Updates post-root, without bricking? (kitkat update used a recovery image?)

Search This thread

celticpride34

Mar 23, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm picking up my Note 3 on Tuesday. Gonna stay on the stock firmware out of the box, no OTAs will be allowed. Gonna root with Kingo. I dont wanna mess with recoveries or anything other than disabling software update to prevent kitkat from being pushed. I realize it could be an advantage however as I could then in the future use the 4.4.2 update as a type of recovery image, if I need to send it in for service or sell it. I know about sammobile and all other "offical" stock tars floating around but they arent really from Samsung. They dont even release recovery images for the dev edition! Kingo wont trip knox and I wont be modifying any system apps (I may even opt with using a permission denying app to block SDM from having network access, instead of freezing it, as it's less aggressive). I will make an ADB backup pre-root and restore it before updating as well.

If the time comes I could use Kingo or Superuser to unroot, wanam to fake the status as offical, adb restore and have the samsung experience store guys flash kitkat or use the OTA which, assuredly, would remove any and all traces of root. Sounds divine.

So will the update process, whether from the Samsung guys or OTA brick my phone if I do it? I should have everything removed by doing it this way. I don't like the idea of messing with all these different recovery tars as they arent 100% official. Just wanna make sure the Sammy update wont brick it, because it knows, somehow.

recDNA

Aug 24, 2011
I'm in the same boat though worse off than you since I don't know how to do an adb backup. Sounds to me like Kitkat sucks and I just want to stay stock mje and block updates.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Reilly1812

Nov 23, 2011
West Long Branch, NJ
There is nothing in the kitkat update that's essential. I know because I have it on my Nexus 10 and I wish I didn't. Rooted with SDM and bloat frozen. Will not update until they give me a really good reason to.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

celticpride34

Mar 23, 2010
Yeah I agree with everything here. Kitkat totally sucks and I'm gonna stay on 4.3 for the duration of my phones life. But my question is, are we able, after rooting, to update officially to kitkat, be it an OTA or going to a samsung store and having them flash (without bricking it). I'm asking because I think it'd be a flawless way of reverting "back" (forward actually, from 4.3) to a genuine Samsung system after root. This would solve warranty worries or selling the device as rooted problems. The update would serve as a recovery image or the ultimate unrooting tool.

Just curious if it will brick the phone if done. If I need warranty service or to sell it, I dont want to go the sammobile odin route or any of the other "official" tars, because they're not 100% genuine. If we don't modify the stock rom and can use something like wanam to fake the sytem status and Knox isnt tripped, why would it not take the update perfectly? All this caution, an ADB pre-root restore and I'm pretty sure/hoping it would work wonderfully to get to a genuine samsung status, post root, for selling or service needs. Just need some clarification if it would actually work or bork the phone with an "unauthorize software detected" screen.

recDNA

Aug 24, 2011
If kingo unroot works just unroot then accept the update no?

celticpride34

Mar 23, 2010
If kingo unroot works just unroot then accept the update no?

It'd be nice but from what I understand the update does some kind of checking to see how/what you modified. Kingo doesnt trip knox but any root with change the system status as "modified" instead of "official", which could interfere with updates. There is a well kown "unauthorized software detected" sign that comes up sometimes after update attempts. Not sure what triggers it though. Unrooting via Kingo doesnt nessisarily remove 100% of the root. This is what we'd use the KitKat update for, unless, it bricks it somehow because it's able to detect that you once rooted. But if you were cautious, didnt mod much, didnt mess with system files, did an adb restore and faked the system status with wanam, it's plausible to think you could accept an update afterwords without issues. But also, Im not sure if wanam will be able to fake the status after you unroot...

recDNA

Aug 24, 2011
I don't want to take the update. I will disable the updater files once rooted. otherwise, i remain stock. when the time comes reenable updater files and immediately run kingo unroot. presto, all mods gone. now accept update. that wont work?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

celticpride34

Mar 23, 2010
I don't want to take the update. I will disable the updater files once rooted. otherwise, i remain stock. when the time comes reenable updater files and immediately run kingo unroot. presto, all mods gone. now accept update. that wont work?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

This is what I'm trying to ascertain. I've read things that the unroot via kingo doesnt actually remove the binaries, it only unsinstalls superuser. There still might be some traces of it on there, and the update will see this and youll get this message after boot, post update: (a verizon induced soft brick for having a modified system before update)

http://www.s3forums.com/forum/attac...d-help-bad-uploadfromtaptalk1349867775446.jpg

