Google Play Services update breaks location accuracy

Search This thread

syl0n

Nov 3, 2010
Phone settings: Location : Battery Saving (GPS off, using Wifi/network location only)

On Google Play Services 4.0.x - I get very accurate location small circle around where my house is.

After updating to 4.2.25 - I get a large circle - maybe the radius of an entire block / surface area of a cell tower coverage roughly

Uninstall the update to play services (back to 4.0.x) - get very accurate location again.

I am using a RAZR HD with 4.4.2 kit kat thanks to CM11.

Is there a way to resolve this issue? Did play services update broke my specific phone?

I would stay on the older Play Services but Hangouts and Maps keep *****ing about needing to update it.

rkuijpers

Aug 3, 2010
Phone settings: Location : Battery Saving (GPS off, using Wifi/network location only)

On Google Play Services 4.0.x - I get very accurate location small circle around where my house is.

After updating to 4.2.25 - I get a large circle - maybe the radius of an entire block / surface area of a cell tower coverage roughly

Uninstall the update to play services (back to 4.0.x) - get very accurate location again.

I am using a RAZR HD with 4.4.2 kit kat thanks to CM11.

Is there a way to resolve this issue? Did play services update broke my specific phone?

I would stay on the older Play Services but Hangouts and Maps keep *****ing about needing to update it.

Same here, on a HTC One X running Slimkat... you're not the only one experiencing this! No solution found yet...

rkuijpers

Aug 3, 2010
Hmm, That's good to know. Do you have any other links to more information on it?

Here is one, look at the last posts:
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=57707

I've read more about it elsewhere, but as not everyone uses only network but mostly the more precise GPS for location purposes, most people probably won't even notice the problem exists [emoji6]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn One X met Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

It's not the same bug, that one was an issue almost a year ago [emoji41]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn One X met Tapatalk

fairasca

Jul 31, 2011
Same issue here. Network location appears to work (very low accuracy), but WiFi location doesn't. If Play Services update is uninstalled WiFi location works again.
It's a pain in the ass to use aviate or cover whitout network location working properly.

Phone: RAZR HD GSM XT925
ROM: CM11 nightly.

So... Any news?

Sorry for my english, it's not my native languaje.

Top Liked Posts