CRT Anim + Desktop UA String + SIP + SMS + Langs (Updated 5/12)

Search This thread

sangreal06

Sep 9, 2010
Been messing around with the framework-res.apk today after seeing some posts about the lock screen animation. Obviously this is pretty unfocused but I figured I'd share my results anyway in case anyone else wanted to mess around.

Lock Animation

Neat I guess, but it only works in Portrait mode.

User Agent String
I changed the UA String in the browser to get around the about:debug nonsense. It now reports as:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Intel Mac OSX 10_6_3; 3.0.1; en-us; Xoom Build/HR166) AppleWebKit/534.13 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/534.13

SMS Support
8E4ngl.jpg

This one was worth it just to get the stupid MyVerizon password. Works for outgoing and incoming but you have to install an SMS App. This will also allow you to enable your Xoom's phone number with Google Voice. Data charges apply.

Voice Support
MzMRVl.jpg

I'm able to make calls using Google Voice but I have no idea if it is an IP call or what. Obviously I have no minutes on my plan. Note: The mic/speaker doesn't currently work so this is useless unless you use the SIP phone. I might look into this when I have time, for people connecting their Xoom's to other networks with voice plans.

SIP Phone
RHmLEl.jpg

Build-in SIP client.

Installation
Replace the framework-res.apk in /system/framework/ with the file attached and reboot. For whatever reason this might cause your accounts and Wallpaper to get removed. Requires Root. Make sure to back up your framework-res.apk. You'll probably need it the next time an update rolls out. Don't blame me if this breaks anything, but let me know if you see any issues (especially with date formatting).

To-Do: I'd like to fix the contacts app when Phone is enabled

Update 5/8:
Added UA String fix for US/CAN WiFi. (Untested)
Rebuilt UA String fix for VZW 3G using my new tool
All versions have the language strings from CAN WiFi

Update 5/12
3.1 Support for 3g VZW XOOM. (Use this if you updated using bigrushdog's method)
Removed previous files
Language Support is only partial. I do not have the new 3.1 language strings other than EN/ES so a few things will be English. Also, individual apps still need to support other languages (Settings, for example)

Update 2 - 5/12
3.1 US WiFi Support (Do not use this if you updated using bigrushdog's method)

Files:
full - CRT, SIP, SMS, UAString
uastring - UAString

I cannot help you with custom combinations or different models unless I have the framework-res.apk from your model

Attachments

• framework-res-uastring-3GVZW-3_1.apk
    5 MB · Views: 3,124
  • framework-res-full-3GVZW-3_1.apk
    5 MB · Views: 6,895
  • framework-res-uastring-USWIFI-3_1.apk
    5 MB · Views: 2,375
Last edited:

jwtyler

Nov 7, 2010
Right. Already did. :) Now Imma try it out. Got distracted by trying to hack ad hoc tethering.

jwtyler

Nov 7, 2010
What Gvoice apk are you using? The Tegra one from Cyanogen Wiki force closes on me. So no joy there. Looking for handcent or something to test that.

jwtyler

Nov 7, 2010
Worked for me except call had no audio. Going to try a hands free set see if that works. Off to bed now.

PaulG1488

Jun 25, 2009
The texts I've sent haven't shown up in my verizon yet and if they do ill call and say there is no way for me to send with this lol

sangreal06

Sep 9, 2010
Root explorer should work fine

Works but calls don't have any audio

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing. I think it is an issue with GV because I enabled the SIP client and the audio works fine in the phone app for SIP calls. I'll look into it when I have time later.

Fyi texts are pay per use charges. Just checked my verizon app.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

If you use a client like handcent there is a per-use charge, but if you configure your number with Google Voice and use that for sms it should be free I think.

idkwhothatis123

Oct 16, 2010
Root explorer should work fine

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing. I think it is an issue with GV because I enabled the SIP client and the audio works fine in the phone app for SIP calls. I'll look into it when I have time later.

If you use a client like handcent there is a per-use charge, but if you configure your number with Google Voice and use that for sms it should be free I think.

Just sent like 20 SMS via gv. Nothing has shown up. Good looking out.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

dimitri407

Jun 19, 2007
Can I ask how you were able to decompile the apk? I was trying this yesterday but couldn't find the dependee. And it errored out when just trying to decompile it without a dependee.

drhill

Apr 29, 2010
Nice. How about for wifi only Xoom users? ;)

Also, is it possible to add the Gingerbread overscroll glow in the framework-res?

sangreal06

Sep 9, 2010
Sorry, I've never used XUltimate or APKManager but most of those tools are wrappers around apktool/baksmali/smali so you can probably drop in updated jars.

Nice. How about for wifi only Xoom users? ;)

Also, is it possible to add the Gingerbread overscroll glow in the framework-res?

Sorry, I don't have a wifi xoom (or its framework-res.apk) but someone else could do it. Any more info on the overscroll glow? I don't have an android phone

did you just setup your sip or did you have it already for a while?

I have a voip provider I use for my home phone so I used their SIP service but I just set it up on the xoom if that is what you mean. I mentioned it in the GV thread, but there is an option in framework-res to enable the built-in SIP client, which seems to work fine:

RHmLEl.jpg

I think I left it disabled in the file I posted in the OP, but I can upload it if anyone wants to try it.