Kingo even told me via their facebook when I asked about it, "There is a big chance that you cannot update your device via OTA. Rooting means you tampered your device. Even your KNOX stays un-triggered, you device status will turn from "official" to "custom". If you wanna back to the "official", you should use kies/Odin to flash back the stock ROM," which is not what I want, seeing as how the firmware from sammobile and others like it arent 100% genuine from Sammy. When you unroot, it will still say modified system, even if knox isnt tripped. The updates check this. You can use wanam to "fake system status" but if you unroot first, you lose wanam functionality and if you update when you're still rooted theres no way itll take.

Just trying to hash it out as it'd be the perfect way to restore to official stock, if need be. Not having the ability makes it pretty scary to do on a phone I paid $750 for. So we're between a rock and a kitkat. I really dont want that ****ty update either. But not having a sure fire way back, it sucks.

Does anybody know about using a samsung store to update from 4.3 to 4.4.2 after unrooting? I'm assuming they use Odin to flash and actually have the official firmwares. I'd feel better about going about it that way because so far I see a lot of warnings about OTA's (even after "unrooting"). Curious if that way would work without soft bricking your phone with the verizon warning.

Last edited:

recDNA

Aug 24, 2011
Thanks for the 411. I also paid full price for my note 3 but I never intend to sell it. It will be a great wifi tablet. I'm always disappointed with value of smartphones after a year of use.

celticpride34

Mar 23, 2010
Thanks for the 411. I also paid full price for my note 3 but I never intend to sell it. It will be a great wifi tablet. I'm always disappointed with value of smartphones after a year of use.

No problem. I don't worry so much about selling it, I can sell it on Swappa as they dont care about root. But for warranty purposes, it sucks. If something happens and we have to send it back and they find that it's been rooted or modified, they will not service it. It'd just be nice to have this card to play in order to get it back to a "trustworthy" genuine firmware. I'll insure mine though so yeah, spare wifi tablet I suppose. Just sucks the replacement will more than likely be refurbished.

Yeah, it's a great phone though. Are you gonna take any updates for it before rooting (not ****kat, obviously), or gonna root it out of the box (MJ9 software, I believe)? Just curious. I just don't trust Samsung's updates any more.

Last edited:

recDNA

Aug 24, 2011
I never planned to root. I'm in mje latest update. I don't trust Kingo nor Vroot. That is why I never rooted. Kitkat sounds so horrible I feel compelled to root but I still don't trust available exploits. Like you said, a rock and a hard place... Just like a new NBA coach trying to make his bones yet score a good draft pick. LOL

celticpride34

Mar 23, 2010
Ruins easy access to SD card for one thing. S pen problems, some apps don't work etc.

hahahahah!!! Stevens will be a great coach in a few years. Doc is a very very bad man. Hopefully we land Wiggins (or Parker). I'm on the fence about rooting too but from what I can tell Kingo is legit and worked for many people. the questiom is why dont they monitize it? thats scary to me.

So do you just deal with the software update popup by continually pressing home or back? if you defer it, after 4 times it installs on its own. same thing with rejecting it. I cant believe they don't give us control over our phones updstes (without rooting)! Hopefuly Verizon wont get it for a while.

There's a confirmed battery bug for kitkat ( on the nexus 5 atleast), the sd issue, a litany of instability, potentially, and the biggest deal with it: it breaks free wifi tethering and supposedly there will never be a way for developers to get arpund it. Yeah: I realllllyyy don't want that "update". If it aint broke...you know.

recDNA

Aug 24, 2011
I don't know what I'll do yet. Sd card handling is an integral part of Kitkat and vzw won't improve it. Once the first announcement of imminent update occurs I will have to decide what to do.
I'm rooting for Celtics losses and I wish Ainje traded Rondo. I think we need a new team. I don't think Rondo will be a great influence on a young team.

celticpride34

Mar 23, 2010
I don't know what I'll do yet. Sd card handling is an integral part of Kitkat and vzw won't improve it. Once the first announcement of imminent update occurs I will have to decide what to do.
I'm rooting for Celtics losses and I wish Ainje traded Rondo. I think we need a new team. I don't think Rondo will be a great influence on a young team.

