AT&T Asus Padfone X Unlock

Search This thread

ohsirus

Feb 24, 2011
The only way that you'll be able to do this is by buying the device outright (off contract) and then requesting a SIM unlock from AT&T. Otherwise, you're going to have to buy the device and wait a minimum of 3 months before you can get it unlocked.

That is precisely what I did and my plan was. After calling they said I need to have 6 months of active service before they will give it time me. I am looking for other options

Reactions: nt3rp

XyonNYC

Jan 23, 2009
New York
Root?

Besides unlocking this device, is there any word about rooting floating around for AT&T's Asus Padfone X?

dotnetguyaz

Sep 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
That is precisely what I did and my plan was. After calling they said I need to have 6 months of active service before they will give it time me. I am looking for other options

6 months now???!!! That's ridiculous. I get that they are trying to maintain exclusivity with the device (which is just plain stupid, imho), but 6 months of service???

I absolutely love mine, but not enough to have to deal with those terms. Sorry mate.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Besides unlocking this device, is there any word about rooting floating around for AT&T's Asus Padfone X?

Towelroot works perfectly. However, don't expect too much. I rotted mine and went about changing the launcher and such and completely borked the device. I had to do a factory reset on it. Seems that Dynamic Display relies heavily on the ASUS Launcher.

Reactions: XyonNYC

ohsirus

Feb 24, 2011
6 months now???!!! That's ridiculous. I get that they are trying to maintain exclusivity with the device (which is just plain stupid, imho), but 6 months of service???

I absolutely love mine, but not enough to have to deal with those terms. Sorry mate.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Towelroot works perfectly. However, don't expect too much. I rotted mine and went about changing the launcher and such and completely borked the device. I had to do a factory reset on it. Seems that Dynamic Display relies heavily on the ASUS Launcher.

I got a friend that has ATT to check it out. They were ok with him unlocking it because he does have service with them :rolleyes: however they couldnt register the IMEI because they need proof of use on their network before they will give out the code. The dont want someone to just by a device and automatically take it to another network. Legere was right the other day.. They will rape you and they are greedy bastards.

If I paid full retail no discounts for a device I should be able to do whatever I want with it. You made your money off me already. Let me do what I please :eek:

jzsidebott

Apr 23, 2011
The only way that you'll be able to do this is by buying the device outright (off contract) and then requesting a SIM unlock from AT&T. Otherwise, you're going to have to buy the device and wait a minimum of 3 months before you can get it unlocked.

3 month rule does not apply to ATT. You have to wait for the duration of the contract or pay off the phone if you are on the next program.

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

I got a friend that has ATT to check it out. They were ok with him unlocking it because he does have service with them :rolleyes: however they couldnt register the IMEI because they need proof of use on their network before they will give out the code. The dont want someone to just by a device and automatically take it to another network. Legere was right the other day.. They will rape you and they are greedy bastards.

If I paid full retail no discounts for a device I should be able to do whatever I want with it. You made your money off me already. Let me do what I please :eek:

The phone does not have to be on your account for 60 days. You just have to be an att subscriber and the account in good standing for 60 days. They cannot provide a code to a non att subscriber. mainly because it doesn't work that way. You can get the full details about device unlock at Http://www.att.com/deviceunlock

DTR204

Jan 26, 2011
Wilmington
Exceptions can be made for certain customers that must travel internationally...specifically for military, or goodwill/missionary work. If your convincing enough you can get it done

b22ri22an

I had a lengthy conversation with AT&T as well as a BBB complaint filed against them for just this reason.

A subsidy lock is placed on all devices regardless if it is subsidized or not. They will provide an unlock code only if you meet their ransom demand of 3 full months of promptly paid service on the device in question on their network after paying full retail value for the handset. At that point you can request an unlock code and in 5 to 10 business days you will receive the unlock code by email. So basically you can finally migrate to T-Mobile or another carrier with the device after about 100 days of ownership of a device with an average expected usage of only 365 days.

when speaking to a representative from the office of the president of AT&T Mobility in regards to the BBB complaint I was told this and I quote verbatim what was told to me "If you don't like our terms for sale of an AT&T branded headset you can always choose to buy from another company with terms more favorable to you."

ed_istheword

Dec 18, 2013
Is unlocking going to be very effective on other US networks?
I mean, if it can barely call/text and would have poor to no LTE/usable mobile data, is it really going to be worthwhile to unlock? That's been the problem with importing previous Padfone models, and I find it hard to believe that an AT&T-exclusive device would be much different...

