SD card not shown

Search This thread

gurluver

Apr 19, 2005
Hanoi
Hi, since I upgraded my SPL to 1.54/1.56, i've tried installing both Dutty WM6.1 v2.9 and Mira WM6.5 v8.1 but neither of them seems to like my storage card, i have to do soft reset for it to recognise the card, but after a while the card will disappear again...
any1 got the same problem or know how to fix it please?
Thanks

Digital Outcast

Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2006
Woodstock, GA
Hi, since I upgraded my SPL to 1.54/1.56, i've tried installing both Dutty WM6.1 v2.9 and Mira WM6.5 v8.1 but neither of them seems to like my storage card, i have to do soft reset for it to recognise the card, but after a while the card will disappear again...
Thanks

I've seen one other user with the same issue. What type / brand of SD card are you using? Trying to narrow down what is causing this... he had the same issue with same rom(s).

gurluver

Apr 19, 2005
Hanoi
its the SanDisk 8GB SDHC one - one that came by default with Orange UK contract.
Btw, I did upgrade to the offcial 1.54/56 ROM before upgrading to the 2 ROMs above.

tnyynt

Retired Senior Moderator
Jun 18, 2007
its the SanDisk 8GB SDHC one - one that came by default with Orange UK contract.
Btw, I did upgrade to the offcial 1.54/56 ROM before upgrading to the 2 ROMs above.

Maybe it's got to do with the power management policies the Chef applied. Try to use schaps' Advanced Config 3.3 to disable SD Card Power Management and see if it helps.

Also, some caches and DMA could be the culprits but first let's see about power management.

gurluver

Apr 19, 2005
Hanoi
The Power Management is disabled.
Also, 1 thing I particularly noticed is when I open Windows Media player, attempt to update my library on storage card, it can find all my music files, but when it attempt to add the music to the library, it doesnt. and then the sd card disappear from File Explorer, WMP libary option.

xmsnx

Jan 5, 2008
Backup your sd card to your PC, and reformat it. Had the same problem, fixed with a format :)

incobra

Mar 27, 2005

I have the same SanDisk8GB SDHC one - default card which came with the phone. Same thing happned. It has become very slow to access, and practically useless, the phone cannot detect the card. If put into the computer with the adapter then also it is the same computer cannot read it or sometimes takes too long, cannot format. this happened after the 1.54/56 rom.

Last edited:

foulke

Sep 12, 2007
Rennes
Happened to me also with some custom ROM.
I used my warranty to exchange the SD card.
My advice : backup your SD card when you can, from time to time.

ryahia

Jan 23, 2008
Same Thing

Same thing happenned to my card. Same default card that came with the phone. But I have SPL 1.14 which I have had for a while now. I just flashed to a Miri ROM and it started happenning. I will try reformatting to see if it helps.

I've seen one other user with the same issue. What type / brand of SD card are you using? Trying to narrow down what is causing this... he had the same issue with same rom(s).

I am "others" :( too.

I tried every hint I could find on the forum including disabeling the SD card power management and setting the PnP values higher.

Nothing works (and I have a Apacer 8GB card)

For me it narrowed down to:

1) Hardware faulty or
2) Hardware cannot "cope" with 8GB .

I've called HTC in the US - which where very friendly brw - and the lady said that most handsets are only guaranteed / tested to work with 4GB cards, Although there are other handsets in other countries who where sold with an 8GB card as a bundle.

Today I called HTC "support" centre in "New Zealand" and the phillipin/indian/nepalese customer service lady told me that my handset had been parallel imported and therefore needs to be send back to the NETHERLANDS for a diagnosis / repair! :eek:

I told her that if she would'nt give the number of their authorised repair centre in NZ I might have to think to contact Ministry for consumer law. So I got the number and I will go there now, cheking what the story is..will keep you updated.

