Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

PhantomSectre

Account currently disabled
Sep 25, 2011
OnePlus 6T
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Just curious, but...

It seems like, as of late, someone starts to build a new ROM, then stops updating after 2 or 3 rc's, leaving the ROM unfinished. I understand the ROMs are created in someone's spare time, but why start a ROM if you never intend to finish it? Why not finish it before you start something else, or just delete the development thread so we're not sitting here waiting for the next release that never seems to come? No offense to anyone, just curious.

Reactions: Tha_Rookie

FBis251

Mar 21, 2011
www.fernandobarillas.com
Just curious, but...

It seems like, as of late, someone starts to build a new ROM, then stops updating after 2 or 3 rc's, leaving the ROM unfinished. I understand the ROMs are created in someone's spare time, but why start a ROM if you never intend to finish it? Why not finish it before you start something else, or just delete the development thread so we're not sitting here waiting for the next release that never seems to come? No offense to anyone, just curious.

Quit flashing ROMs since you'll never have a 100% guarantee that someone will finish a ROM. Go back to stock GB which has a bad modem and reboot problems. Oh wait, Samsung didn't exactly give you a good ROM either. ;)

Reactions: Beastmode

95Z28

Apr 29, 2011
Why is it that if the ROM never gets a final version its assumed its unfinished? The unfinished ROMs, ics mutt, cm7, miui, are all still works in progress (well maybe not miui, not sure of it's future). Seems to me everything else is fully functional and doesn't require anything else.
All the the most recent ones, unnamed, vb, icbinb, scom, these are problem free. Just find the right kernel and modem for your phone and they qualify as finished.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

Beastmode

Dec 28, 2010
Los Angeles
Im still updating mine but this post makes me not want to :p

And like the post above me said the title doesnt have to be final for it to be final. Also, the dev can choose to start a new rom bc people want the new mod they are bringing to it along with a new theme and tweaks.

So thank you devs for the many roms you guys release. :)

if you ain't first you're last :)

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
I think you should aim to non beta ROMs. At least this way you know you get a fully functional ROM. Regarding Final version, forget about it. Won't happen, won't be announced.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA

almighty bob

Feb 3, 2012
Frisco, TX
most developers acknowledge that there are going to be some dev cycles involved in their releases. I guess some non-developers either don't realize that or haven't picked up on that yet.

Nothing's perfect so take it as it is and don't complain, and if it has a "final" tag on it, it just means the developer is done working on it. Beggars can't be choosers, and choosers can download the source and modify it themselves (or fsck it up even more ;)).

jwalters1123

Oct 29, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Quit your belly aching dude, instead, a little appreciation would be a welcome change. We have so many different options to choose from. And every time my noob ass bricks my phone these guys have a post on how to fix it. Fb is right, go back to stock if it bothers you so much, but I'll stick with my 2 day battery life.

side note: on dictionary. com the word of the day is ungrateful turdlicker.

C

chris31jct

I think that people get desperate when devs release and early version of a rom instead of an almost final. I think it would be best to release the "final" version to public and since there are many devs with the phone and so many wise users that know how to test and report correctly. In my humble opinion, a dev should pick a group of testers, silently and then release a "final" that probably would have 0 to very few changes. That way devs don't get pissed when people ask same questions and bring up many problems.

I have no problem testing or trying alpha, beta, charlie, delta......... zeta releases, but my concern is with devs releasing lots of projects and getting mad by people asking how to this and how to that. Yeah, read... blablabla yadda yadda... I know no one is in the obligation of doing nothing, either flash or develop or answer questions or help. Thing is that this is a community very diverse and noobs are going to be noobs, haters gonna hate and passive people will be passive...

No need to flame the OP. I think it's a good question, tho.

RaverX3X

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 13, 2011
Cali
considering i no longer have a sgs4g it would be hard to update it. The rom itself is fine.. Don't see an issue. If you don't like the theme change it. If you don't like the rom learn how to make your own.

Beastmode

Dec 28, 2010
Los Angeles
I think that people get desperate when devs release and early version of a rom instead of an almost final. I think it would be best to release the "final" version to public and since there are many devs with the phone and so many wise users that know how to test and report correctly. In my humble opinion, a dev should pick a group of testers, silently and then release a "final" that probably would have 0 to very few changes. That way devs don't get pissed when people ask same questions and bring up many problems.

