Rogers/ATT HTC One X on WIND/T-Mobile (AWS)

Search This thread

danada

Apr 20, 2012
Toronto
I know the phone comes locked from Rogers, but I was wondering if anyone has used an online unlocking service, trimmed a SIM into a microsim, and tested that the Rogers version does in fact work on WIND.

I will be doing this shortly, so check back for updates!

April 25, 2012 Part 2
I got the SIM from my friend and marked it up.
WLVLc.jpg

MOYIN.jpg

I cut the SIM down to microsim size.
59X6p.jpg

Booted up my phone, entered the unlock code from cellunlocker.
eT7zJ.jpg

And got no signal ):

This SIM is (was) working in an HTC Incredible S (international version that supports AWS) immediately before I trimmed it. The trim was successful since the SIM had a PIN lock and unlocking it was successful. I could also see the contacts stored on the SIM.

I went into testing mode to play with the radio settings.
q2gZM.png

YHDov.png

And still get 'No Signal' and 'Emergency Only'.

I've notified HTC again about this and I'll let you know what they advise.

Also, if anyone wants to help me recover the cost of a new WIND SIM ($25), I'd greatly appreciate it, although it's highly unnecessary :)

April 25, 2012
Just an update: I contacted HTC regarding the discrepancy between the official specifications (AWS on wcdma), and Rogers' specifications (AWS on LTE only) and received this very promising response:

Thank you for contacting HTC. I would be glad to clarify this for you Daniel.

The HTC One X as sold by Rogers Wireless supports the following bands LTE CAT3 - DL 100 /UL 50; LTE: 700/AWS; WCDMA: 2100/1900/AWS/850; EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 .

It should not be a problem for you to use an unlocked version of this device with the Canadian carrier of your choice, if you so choose. To ensure that the tech specs on our support site were accurate, I conferred with our escalations team. You can be confident that it does indeed support the bands as indicated.

As for why these specs differ on the Rogers support page, I cannot say. Originally the specs were posted there the same as the official HTC support page. I have brought this to the attention of the appropriate department internally on your behalf. They will look into contacting Rogers to see about having the data corrected on their site to avoid any further confusion to our HTC customers.

For more tech specs or to get the user manual for this phone, please visit our official support site at http://www.htc.com/ca/support/htconex-rogers/tech-specs/ . On the downloads tab you can access your user guide if necessary. Use the binocular icon on the left to enter keywords. This will search the guide and provide you a list of pages that refer to your search term.

If you have any other questions for me, please don't hesitate to reply Daniel. We are open from 6am to 1am eastern time, 7 days a week.

Thank you again for contacting HTC, and have a great evening!

I'll follow-through on my test run on WIND tomorrow (going to cut up a friend's SIM!).

~dan

Last edited:

danada

Apr 20, 2012
Toronto
Good luck from one of your southern neighbors. Damn it, T-Mobile. Why you gotta make me have to look to phones on other networks :]

Successfully trimmed my Rogers fat-sim into a microsim without much reference (I don't have a microsim to measure or anything). This is a good sign as I should be able to trim the WIND sim once I get this sucker unlocked!

zivan56

Jun 14, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Its about $20 to unlock, which isn't bad. I plan to buy the phone for use on WIND when the price drops a little bit more.
There is no reason why it shouldn't work apart from being SIM locked.

PoorCollegeGuy

Account currently disabled
Dec 18, 2011
Columbus
twitter.com
If you'd like to PM me when you're done, I'd like to write about it for the XDA Portal :)

Try to be as informative as possible lol, so I can better describe to others what you're doing

Reactions: david_ag

fungflex

Oct 19, 2005
Denville, NJ
Sure thing. I might write about it as well, so it might save you some trouble and give you some pictures to work with :)

Did you do the unlock yet? I am very curious if the model can be used on WIND and in return T-Mobile here in the US. VERY VERY curious about this, shoot me a PM as I am willing to donate to your cause to unlock it just so I could find out the truth about the bands.

Last edited:

killathenoob

Nov 27, 2010
Hamilton
Samsung Galaxy Tab E
Just to let everyone know I bought the phone on Friday from rogers and used cell unlocked (google it) it only cost $8 USD and I'm now using it on Telus. The unlock code only took about an hour and they emailed it to me.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

fungflex

Oct 19, 2005
Denville, NJ
Just to let everyone know I bought the phone on Friday from rogers and used cell unlocked (google it) it only cost $8 USD and I'm now using it on Telus. The unlock code only took about an hour and they emailed it to me.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Hey, since as far as I can tell your the only one with an unlocked rogers 1x (Hofo/xda at least) do you have any way to test the phone on wind or Moblicity

danada

Apr 20, 2012
Toronto
Just an update, I will be porting my number over to WIND on the 27th or so. This should be the definitive date on whether this actually works and that I can trim my second SIM successfully q:

I've been collecting pictures of the process, and I will probably be writing about it once complete.

~dan

fungflex

Oct 19, 2005
Denville, NJ
Just an update, I will be porting my number over to WIND on the 27th or so. This should be the definitive date on whether this actually works and that I can trim my second SIM successfully q:

I've been collecting pictures of the process, and I will probably be writing about it once complete.

