[Q] Titanium Backup question

Search This thread

mrwormburn

Oct 1, 2013
Hey all,

Search around, and I have yet to find the answer. Sorry if this is a normal titanium thing, but this is the first time I use it, and, again, for the life of me I can't find something explaining this - not even TB's FAQ.

So I just used it since I had my S3 replaced under warranty. I backed all my apps to an SD card, and when I went to restore them I noticed that the bigger apps got placed on the SD card by default. I didn't want them there, so, no problem, I put the titanium backup folder contents on the device/emulated storage and took the SD card out. I then uninstalled/reinstalled these apps, but thing is, no matter how many times I do this, it says the contents of these apps are mostly on my SD card in the system's Application Manager.

Obviously, this cannot be the case since the SD card is no longer physically in the phone, but I'm very curious and it does bug me a tiny bit - the not knowing/understanding. According to titanium, however, it does say the apps are on the phone itself (it displays the phone icon for the app instead of the SD icon). But yeah, in the Application Manager list, apps like Plants vs Zombies 2, which used to be ~350MB on the App Manager list, now show up as only 25.15MB. When I click for the details (App info screen), I'll get something like:

Total.....................381MB

Application...........24.90MB

SD card app..........354MB

Data......................256KB

SD card data..........1.37MB

I am used to seeing something small in the "SD card data" part for all apps regardless though. Like ones I've installed straight from the Play Store. But never on the "SD cardapp" since I never care to have one in my phone. So, is this just some odd feature of restoring with Titanium? In other words, is this usual? I should mention, all my apps work fine though. Like not missing a single beat save that it just says they are somewhere they cannot physically be. Did I perhaps restore them in some unconventional way (I don't think I did; I just followed a great Youtube tutorial on how to use titanium)? Anyone else's apps display like this sans te SD card? Perhaps I'm worried about nothing, but I'd just like to understand. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mtsprite

Oct 2, 2013
Houston
Hey all,

Search around, and I have yet to find the answer. Sorry if this is a normal titanium thing, but this is the first time I use it, and, again, for the life of me I can't find something explaining this - not even TB's FAQ.

So I just used it since I had my S3 replaced under warranty. I backed all my apps to an SD card, and when I went to restore them I noticed that the bigger apps got placed on the SD card by default. I didn't want them there, so, no problem, I put the titanium backup folder contents on the device/emulated storage and took the SD card out. I then uninstalled/reinstalled these apps, but thing is, no matter how many times I do this, it says the contents of these apps are mostly on my SD card in the system's Application Manager.

Obviously, this cannot be the case since the SD card is no longer physically in the phone, but I'm very curious and it does bug me a tiny bit - the not knowing/understanding. According to titanium, however, it does say the apps are on the phone itself (it displays the phone icon for the app instead of the SD icon). But yeah, in the Application Manager list, apps like Plants vs Zombies 2, which used to be ~350MB on the App Manager list, now show up as only 25.15MB. When I click for the details (App info screen), I'll get something like:

I am used to seeing something small in the "SD card data" part for all apps regardless though. Like ones I've installed straight from the Play Store. But never on the "SD cardapp" since I never care to have one in my phone. So, is this just some odd feature of restoring with Titanium? In other words, is this usual? I should mention, all my apps work fine though. Like not missing a single beat save that it just says they are somewhere they cannot physically be. Did I perhaps restore them in some unconventional way (I don't think I did; I just followed a great Youtube tutorial on how to use titanium)? Anyone else's apps display like this sans te SD card? Perhaps I'm worried about nothing, but I'd just like to understand. Thanks!

that is odd, but if the apps are working fine then i dont see a problem. It might just be a bug with TB itself. Also TB does do some compression to the apps it backs up so that might be why that file you mentioned was so much smaller.

Reactions: mrwormburn

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
It's probably a quirk of the way Google changed the mount pointers to all storage in 4.3 and above. Now all locations are "emulated" in the Android OS. This doesn't always agree with the way individual apps handle storage. Google doesn't really acknowledge "external" SD cards because the hardware doesn't exist on Google devices such as the Nexus 5, 7 ,10 etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrwormburn

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all,

that is odd, but if the apps are working fine then i dont see a problem. It might just be a bug with TB itself. Also TB does do some compression to the apps it backs up so that might be why that file you mentioned was so much smaller.
    It's probably a quirk of the way Google changed the mount pointers to all storage in 4.3 and above. Now all locations are "emulated" in the Android OS. This doesn't always agree with the way individual apps handle storage. Google doesn't really acknowledge "external" SD cards because the hardware doesn't exist on Google devices such as the Nexus 5, 7 ,10 etc.