How do you Restore HTC ONE back to stock?

Search This thread

jae2014

Apr 16, 2014
Hi everyone I recently flashed a rom on my HTC one m8 for at&t (ViperOneM8_1.7.1 rom)
and I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction in terms of how to restore my phone back to
at&t stock?

I only have the bootloader unlocked and I have TWRP recovery. I didn't make a backup before I flashed the rom so I can't just restore back into stock.

Thank you for taking the time to read this if someone could at least point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

GermanGuy

Mar 19, 2005
Minneapolis
Hi everyone I recently flashed a rom on my HTC one m8 for at&t (ViperOneM8_1.7.1 rom)
and I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction in terms of how to restore my phone back to
at&t stock?

I only have the bootloader unlocked and I have TWRP recovery. I didn't make a backup before I flashed the rom so I can't just restore back into stock.

Thank you for taking the time to read this if someone could at least point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Here you go

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2721435

and here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2757462

Last edited:
Reactions: jae2014

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction in terms of how to restore my phone back to
at&t stock?

The question I ask is "for what purpose?"

AT&T does not require the phone to be stock in order to fulfill the warranty.

If you simply want to return to the stock AT&T ROM, just flash the stock rooted ROM.

Only valid reason IMO to return to stock is to sell/trade the device.

If you are keeping the device, I don't see a good reason to return to stock. The stock AT&T ROM is gimped, bloated trash. And the same holds true for any OTAs that will be released. Unlocked bootloader, with root and a custom ROM is far superior.

Reactions: jae2014

jae2014

Apr 16, 2014

If you simply want to return to the stock AT&T ROM, just flash the stock rooted ROM.

If you are keeping the device, I don't see a good reason to return to stock. The stock AT&T ROM is gimped, bloated trash. And the same holds true for any OTAs that will be released. Unlocked bootloader, with root and a custom ROM is far superior.

Thank you GermanGuy for the links!

Yeah I want to be able to go back to stock for whenever I sell/trade the device. Also, I was thinking about cancelling my AT&T plan and migrating my phone over to a different carrier like straight talk. I haven't done that before so I don't know if switching to a different carrier becomes harder if I am on a custom rom.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Yeah I want to be able to go back to stock for whenever I sell/trade the device. Also, I was thinking about cancelling my AT&T plan and migrating my phone over to a different carrier like straight talk. I haven't done that before so I don't know if switching to a different carrier becomes harder if I am on a custom rom.

The phone can never be returned to truly stock, in that once the bootloader is unlocked HTC will always have a record of that, linked to the phone's IMEI. Therefore, when selling or trading of the device, you should always disclose to potential buyers that the bootloader was unlocked. Although I agree even with this disclosure, some buyers may want the phone to be as stock as possible.

On some previous HTC devices, the SIM unlock code only worked on Sense based ROMs (but not AOSP) but it didn't matter if it was a custom or stock Sense ROM. I don't see any other reason why being on a custom ROM would affect you switching carriers. Its a smartphone, and works like any other regardless of whether its on a stock or custom ROM. In fact, being on a custom ROM may even make that experience easier, as custom ROMs tend to have multiple carrier APNs pre-configured; and also some features such as personal WiFi hotspot/tethering which are blocked by AT&T (without the proper data plan) are easier to get working on other carriers using a custom ROM.

In any case, the previously linked RUU is what you need to return to (close to) stock.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    at&t stock?

Here you go

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2721435

and here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2757462
    I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction in terms of how to restore my phone back to
    at&t stock?