Do screen protectors really help?

Search This thread

skateman274

Jan 6, 2012
Tampa
I messed mine up and haven't got a new one because I didn't think it was a big deal. I have a trident Cyclops case. Would you guys recommend me getting a screen protector

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using xda premium

BillTheCat

Jun 17, 2008
Milford, PA
Yes, they do help.

Though the 'Gorilla Glass' screen on our phone is resistant to chips and scratches, that doesn't mean degradation doesn't occur over time. The purpose of scratch-resistant screens like ours is that the effects are minimized, but it still does occur through small impacts, keys in a pocket, grit on fingers, and so on. Adding a screen protector offers a significant extra level of protection.

Have a look at this thread before you install your next screen shield.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1015394

G

GuestK007

yes...

im not sure what more you wanted. i personally dont use one but i only use the phoen for my 2yr contract anyways and then it just gets pawned to a friend lol

tdexor

Jan 17, 2012
Agree with BillTheCat

It definitely helps. Even if you do keep it for two years (like most people). If it looks like crap no is going to want it or your going to get less for it. Plus they are what $2 including shipping? Definitely worth the money.

Chund3r

Feb 27, 2011
Baltimore, MD
I bought a zagg shield when I got my Inspire, it served its purpose (rather it needed to or not with the gorilla glass). But it eventually collected so much dirt+dust I decided to take it off. I never seen such a beautiful display before on my phone! It was clearer, and the colors were more vibrant. Plus the screen is a lot more "smooth" and a tad bit more responsive without the protector on. Perhaps other brands are better, but I've been screen protector free for about 3 months now without any issues! (Knocks on wood!)

ghostryder12

Jun 26, 2009
Northern California
I bought a 2 pack from ATT corporate store that is grease resistant. Helps tons at keeping face oils off screen, or at least 90% less than without. That's the only reason I use them. Being from ATT, the 2pack was a little pricy, but since I'm still on the first one from November 2011, $12 was doable.

Rooted Inspire with the wicked CoreDroidHD v9.3!

HTC_Phone

Mar 20, 2010
Kansas City
Definitely agree with the screen protector. I have an anti-glare, smudge resistant protector I found on Amazon for like $4 for 5. While it does hinder the vibrancy of colors on the device, the colors still look nice.

Little OT, does anyone's power button begin to recede into the housing?

watt9493

Dec 27, 2010
Croydon, PA
45fd9419-96ea-2f67.jpg

Just put them on.
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: trell959

tyler79durdan

Sep 28, 2011
1:1.61803
I also bought the ATT 2 pack for like 15USD and have used it since the beginning... Its all scratched up, so i can tell that without it my screen would have been shot by now.

Ajeezy

Aug 24, 2010
i've been having the same screen protector since around the release date in feb. still works like a charm

P00t

Apr 9, 2011
Idk if screen protectors works..my friends phone had invisible shield on and accidentallu dropped it from a short distance and his whole screen cracked and display doesn't work anymore( sucks for him, he's going back to the old school phones)

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA App

Chund3r

Feb 27, 2011
Baltimore, MD
A thin piece of plastic (screen protectors) don't prevent the screen from shattering from a fall, just scratches in the screen, which the Gorilla glass does perfectly without distorting the color/hindering the screen sensitivity.

A case is made to absorb some of the impact force that would normally shatter the screen.

Last edited:

watt9493

Dec 27, 2010
Croydon, PA
A thin piece of plastic (screen protectors) don't prevent the screen from shattering from a fall, just scratches in the screen, which the Gorilla glass does perfectly without distorting the color/hindering the screen sensitivity.

A case is made to absorb some of the impact force that would normally shatter the screen.

It would save it from having the chunk missing from the bottom right :rolleyes:

Sent from trells smashed dHD

Reactions: trell959

Wulamoc

Feb 20, 2012

I suppose it's a technicality, but really cases don't 'absorb' force nearly as much as they 'distribute it'. That is, generally there are two types of shock distribution. The first is 'over time' and the second is 'over a larger surface area'.

Your car's suspension work 'over time' (that is instead of ALL of the force being transmitted fom the wheel to the frame to you over less than a thousandth of a second, the force is instead spread over a tenth to hundredth of a second) it whereas a hard hat works 'over a larger surface area' (instead of the 2x4 hitting you on edge with 500psi over the area of impact, it is distributed over a larger area reducing the pressure to 50psi).

The same goes for screen protectors. If you have the 'soft' ones that are as flexible as (say) scotch tape, then there is not much distributive quality to the screen protector in prevention of shattering. A 'hard' screen protector such as the (e.g.) Seido screen protectors would at least assist in prevention of screen shattering *SOME*.
The the actual amount of protection is likely minimal.

To actually get a reliable, tested answer, a large number of phones and screen protectors would have to be subjected to abuse in a standardized way... Stories of "this guys' phone survived with (out) a screen through this or broke because of that are pretty much meaningless. This is simply because there are imperfections in any manufactured screen (making some more likely to shatter than others) AND abuse causes microfractures over time and eventually they lead up to a 'straw' breaking the camel's back.
What we don't know in most of these stories about how a phone with a screen protector or case was dropped and broke ANYWAY is... how many times was the phone dropped before that (or other abuse)?

Now keep in mind that I had neither case nor screen protection on my last smart phone for it's entire two year life. And no case for the last 9 months on my inspire (TPU case is actually usable and it cost all of 1.60 delivered).
Would a screen protector (or case?) have made a difference for me? No. Why? Cause my phone didn't break*!
BUT if it HAD broke, I'd be wondering if it would have survived if it had a case or screen protector.

So, YES screen protectors (the rigid plastic type) WILL make a difference, but is it enough of a difference to justify using them? Who knows. If you're going to go without a screen protector... at least Gorilla Glass has your back on this phone.

Wul

*Keep in mind that I am careful with my phone and don't work in an environment (night stocking, construction, whatever) that is abusive. My phone always gets a pocket to itself (right front).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    45fd9419-96ea-2f67.jpg

Just put them on.
    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    ^ lulz

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

It would save it from having the chunk missing from the bottom right :rolleyes:

Sent from trells smashed dHD
    ^ I agree.:D

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
    They are probably effective in certain situations but I took mine off after a few weeks because it makes the screen harder to see. Just my preference.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA

Same here. I like my phone without a case and a screen protector. Should probably get a screen protector but I tried a couple and didn't really liked them.