HAhahahaha, I'm wiith you on all pages man. I would've stayed with my II but 4.3 is horrible on it and I'm really interested in the new Gear 2 watch which requires 4.3. Ironically 4.1.2 works like a BEAST on it but it wont support the gear 2. Samsung is fully turning into apple. If you do decide to root or find another way around the software updates, please let me know. I'll do the same for you. Kingo is one of the only ones that doesnt trip Knox but it's all but worthless if we cant get the system status back to "official" or get the kitkat update to install. Such a headache. Be careful with that software update popup, it's super consistent. Such a crazy way to have to use a flagship device. Most every time you press home, it pops back up. I found out that you can disable google services framework and that will prevent the update, but you also loose gmail, google play, you tube, maps and any other google app. Unbelievable.

There needs to be more NBA talk on XDA, lol. Danny has long since worn out his welcome. Still cant believe how he treated Pierce. I agree with the Rondo sentiment, wholeheartedly. His stock is falling as his athleticism fades as well. We need to blow up the team basically. I hope we resign AB, but I wont be shocked if he walks. We'll never get rid of Wallace's contract. Sully can be really good if he keeps healthy and developing. I used to love Green but now...I think we should deal him NOW. He clearly cant handle having the reigns and he takes way too many threes. Ironically enough Gerald Green is killing it for Phoenix right now?! Hoping for those ping pong balls too man. Hopefully we dont get screwed in the draft.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything.

Cheers--

Last edited:
Reactions: recDNA

anthony92170

May 17, 2010
lancaster ny
There is nothing in the kitkat update that's essential. I know because I have it on my Nexus 10 and I wish I didn't. Rooted with SDM and bloat frozen. Will not update until they give me a really good reason to.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tablet and phone are 2 different things. Also each phone and tablet are not getting the exact kit kat. little things different but not the same action

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

celticpride34

Mar 23, 2010
tablet and phone are 2 different things. Also each phone and tablet are not getting the exact kit kat. little things different but not the same action

So you're not hesitant to update to kitkat on your note? If not, can I ask what features of enhancements in it make you wish to update to it? it is confirmed that sd write access for 3rd party apps and free wifi tethering apps have disabled, for some thats a big deal. If it's anything like other updates it has the potential to cripple the phones battery life and performance. 4.3 ruined my note 2 and the replacement 2 as well, losing around 2 hours of battery life on each. I'm hesitant to trust them again. With every update it seems things get worse, not better. and I cant see any huge features that would make me wanna jump from 4.3.

Reactions: recDNA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

HAhahahaha, I'm wiith you on all pages man. I would've stayed with my II but 4.3 is horrible on it and I'm really interested in the new Gear 2 watch which requires 4.3. Ironically 4.1.2 works like a BEAST on it but it wont support the gear 2. Samsung is fully turning into apple. If you do decide to root or find another way around the software updates, please let me know. I'll do the same for you. Kingo is one of the only ones that doesnt trip Knox but it's all but worthless if we cant get the system status back to "official" or get the kitkat update to install. Such a headache. Be careful with that software update popup, it's super consistent. Such a crazy way to have to use a flagship device. Most every time you press home, it pops back up. I found out that you can disable google services framework and that will prevent the update, but you also loose gmail, google play, you tube, maps and any other google app. Unbelievable.

There needs to be more NBA talk on XDA, lol. Danny has long since worn out his welcome. Still cant believe how he treated Pierce. I agree with the Rondo sentiment, wholeheartedly. His stock is falling as his athleticism fades as well. We need to blow up the team basically. I hope we resign AB, but I wont be shocked if he walks. We'll never get rid of Wallace's contract. Sully can be really good if he keeps healthy and developing. I used to love Green but now...I think we should deal him NOW. He clearly cant handle having the reigns and he takes way too many threes. Ironically enough Gerald Green is killing it for Phoenix right now?! Hoping for those ping pong balls too man. Hopefully we dont get screwed in the draft.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything.

Cheers--

So you're not hesitant to update to kitkat on your note? If not, can I ask what features of enhancements in it make you wish to update to it? it is confirmed that sd write access for 3rd party apps and free wifi tethering apps have disabled, for some thats a big deal. If it's anything like other updates it has the potential to cripple the phones battery life and performance. 4.3 ruined my note 2 and the replacement 2 as well, losing around 2 hours of battery life on each. I'm hesitant to trust them again. With every update it seems things get worse, not better. and I cant see any huge features that would make me wanna jump from 4.3.