Windows Phone 7.8 released, but Zune no reporting update. Here's how to trick Zune!

Search This thread

Zhariak

Aug 5, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Plugged in, Rogers on Lumia 900 here. Wouldn't detect update... Tried a bunch of times, no luck.

Then tried the old "disconnect trick" with Zune, ITS WORKING!!!! Already done 2 updates, hopefully 3rd is 7.8.

First Update (to):

Second Update (to):

Third Update (to):

Instructions here: http://www.stephenwagner.com/?p=660 and will be posting details as I progress!

Last edited:
Reactions: sa-10

nice pants

Mar 28, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I can confirm this works for AT&T Lumia 900's as well (or at least is in the process of working).

Update: Alright, I could only get it to install the first update... I'll keep trying.

Update 2: I was able to get the second update (which looks like 7.8 to me) to begin installing, by cycling the wireless off and on in 5-10 second intervals.

Version now shows 7.10.8858.136

Last edited:

white90box

May 12, 2012
Philadelphia
forget the tutorial try this
disconnect pc from internet
open wifi on phone
try update and fter 5secs enable airplane mode

This worked for me. I was about to give up. I was having trouble timing it. Might have to do with connection speed. I turned on airplane mode right before hitting update. Thank you!

So, after my first update I am at 7.10.8783.12

updating to 7.10.8858.136 now!

Last edited:
Reactions: sa-10 and Laquox

Laquox

Apr 2, 2011
open wifi on phone

This worked for me. I was about to give up. I was having trouble timing it. Might have to do with connection speed. I turned on airplane mode right before hitting update. Thank you!

I have had to use the disconnect trick since nodo and it's always annoyed me because the timing is so messed up. I don't know if it was by coincidence or what but you two made it work on the first try. :victory:

citats

Dec 29, 2005
Oshawa
This trick has never failed me... once the update is verified for a carrier patience will win the day and an update before most others...
Persistence will be rewarded... also on Rogers in Tdot
;)

JaiCameron

Jul 18, 2010
trick isn't working for me and I don't have the patience to keep this **** up all night, guess I'm gonna sit here and wait annoyed until it pushes.

nandesho

Nov 4, 2009
Houston
Just keep at it!! I've got an ATT 900 and only had to do the update trick twice. The first time I got it first try, second took me about 30 min of trying!! WELL WORTH IT!!

Reactions: ramseyjack

JaiCameron

Jul 18, 2010
If I keep trying and failing I'm gonna get more agitated to the point where I begin breaking things(around 15 attempts)......if I sit here annoyed at least I'm calm about it.

antigenx

Oct 23, 2010
The trick is that the internet disconnect has to happen at a certain key point during the update check. My phone took longer than usual to kill the wifi so, for me, turning on airplane mode first and then clicking update a few seconds later worked.

pk-air

Jan 22, 2012
Denver, CO
FOr whom trick didn't work watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmout6C1uFI
Here is how to trick Zune. Worked for me! You have to do it 3 times to get all updates.
1 you'll get update done run trick again
2 update done run trick again
3 update and you are on WP7.8
Actually 3 time udpate should start automatically after second is done. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: sa-10

JaiCameron

Jul 18, 2010
Here is how to trick Zune. Worked for me! You have to do it 3 times to get all updates.

exact same method as all the other ones posted just a different execution, btw this didn't work for me.

sa-10

Nov 22, 2007
That's much easier, Thanks!

This one I had to repeat for each update but it was much easier, as noted from another user, I the wait was giving me issue, so they only change was in timing,after hitting airplane mode, I immediately clicked update.

I had to repeat it for each update, it completed each time telling me it was safe to unplug phone, I left it plugged in. One update was the Nokia update and it was small BUT TOOK A LONG TIME, i wonder if this one was replacing the bootloader as it stayed on waiting to reboot phone for a good while with the phone looking like it was off.

Those without the patience to wait, DONT DO IT, as if you unplug....BRICK! Patience is required.

open wifi on phone

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

My small aDSL line has 40ms latency and was 6mbit free at the time, so I had to hit airplane mode then immediately click update.

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Since Zune can jack tether from PC to phone, why cant we?

Seems highly possible if zune is able to Jack tether through the phone why cannot a small app be created to do the same to run on Win/Android/iOS/Chrome?

Anyone else ever wonder? Weird aint it?

Mar 13, 2013
EItals manner

The fourth update is 7.10.8862.144...I am unable to do it. If you succeed please let me know. At least with Zune its not working for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    open wifi on phone
    open wifi on phone

Plugged in, Rogers on Lumia 900 here. Wouldn't detect update... Tried a bunch of times, no luck.

Then tried the old "disconnect trick" with Zune, ITS WORKING!!!! Already done 2 updates, hopefully 3rd is 7.8.

First Update (to):

Second Update (to):

Third Update (to):

Instructions here: http://www.stephenwagner.com/?p=660 and will be posting details as I progress!
    Just keep at it!! I've got an ATT 900 and only had to do the update trick twice. The first time I got it first try, second took me about 30 min of trying!! WELL WORTH IT!!
    FOr whom trick didn't work watch this