Thanks

[I said:
I doubt that the new SPL 1.54/1.56 is related to the SD card problem as I also downgraded to original HTC rom with spl1.14 and still have the same problem[/I]

EDIT: gurluver I think you're right! I downgraded my device now back to spl 1.14 and no problems anymore. As I am discussing this with crackwhore it seems that

1) some countries's touch hd might have a different hardware
2) however even though I have downgraded to official HTC ROM spl 1.14 (and the card is working fine then) as soon as I upgrade to offical and / or other spl 1.56 the problem appears again.

Conclusion: I have to go and (probaley argue) with HTC and see if they are willing to either fix it or send me a new device.

Will keep you posted

Last edited:

gurluver

Apr 19, 2005
Hanoi
so to sum up, i guess i'll have to try these when i have sometime, and see what happens after each step, and only go to next step if previous step works.

- restore to Orange UK ROM SPL 1.14
- upgrade to Official WWE SPL 1.54/56
- Try another 1.54/56 ROM.
- Format the card
- Install SD tune up

I'll report back here my result.

ryahia

Jan 23, 2008
update...

i have flashed my device several times, at least 15 times,.always using USB activesync, never thru the stotage card. I have v1.14 and I have never had a problem. After rebooting the phone a couple of times, I got my card to reappear today long enough to backup my stuff. Then I formatted the card, put it back in, loaded it up with the same files, and I havent had another problem, though its only been about 8 hours.

so to sum up, i guess i'll have to try these when i have sometime, and see what happens after each step, and only go to next step if previous step works.

- Format the card
- Install SD tune up

restore to orange UK ROM spl 1.14..and you will see that you will be sweet. After I upgraded to official SPL 1.54/56 it didnt work again..and I tried several versions (NDL; came with the phone , EUR & WWE)

I just think that its not right to be "stuck" with spl 1.14 in order to use or card...

Dizzle

Apr 13, 2006
SD Card Problem

I had this problem last night. Basically my card just disappeared from the file explorer. Could not connect it to disk drive mode or anything. Took the card out, re-inserted and the card would appear for a few seconds and then go again. Soft re-setted and it would appear for a bit then disappear.

Done a hard reset and the card still would only appear for a while until I tried to access it then it would disappear.

I eventually narrowed my problem down to something I had installed on the card which was MaxTTM. After deleting this folder from my card, it remained visible. Been working fine ever since. I didn’t have to delete my music or video files which make up around 6-7gb of my card. From now on I think I’ll install my software on the phone as opposed to memory card. My card is a 16gb Sandisk.

foulke

Sep 12, 2007
Rennes
When the problem happened to me, first, only some directories had disapeared. Or at leat I couldn't access to them.
Even with a µSd card reader on the PC.
I formated it with the storage tool, on the HD, because the PC would'nt see it.

A week later, I couldn't access to the card anymore. Neither on the HD, nor on the PC.

I concluded that the card was destroyed.
Hopefully it was still under warranty.

I don't blame the cooked ROM I was using. Maybe the SDtuneup with some parameters I entered with Advanced config tool did the mess.
Like power management.

My first SD corruption occured when the card was almost full, and I was downloding a file with Opera. In the meantime I plugged in my PC in mass storage mode. I recognize my error. But instead of simply having a file system corruption, why did it destroyed the card ?
Because after then, the card access was longer. Perhaps the system was trying to recover some bad sectors ? I'm working in phone industry, and we do a lot of tests on these kind of use cases. So I can't beleive HTC hardware isn't that robust.

In my case, it ended with a hardware destruction. Even on other devices (with other OS/ ROM) it also failed reading.
Bad luck with a weak µSD card ?

gurluver

Apr 19, 2005
Hanoi

- Format the card
- Install SD tune up

Card done these step - works fine on 1.14, breaks on Official WWE 1.54/56.

I guess any of us who have this problem should probably email HTC so they release a fix for this.

Perttir

Sep 22, 2005
I had also an old Sandisk 6 GB card and copied to it the content from 8 GB card (which came with HD). That solved my (SD disappering) problem !