[Q] Extending Wifi

Search This thread

LuciferzRage

Jun 24, 2012
First of all I'd like to apologize if this question has been answered.
I did do some searching around but didn't quite trust my finds since they we're on different phones/forums/etc.

My question is:

Is there any possible way to use my phone as a Wifi Extender or something similar?
I am trying to find a way to use my phone as a temporary "mimic router" for use on a different device.
My problem is the device I want to connect only accepts WEP, but I don't want to mess with my current router settings just for 1 or 2 devices.

Can my T-Mo Moto X be used as an extender.

T-Mo Moto X
Version 4.4 (Stock Rooted)

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines
First of all I'd like to apologize if this question has been answered.
I did do some searching around but didn't quite trust my finds since they we're on different phones/forums/etc.

My question is:

Is there any possible way to use my phone as a Wifi Extender or something similar?
I am trying to find a way to use my phone as a temporary "mimic router" for use on a different device.
My problem is the device I want to connect only accepts WEP, but I don't want to mess with my current router settings just for 1 or 2 devices.

Can my T-Mo Moto X be used as an extender.

T-Mo Moto X
Version 4.4 (Stock Rooted)

Why not just use wireless tether? I think that should be sufficient. also I'm sure you know but making your phone tether or an access point kills the battery. You should just bite the bullet.. upgrade those wifi settings!! lol

LuciferzRage

Jun 24, 2012
Why not just use wireless tether? I think that should be sufficient. also I'm sure you know but making your phone tether or an access point kills the battery. You should just bite the bullet.. upgrade those wifi settings!! lol

I only have this phone for calls, barely got any Data service on it, maybe 500mb. I got a SGH-T989 also looking into making that as a temp "router"

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines
I only have this phone for calls, barely got any Data service on it, maybe 500mb. I got a SGH-T989 also looking into making that as a temp "router"

I see. hmmmm.... well a quick google search just showed me some potential solutions for you. maybe give those a read and maybe you'll have your answer ;)

p.s. some android phone can USB tether a wireless network they're connected too when a SIM card is removed or if you place a non working SIM card in.

Hope you get those devices connected! :laugh:

LuciferzRage

Jun 24, 2012
I see. hmmmm.... well a quick google search just showed me some potential solutions for you. maybe give those a read and maybe you'll have your answer ;)

p.s. some android phone can USB tether a wireless network they're connected too when a SIM card is removed or if you place a non working SIM card in.

Hope you get those devices connected! :laugh:

Hmmm, that sounds interesting, gonna give it a shot. :laugh: