[Q] 4K UHD recording problem

Search This thread

Hellabiker

Jun 9, 2014
Hey guys! i have a problem with my s5.

I was trying out my 4K video recording.. when playing back the video, the video extremely lags and becomes very blurry.

I tried restarting my phone and closed all running apps. but still no change.

has anyone experienced this? please HELP!

Thank you :)

jopat

May 25, 2014
I'm guessing that the video recorded was save in your microsd card and your card happened to have slow write & read speeds. Recording at 4k resolution requires fast write speed. If the video was recorded at slow speed, the video saved will exhibit the symptoms you are experiencing.

Reactions: Hellabiker

Hellabiker

Jun 9, 2014
I'm guessing that the video recorded was save in your microsd card and your card happened to have slow write & read speeds. Recording at 4k resolution requires fast write speed. If the video was recorded at slow speed, the video saved will exhibit the symptoms you are experiencing.

I switched to device storage but still no improvement.

No problem in HD 1080p recording. only on UHD 4K.

Hellabiker

Jun 9, 2014
when i say lag.. I mean, the video hangs. and when it does cope up, it becomes distorted. but the sound is good.

jopat

May 25, 2014
Then there's no other probable cause, other than your memory card is faulty. If you're using a modified rom, then ditch it.

Last edited:

jopat

May 25, 2014
Back up your phone then try to reset it to factory settings and format your internal storage. Also, maybe you want to try other UHD camera apps. I'm running out of ideas if everything else is working properly because the best bet is the storage problem. You can also try copying the problem videos to your computer and try playing it there, but be reminded that your computer should first be able to playback UHD videos. It needs to be a modern computer.

Hellabiker

Jun 9, 2014
Back up your phone then try to reset it to factory settings and format your internal storage. Also, maybe you want to try other UHD camera apps. I'm running out of ideas if everything else is working properly because the best bet is the storage problem. You can also try copying the problem videos to your computer and try playing it there, but be reminded that your computer should first be able to playback UHD videos. It needs to be a modern computer.

alright! I'll try that. thanks for the tip.

I'll try to watch it using my macbook pro retina :)

jopat

May 25, 2014
What happened when you copied the files to your computer harddisk and play them in your computer?

jopat

May 25, 2014
It works perfectly fine on my macboook pro retina.

do does this mean that the problem is my device??
If it plays properly in your computer, then that means the video was recorded properly. Then problem is the app that you are using. Try re-scanning your directory. If that doesn't work, try using other apps.

bnight

Nov 26, 2010
Sofia
Could you try playing the video on the phone with something like MX Player probably I see sometimes the default Video player to has issues even with 1080p video so better player is required but if you watch the video fine on the PC then why you want to watch it on the phone any way you likely wouldn`t notice the difference between 1080p and UHD on the Galaxy S5 screen.

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Could you try playing the video on the phone with something like MX Player probably I see sometimes the default Video player to has issues even with 1080p video so better player is required but if you watch the video fine on the PC then why you want to watch it on the phone any way you likely wouldn`t notice the difference between 1080p and UHD on the Galaxy S5 screen.

^ Good advice. You confirmed that the recording is good. The most productive thing at this point might be to find out if there is any visible difference between 1080p and UHD on a small, 5.1 inch screen. As to what is causing the playback issue it may well be inherent limitations of the stock player or a firmware issue, hence the suggestion to try MX player. It could also be background apps monopolizing your processor. Another thing you might look into is whether trimming your device memory helps. One app to do that is lagfix.

Hellabiker

Jun 9, 2014
It finally worked! the MX player played the 4k video properly. finally!!

I was already thinking of selling my phone haha

What does this mean? Isn't it that the stock player should support and play the 4K video properly? whats wrong with it?

bnight

Nov 26, 2010
Sofia
What does this mean? Isn't it that the stock player should support and play the 4K video properly? whats wrong with it?

The stock player miss some codecs as well as it`s not very fast in processing video don`t know why but just think it`s not supposed to be used for what we used it. On the other hand MX Player has the full ffmpeg codec set and it`s optimized for slower processors then the one in the S5 so that`s why it`s working better then the stock video player. However I did record 1 minute of UHD video and it played well on the stock player currently UHD video is limited to 5 minutes.

But yes I do use mostly MX Player as it`s really good.

jopat

May 25, 2014
It finally worked! the MX player played the 4k video properly. finally!!

I was already thinking of selling my phone haha

I'm glad you finally sorted it out. The stock video player should have no problem playing the video recorded by the phone itself, but then nothing is perfect. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It works perfectly fine on my macboook pro retina.

do does this mean that the problem is my device??
    If it plays properly in your computer, then that means the video was recorded properly. Then problem is the app that you are using. Try re-scanning your directory. If that doesn't work, try using other apps.

^ Good advice. You confirmed that the recording is good. The most productive thing at this point might be to find out if there is any visible difference between 1080p and UHD on a small, 5.1 inch screen. As to what is causing the playback issue it may well be inherent limitations of the stock player or a firmware issue, hence the suggestion to try MX player. It could also be background apps monopolizing your processor. Another thing you might look into is whether trimming your device memory helps. One app to do that is lagfix.