I did was install a "leaked" Gingerbread ATT stock rom using a program called Odin:confused:. Then, I root it using that Superoneclick software... I actually clicked a million times instead trying to get it working because I had GingerBread instead of Froyo :mad:... but somehow managed to do it, it is properly rooted and well tested. So! now with my rooted device, I downloaded Rom Manager from the market, flashed it succesfully (at least that's what the screen said)... and when trying to boot into CWM Recovery I got the following errors:

verifying update package...
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
installation aborted.

I tried to flash it via RomManager several times, also did it via SD-Card renaming it to Update.zip and flashing it with the stock recovery.. same error. I searched for more information, someone in the forum said the reason could be an incompatible Kernel, so I flashed the Community V8 Kernel... and my device didn't boot past the Samsung screen... but somehow if I tried manaully to get into CWM recovery, it worked! (just the recovery). Flashed a custom rom that I didn't like... then suddenly I lost the CWM Recovery and cannot then bricked it and was unable to flash it again..

I managed to restore the phone to ATT factory condition using a guide here on Xda (this time the phone kept the leaked GB rom)... then rooted it again and haven't done anything else. Mu question is:

How can I keep this stock rom with the ability to overclock the processor? (flashing different kernels just makes it freeze on boot at Samsung logo).

Thanks for your help!::

93starletgt

Aug 5, 2007
Thanks, it is a useful link but I still don't find the answer to my question (or maybe I just don't undertand it).

I am beyond frustration... could anyone please tell me what to do to step by step to flash an overclockable Kernel keeping my GingerBread stock ATT rom? like if you were explaining it to a retarded person?

many thanks...

qkster

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 5, 2011
USA
Thanks, it is a useful link but I still don't find the answer to my question (or maybe I just don't undertand it).

I am beyond frustration... could anyone please tell me what to do to step by step to flash an overclockable Kernel keeping my GingerBread stock ATT rom? like if you were explaining it to a retarded person?

many thanks...

1. You need to restore you phone back to stock using gtg's unbrick or heimdall 1 click. (See my post)

2. ATT's GB latest is not rootable thru SOC. You can use odin to flash an insecure kernel (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1212485) but you will also need to update superuser binaries and busybox as well. Running the insecure kernel for OC, you will lose the video recorder and video player.
It doesn't sound like you can understand enough yet to do this.

3. If you want a stock att and rooted, go to the dev section:
check out zeus stock 5.2, vagabond or victory. These are GB stock base roms with root already done. There is also dman's deodexed, rooted gb uclb3 already with oc kernel...no video

93starletgt

Aug 5, 2007
1. You need to restore you phone back to stock using gtg's unbrick or heimdall 1 click. (See my post)

2. ATT's GB latest is not rootable thru SOC. You can use odin to flash an insecure kernel (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1212485) but you will also need to update superuser binaries and busybox as well. Running the insecure kernel for OC, you will lose the video recorder and video player.
It doesn't sound like you can understand enough yet to do this.

3. If you want a stock att and rooted, go to the dev section:
check out zeus stock 5.2, vagabond or victory. These are GB stock base roms with root already done. There is also dman's deodexed, rooted gb uclb3 already with oc kernel...no video

Thanks for the info!

The first step has been done, restored the phone using Heimdall one click after bricking it, the phone was restored with a UCKJ4 2.36 GingerBread stock ATT rom (Kernel 2.6.35.7-I997uckj4-cl694350) and I am also rooted using SuperOneClick.

I don't fully understand step two, will try it once I get some more knowledge.

Question about the third step... does HDMI work in any of those custom stock roms? I use HDMI a lot.

Last edited:

qkster

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 5, 2011
USA
Thanks for the info!

The first step has been done, restored the phone using Heimdall one click after bricking it, the phone was restored with a UCKJ4 2.36 GingerBread stock ATT rom (Kernel 2.6.35.7-I997uckj4-cl694350) and I am also rooted using SuperOneClick.

Question about the third step... does HDMI work in any of those custom stock roms? I use HDMI a lot.

My Vagabond ROM runs the stock kernel if you follow directions.
HDMI will work. Battery is excellent. Feel free to check it out

Reactions: Erik_T

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks for the info!

My Vagabond ROM runs the stock kernel if you follow directions.
    HDMI will work. Battery is excellent. Feel free to check it out