Granted, I hope that's not the case, because my AT&T contract is almost up and I really need a device upgrade...

Twotems

Feb 7, 2014
Vivo Nex
Is unlocking going to be very effective on other US networks?
I mean, if it can barely call/text and would have poor to no LTE/usable mobile data, is it really going to be worthwhile to unlock? That's been the problem with importing previous Padfone models, and I find it hard to believe that an AT&T-exclusive device would be much different...

Granted, I hope that's not the case, because my AT&T contract is almost up and I really need a device upgrade...

It should work perfectly on other US networks. Imported models don't have the necessary data frequencies for all US networks (especially Tmobile). I'm buying the padfone e (dual sim, quadband wcdma) and using it as my backup phone and primary tablet. I'll use my K910 as a hotspot if I really need mobile data but my tablets are primarily used on wifi.

ed_istheword

Dec 18, 2013
It should work perfectly on other US networks. Imported models don't have the necessary data frequencies for all US networks (especially Tmobile). I'm buying the padfone e (dual sim, quadband wcdma) and using it as my backup phone and primary tablet. I'll use my K910 as a hotspot if I really need mobile data but my tablets are primarily used on wifi.

But how do we actually know if it'll work well? Do we have access to the white sheets, or some other listing of it's supported frequencies?
It just seems like, if it's only on AT&T in the US, then it's probably built for AT&T and less compatible than we'd like.

Last edited:

italk

Aug 5, 2007
any hope for non at customers?

I just padfone x and I'm looking for a way to unlock it. I'm not an art customer (T-Mobile). I ve tried unlocking websites but no one has been able to do it. Help!?

hpcorona

Jan 2, 2012
Mexicali
I just padfone x and I'm looking for a way to unlock it. I'm not an art customer (T-Mobile). I ve tried unlocking websites but no one has been able to do it. Help!?

I could only find Unlookitnow, but dont' Know if it works... l ended up ordering a Padfone S instead

Sent from my ASUS_T00N using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ohsirus

Feb 24, 2011
As previously advised I am a Tmo customer I used a friends ATT account as a means to get around the unlocking. After about a 1 1/2 months of having ATT open cases and reviewing the account to have it unlocked, it did get unlocked.

This was not an easy feat at all. Literally took calling in almost every other day, speaking with "supervisors/managers" making many complaints to have it resolved.

The concept is annoying that I have to but the device full price and cant do what I want with my device. Glad the unlocking bill was passed even though there will still be a lot of red tape from carriers to get codes.

I am using Tmo LTE and havent had any data issues w/ us bands. Again it was a process, however I ddnt have to spend anymore than what I paid for the device and grateful for my friend for helping me with that.

Vissionary84

Aug 7, 2014
I can't seem to root mine

Yes it is rootable i have rooted and unrooted a asus padfone x successfully as i am using my warranty tomorrow :b

How? I have the pre-june 3 kernel, and my padfone is att of course and towelroot won't work. It says device not supported. I'm not quite sure what the problem is. I've seen plenty of posts from ppl saying theirs rooted without a hitch. Any suggestions? 4.3.3 kitkat.

Shagman68

Apr 11, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
As previously advised I am a Tmo customer I used a friends ATT account as a means to get around the unlocking. After about a 1 1/2 months of having ATT open cases and reviewing the account to have it unlocked, it did get unlocked.

This was not an easy feat at all. Literally took calling in almost every other day, speaking with "supervisors/managers" making many complaints to have it resolved.

The concept is annoying that I have to but the device full price and cant do what I want with my device. Glad the unlocking bill was passed even though there will still be a lot of red tape from carriers to get codes.

I am using Tmo LTE and havent had any data issues w/ us bands. Again it was a process, however I ddnt have to spend anymore than what I paid for the device and grateful for my friend for helping me with that.

Now that it has been a few months, is it still working good on T-Mobile LTE and HSPA+ networks? Speedtest.net speeds?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello .. Has anyone found a great method to unlock the AT&T Asus Padfone X Unlock?
    *Unlock code

I am wanting to take this to T-mobile