I have no problem testing or trying alpha, beta, charlie, delta......... zeta releases, but my concern is with devs releasing lots of projects and getting mad by people asking how to this and how to that. Yeah, read... blablabla yadda yadda... I know no one is in the obligation of doing nothing, either flash or develop or answer questions or help. Thing is that this is a community very diverse and noobs are going to be noobs, haters gonna hate and passive people will be passive...

No need to flame the OP. I think it's a good question, tho.

When a rom is release an OP comes with it where bugs known are said from the get go. As for bug reported devs are fine with them as long as logs are attached and they are real bugs and not just "I want a better theme" or "how do I install this rom".

As for flaming, it's actually a rule that we can't do this to one another on xda.

Beastmode

Dec 28, 2010
Los Angeles
Eric, what if we say "no offense " before we flame someone... Then it's cool right?

Nope, if you read my posts I'm not flaming the guy but I am sharing my view on this. I haven't insulted the OP but like him shared my view on why roms get released early and why we don't get final builds.

Beastmode

Dec 28, 2010
Los Angeles
Oh :(

Lmao now idk if you're trying to imply something on me or you're being genuine lol

But yea we all have our opinions but this kind of thread discourages devs and before we get a troll saying that's a lie just look up and you'll see thomas(a dev) doensnt like this. :)

C

chris31jct

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate all dev work even if it's "unfinished" or w/e. Is just that this kind of discussion has been around since the beginning and people knew this phone ain't easy. Not trying to discourage any further development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    first off ill never break the links sorry as long as xda is around they will be there for people to download use and or modify in which ever way it seems fit. To remove that would go against the whole open source idea. You have a issue with the way i handle posts fine that's your right to feel as if i sound to harsh. You are looking at it from the USER standpoint look at it from a development standpoint. A it takes along time to get power menu mods lock screens modified tabs anything hell even themeing to properly work right. Anyone who has done any work outside of 7z hero skills knows how much time it takes to just even add the simplest things like a power menu and have them work correctly. Heck even Just theremin the dialer and adding different things to that can take up to a few hours. Why do i bring this up because its time now for you to hear the other side.

Look though The threads any threads rom or other wise. You get 1 percent useful log cats 9 percent people that don't have issues with it cause they read the op. and more then not 80-90 percent of people that don't bother to read the op dont post useful log-cats actually with there posts don't post anything useful at all.

Now you ask why did i say 80 90 percent wheres the extra 10 percent. That comes in from other devs or users that decided to help try to better everyone's experience by helping other users with errors and trying to field questions that have been asked and answered or by people that blandly dont read. This is no way directed at the sgs4g community as more of the smart phone community as a whole. People come here just for the roms or to make there phone cool. This is a development website not a make ur phone cool website. weather we have 1 release or 10000 releases That's what this site is about.
    Alright guys!!

XDA - "Developers"

Let the development continue :) Its all about sharing and developing. If it is unfinished and yet up for testing, I am sure that the OP will put sufficient info in the first post.

If its ready.. enjoy.. if you want to change it.. take permission.. if you want to use it.. pls do.. its free as the dev put countless hours to bring it to you..

You wanna complain about unfinished work... DONT!! Unless its seriously going to harm your phone.

Such threads help no one but feed the trolls.

Cheers!
    Just curious, but...

Just curious, but...

Quit flashing ROMs since you'll never have a 100% guarantee that someone will finish a ROM. Go back to stock GB which has a bad modem and reboot problems. Oh wait, Samsung didn't exactly give you a good ROM either. ;)
    considering i no longer have a sgs4g it would be hard to update it. The rom itself is fine.. Don't see an issue. If you don't like the theme change it. If you don't like the rom learn how to make your own.
    Raver this isnt a beef with you, but a beef with how you respond. I have said the same thing to a dev that was one of the first people to create a rom for the Optimus V and created ROMtools when he resurrected his dead rom thread to tell us he wasnt going to work on it anymore. Four months after his last post mind you. Stop posting in the threads update the OP with huge red letters stating its basically dead and break the dl links. That stops people from using your rom. If somebody wants to pick up your work ( much like FB has) then they can create a new thread. This isnt just directed at you either this is for any dev that stops working on a roms and cant ignore the noise after the fact.

With posts like this, why even try?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA
    Because there are people that want to see you suceed and get your project working. Prove we dont have to have CM7 to get a port of ICS for our phone.

erikmm dont take this wrong, but how many versions of your rom was released in its first two weeks of life? Personally I would do like chris31jct suggests and get a group of people to test and not release seven versions in two weeks to the public.