~dan

Awesome, thanks. I'm stuck waiting till 5/6 to get my hands on one. But for me it's really important that it works on T-Mobile. Because that's what I ideally will be using and so if your test goes smoothly I will know that as a worst case scenario I can always purchase the Rogers model.

muchski

Dec 18, 2008
Sweet! Can you direct me to the $8 unlock? That would be epic!!!

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

I would also love to hear about success/failure unlocking and making it work with Wind or Mobilicity! Wooten!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know the phone comes locked from Rogers, but I was wondering if anyone has used an online unlocking service, trimmed a SIM into a microsim, and tested that the Rogers version does in fact work on WIND.

I will be doing this shortly, so check back for updates!

April 25, 2012 Part 2
    I got the SIM from my friend and marked it up.
    WLVLc.jpg

MOYIN.jpg

I cut the SIM down to microsim size.
    59X6p.jpg

Booted up my phone, entered the unlock code from cellunlocker.
    eT7zJ.jpg

And got no signal ):

This SIM is (was) working in an HTC Incredible S (international version that supports AWS) immediately before I trimmed it. The trim was successful since the SIM had a PIN lock and unlocking it was successful. I could also see the contacts stored on the SIM.

I went into testing mode to play with the radio settings.
    q2gZM.png

YHDov.png

And still get 'No Signal' and 'Emergency Only'.

I've notified HTC again about this and I'll let you know what they advise.

Also, if anyone wants to help me recover the cost of a new WIND SIM ($25), I'd greatly appreciate it, although it's highly unnecessary :)

April 25, 2012
    Just an update: I contacted HTC regarding the discrepancy between the official specifications (AWS on wcdma), and Rogers' specifications (AWS on LTE only) and received this very promising response:

The HTC One X as sold by Rogers Wireless supports the following bands LTE CAT3 - DL 100 /UL 50; LTE: 700/AWS; WCDMA: 2100/1900/AWS/850; EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 .

It should not be a problem for you to use an unlocked version of this device with the Canadian carrier of your choice, if you so choose. To ensure that the tech specs on our support site were accurate, I conferred with our escalations team. You can be confident that it does indeed support the bands as indicated.

As for why these specs differ on the Rogers support page, I cannot say. Originally the specs were posted there the same as the official HTC support page. I have brought this to the attention of the appropriate department internally on your behalf. They will look into contacting Rogers to see about having the data corrected on their site to avoid any further confusion to our HTC customers.

For more tech specs or to get the user manual for this phone, please visit our official support site at http://www.htc.com/ca/support/htconex-rogers/tech-specs/ . On the downloads tab you can access your user guide if necessary. Use the binocular icon on the left to enter keywords. This will search the guide and provide you a list of pages that refer to your search term.

If you have any other questions for me, please don't hesitate to reply Daniel. We are open from 6am to 1am eastern time, 7 days a week.

I'll follow-through on my test run on WIND tomorrow (going to cut up a friend's SIM!).

~dan

~dan
    The radio.img is a FAT16 image with a bunch of files it in. Lots of files are similar to the one used in the Skyrocket/Note mods for AWS. These match in terms of filename:

Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 308 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.B00
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6600 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.B01
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 22366864 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.B02
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5073185 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.B03
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1329432 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.B04
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 70904 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.B06
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 624120 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.B07
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 664 Dec 31 1979 MODEM.MDT
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 340 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B00
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 220 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B01
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 75776 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B02
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3008 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B03
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2895648 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B04
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 758696 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B05
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 688492 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B06
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49152 Dec 31 1979 Q6.B07
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 560 Dec 31 1979 Q6.MDT

Others match in terms of file content quite a bit.

Someone can try replacing these files above with the Skyrocket AWS radio files and trying flashing the new radio.img only.

I don't have a One X, but I assume you can run:
    Code:
    fastboot flash radio radio.img
    after you modify it.

After this, do the following to do a network scan (a RIL update may be required, but this avoids it by talking to the modem direclty):

Code:
    su
    stop ril-daemon
    cat /dev/smd0 &
    echo -e "AT+COPS=?\r" > /dev/smd0

The last one will take really long to complete (minutes?). Once done, you should see something like:
    Code:
    +COPS: 
    (2,"ROGERS","","302720",2),

If the above has WIND (302490)/T-Mobile (310260 not 31026) then you have AWS support.

All the above requires root and S-OFF I believe.
    Got a reply from hTc :)

Dear ,

I see that you have questions regarding the HTC One X. I will be happy to answer those for you.

Although we cannot guarantee unlocking the One X to run on any carrier other than ATT will work, it seems as if you will be able to connect to the Edge network, make calls, and text. You will not receive LTE, 4G or even 3G speeds.

If you have any further questions, I will be happy to assist you.

I hope this information helps you, Mohamed. Have a great week!

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

William

HTC
    If you'd like to PM me when you're done, I'd like to write about it for the XDA Portal :)

Try to be as informative as possible lol, so I can better describe to others what you're doing