Here are the settings I am currently using:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<resources>
<bool name="config_statusBarCanHide">true</bool>
<bool name="config_sf_limitedAlpha">false</bool>
<bool name="config_sf_slowBlur">true</bool>
<bool name="config_closeDialogWhenTouchOutside">false</bool>
<bool name="config_emulateExternalStorage">true</bool>
<bool name="config_caseSensitiveExternalStorage">false</bool>
<bool name="config_externalStorageRemovable">false</bool>
<bool name="config_tether_dun_required">true</bool>
<bool name="config_wifi_dual_band_support">true</bool>
<bool name="config_bypass_keyguard_if_slider_open">true</bool>
<bool name="config_automatic_brightness_available">true</bool>
<bool name="config_annoy_dianne">true</bool>
<bool name="config_unplugTurnsOnScreen">false</bool>
<bool name="config_animateScreenLights">false</bool>
<bool name="config_allowAllRotations">true</bool>
<bool name="config_reverseDefaultRotation">false</bool>
<bool name="config_deskDockEnablesAccelerometer">false</bool>
<bool name="config_carDockEnablesAccelerometer">true</bool>
<bool name="config_batterySdCardAccessibility">false</bool>
<bool name="config_hasUsbHostSupport">true</bool>
<bool name="config_use_strict_phone_number_comparation">false</bool>
<bool name="config_disableMenuKeyInLockScreen">false</bool>
<bool name="config_enableSlidingTabFirst">true</bool>
<bool name="config_enableLockScreenRotation">false</bool>
<bool name="config_swipeDisambiguation">true</bool>
<bool name="config_filterTouchEvents">false</bool>
<bool name="config_filterJumpyTouchEvents">false</bool>
<bool name="config_bluetooth_sco_off_call">true</bool>
<bool name="config_voice_capable">true</bool>
<bool name="config_sms_capable">true</bool>
<bool name="config_sip_wifi_only">false</bool>
<bool name="config_built_in_sip_phone">true</bool>
<bool name="skip_restoring_network_selection">false</bool>
<bool name="config_showMenuShortcutsWhenKeyboardPresent">false</bool>
<bool name="lockscreen_isPortrait">true</bool>
</resources>

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Been messing around with the framework-res.apk today after seeing some posts about the lock screen animation. Obviously this is pretty unfocused but I figured I'd share my results anyway in case anyone else wanted to mess around.

Lock Animation

Neat I guess, but it only works in Portrait mode.

User Agent String
    I changed the UA String in the browser to get around the about:debug nonsense. It now reports as:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Intel Mac OSX 10_6_3; 3.0.1; en-us; Xoom Build/HR166) AppleWebKit/534.13 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/534.13

SMS Support
    8E4ngl.jpg

This one was worth it just to get the stupid MyVerizon password. Works for outgoing and incoming but you have to install an SMS App. This will also allow you to enable your Xoom's phone number with Google Voice. Data charges apply.

Voice Support
    MzMRVl.jpg

I'm able to make calls using Google Voice but I have no idea if it is an IP call or what. Obviously I have no minutes on my plan. Note: The mic/speaker doesn't currently work so this is useless unless you use the SIP phone. I might look into this when I have time, for people connecting their Xoom's to other networks with voice plans.

SIP Phone
    RHmLEl.jpg

Build-in SIP client.

Installation
    Replace the framework-res.apk in /system/framework/ with the file attached and reboot. For whatever reason this might cause your accounts and Wallpaper to get removed. Requires Root. Make sure to back up your framework-res.apk. You'll probably need it the next time an update rolls out. Don't blame me if this breaks anything, but let me know if you see any issues (especially with date formatting).

To-Do: I'd like to fix the contacts app when Phone is enabled

Update 5/8:
    Added UA String fix for US/CAN WiFi. (Untested)
    Rebuilt UA String fix for VZW 3G using my new tool
    All versions have the language strings from CAN WiFi

Update 5/12
    3.1 Support for 3g VZW XOOM. (Use this if you updated using bigrushdog's method)
    Removed previous files
    Language Support is only partial. I do not have the new 3.1 language strings other than EN/ES so a few things will be English. Also, individual apps still need to support other languages (Settings, for example)

Update 2 - 5/12
    3.1 US WiFi Support (Do not use this if you updated using bigrushdog's method)

Files:
    full - CRT, SIP, SMS, UAString
    uastring - UAString

I cannot help you with custom combinations or different models unless I have the framework-res.apk from your model
    So does this mean that we can use this fix if we updated to 3.1 with BRD? I have been looking for this since 3.1 came out. did you just use the wifi version that is posted in the OP, did you have to change anything?

If you updated with BRD, use the "framework-res-uastring-3GVZW-3_1.apk" file. even if you have a wifi only xoom, that is the file you need if you updated using BRD's method. I didnt try using root explorer to copy it to framework because people have said there was issues with that method. I pushed the file with adb and everything is working perfectly. The only thing you will need to do is rename the file to framework-res.apk.
    Sorry guys I've been out of town. I know what the issue is with the dates, I just haven't had a chance to fix it.
    Try the attached out. Should fix the date issue. Still 3G only, etc. Let me know if you see any more 1$ issues.

I can upload one without the animation if you really want (that is just what inspired me to mess with the file). I noticed it works in landscape while the Xoom is upside down btw. I haven't really had a chance to do any more experimenting the last few days, or to look at the wifi file posted (I find it hard to believe these can't be merged. Only big difference should be the French strings?).

SMS is definitely not blocked. Make sure you don't have GV forward SMS to your Phone's number or you'll get charged.
    can i just install the framework apk for the ua string?

or do i need torename it and copy it and reboot my xoom

reason being is im already using a modified framework for my theme

wont it replace it if i flash this?

Yes, you have to rename it and replace it. If you want to apply this to your themed framework-res.apk do this

download the framework-res-uastring.apk
    extract resources.arsc using winrar

Open your themed framework-res.apk in winrar
    Delete resources.arsc from your themed framework-res.apk
    Drag your extracted resources.arsc into the winrar window
    Winrar will popup with a bunch of options
    Set the compression level option to Store
    Copy the themed framework-res.apk to your xoom

This will still only work on the Verizon XOOM.